Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok: Which is the best hotel? (2003 - 2007)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Jet Airways Platinum,
Originally Posted by NYEsq
I actually found that the SPG awards at the Athenee is actually only 1000 points more than the Sheraton, (not to mention saving $135 of the "cash" and points).

So, assuming price is equal, would the Athenee be a better choice for 3 days of touring/eating/shopping in BKK?

How about in terms of hotel facilities/pool?
I just got back from two nights at the Athenee. I normally stay at the Conrad but the 3000pts promo got me going there. The Club floor is nice but the rooms though large seem to lack character in comparision to the Conrad. The pool is ok and the gym about average. The lobby is spacious and the service good but nothing great. The club lounge is standard. In short, nothing great about this property.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:01 am

Programs: QF Gold, TG Silver, Hyatt Platinium, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by IndiaFlyer
I normally stay at the Conrad but the 3000pts promo got me going there.
What promo is that one?
Old Apr 1, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT/Delta PM/Marriot Gold
Arrow Bangkok General Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

Need to pick a hotel for a two night pre cruise stay, I will be using points and am a Starwood Plat, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
FV
Old Apr 1, 2007, 11:45 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
All the props in BKK are good. There are about one million threads on this topic.

I'd look at hotel category and spend only what you need to spend.

SGS, WGS and Plaza Athenee are all nice. I've never stayed at the Sheraton Orchid on the river but you may consider it if you are going to do the tourist thing.

Good Luck.

Scho
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:16 am

Schoflyer may have slightly underestimated the number of threads on this topic. Nevertheless...

I've stayed at SGS, WGS, and ROS. All are very good properties.

SGS and WGS are on a main drag and adjacent to a SkyTrain station. This makes them excellent choices if you want to do lots of shopping and easily move around the city.

ROS is on the river, a bit removed from much of the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. That makes the ROS a good choice if you want to relax a bit.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
The Royal Orchid is a good bargain for reward nights (3k - 4k per night!).
I have stayed there about 5 times in the last 6 months and have always been upgraded to a suite.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Currently in the WGS for my first stay. Very impressed with the hotel and the staff. Even the basic deluxe rooms are a good size and well kitted out. Back again at the end of a week in suite, so looking forward to it.

I can definitely recommend either the WGS or SGS for their location as well. Right next to the Skytrain station too, so easy to get around.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:54 am

I've stayed at the ROS, SGS, and the LM. The SGS is great but more expensive if using points. If you want to do the touristy thing, the ROS has a great location. It is great waking up in the morning and looking out over the river. It is also easy to hop on a boat and go up and down the river.

I was not impressed with the LM. IMO, it is not worth a Cat 3.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:54 am

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
best topic to search F/T for...

Many threads, many comments on this one...
SGS is good redemption value, great first timer, or tourist locale...
Le Meridien is a very nice hotel too...

Really, no losers in BKK...
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:15 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
my suggestion

depending what you want to do.

you wanna go to party and drink and meet girls

go for the WESTIN ( good lounge , good staff, nice suites)

i dont like the SGS as the suites are old .

if you dont care about location the LeMeridien is very nice. very huge and nice lounge. had a foiegras there last time...
suite was lovely , its no problem to go to the Tunnel from there

the ROS is out of no-where... i dont like the location there is nothing near . but point redemption is nice and the new suites are good, the old tower suites are crap.

so

1.) Meridien
2.) Westin
3.) SGS
4.) ROS

dp
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Had a great experience at the ROS last July for several days on my honeymoon. Lobby is nice, rooms are good (especially the tower rooms), they have a nice breakfast spread - all around a good stay. They're on the river and have a stop on the water taxi, which in turn, has a stop on at the Skytrain - makes it easy to get around town if you're on a leisurely pace.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by derpelikan

the ROS is out of no-where... i dont like the location there is nothing near . but point redemption is nice and the new suites are good, the old tower suites are crap.
I actually love the location. You are right next to a ferry wharf which gets you to all the sights with a breeze. Tuk Tuks will take you to anything landlocked quickly. Staff is friendly, food is good. However, as derpelikan pointed out, there are some really crappy old rooms in this hotel if you are not lucky. Being a Platinum should get you a nice room however.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:33 pm

Royal orchid is great -- stayed their for two nights and indulged in a great massage at the spa on the 1st floor (I think) it was awesome -- fairly reasonable -- make sure to ask for a room overlooking the river and on a top floor -- great view
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:57 am

I too love the location of the ROS especially for a tourist. Traveling on the river is much easier than waiting in traffic. I recently stayed at the LM and was not impressed. The beds were truly rock hard as quoted elsewhere. The lounge is nice but not as nice as the ROS.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
If you're talking only 2 nights before you move on, I would vote for the ROS - IMHO the location and the hotel itself will allow you to get a better sense of Bangkok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.