Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pics of an aloft Suite...yes a SUITE!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:50 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Exactly, I have always got upgrade to 2 bedrooms at Hyatt Summerfield Suites and got the rooms on the highest floor at Hyatt Place. Just like some 4 points ,even when all the room are sames, there are some "preferred rooms."

Originally Posted by holtju2
It really doesn't make any sense. Why not to have the same upgrade benefits as other SPG brands especially considering the lower PLT amenity that already "penalizes" aLoft stays?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
None. Both aloft and Element-branded hotels are exempt from having to offer any complimentary upgrades based upon elite status in SPG. That was added to the Terms and Conditions of Membership in SPG before the first aloft opened.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

I guess aloft has the DNA of W hotels after all. It's not whatever, whenever, but eh, whatever.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy LTT,
Only 250pt Plat amenity
No upgrades for Gold or Plat
Priced approximately like Sheratons, yet have lower benefits

I might checkout an aloft during the quadruple points promo, but will otherwise avoid them like a Scarriott.

Thankfully I found out before booking a stay. Being blindsided would have ticked me off. Does the web site at least notify customers of this "Limited Participation" like SVO properties?

Never mind, I just check and the answer is NO. This lack of disclosure is borderline deceptive.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 1:47 am

Hmm, just from looking at the pics I find the design a bit tacky. The choice of furniture looks rather hodge podge, like everything was thrown together at the last minute. As a junior W I expected more style and edginess. The colour of the carpet doesn't exactly go well with the couch for instance.

But as always the proof of the pudding is in the staying so I still look forward to checking an aLoft out.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:51 am

Question

Upgrades to suites, even if they exist, are not a Platinum member benefit at either aloft or Element hotels.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
William, so that I do not have any false expectations when I stay at my first Aloft property in a couple of weeks, what addtional benefits that Platinum SPG members enjoy at other Starwood brands will not happen when staying at Aloft and Element brands?

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I wonder if this lack of upgrades was a negotiating point during development for the owners of the newly branded hotels..."sure we'll be glad to be the new owners of the O'Hare Aloft, so long as we don't have to manage the upgrade requests of those pesky Platinum guests."

I was just about to book a stay at the ORD Aloft...now its probably the Sheraton Suites for me...

It's really ok. I'm sure with the anticipated increase in hotel stays due to the solid economy, that this strategy will have no effect on revpar.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Not impressed.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Score8
I wonder if this lack of upgrades was a negotiating point during development for the owners of the newly branded hotels..."sure we'll be glad to be the new owners of the O'Hare Aloft, so long as we don't have to manage the upgrade requests of those pesky Platinum guests."..
That's not even close. The reason is that out of all of the aloft hotels being built, only a handful will even have suites and those that do will have only one or two per property. As far as I know, it's the same with the Element brand.

So, if I had to take an educated guess, it would be that they did not want to set expectations over what could be delivered on a consistent basis.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
William, so that I do not have any false expectations when I stay at my first Aloft property in a couple of weeks, what addtional benefits that Platinum SPG members enjoy at other Starwood brands will not happen when staying at Aloft and Element brands?

Thanks for your help.
I don't know why anyone would have any false expectations if they read the Terms and Conditions of Membership in SPG, but 1) the Platinum welcome amenity is 250 Starpoints...period; 2) they do not have a lounge in the sense that Sheratons and Westins do; and 3) the complimentary upgrade benefit does not apply.

Other than that, I would expect all other benefits to be delivered.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
what addtional benefits that Platinum SPG members enjoy at other Starwood brands will not happen when staying at Aloft and Element brands?
First aLoft stay: kiosk said to stop by the desk for a little "treat". Desk lady had no clue and denied the kiosk offered me a treat.

Second aLoft stay: checked in with desk, asked if there was anything Platinums get besides the 250 points, dude looked around and handed me a low-fat Granola bar. Looking at my surprised face, he handed me 2 more and said "what the heck, here's a few more".

Keep your expectations low and you'll be happy
Old Nov 14, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
That's not even close. The reason is that out of all of the aloft hotels being built, only a handful will even have suites and those that do will have only one or two per property. As far as I know, it's the same with the Element brand.

So, if I had to take an educated guess, it would be that they did not want to set expectations over what could be delivered on a consistent basis.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
However as we know there are many hotels under the SPG flag that lack the fully diversified pool of rooms from 'single bed adjacent to ice room and elevator' to 'pres suite'. My point being that it is nearly impossible to have a hotel full of the same room quality. If providing Platinums the 'best available room' is under a different guideline than the 'complimentary upgrade' exclusion, then perhaps my issue is moot. However if a Plat guest is equally as likely to get the elevator treatment as a general member, that's not encouraging.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
I agree. If William can pass our concern to the brand/program managers, at least Starwood can review this policy. It really doesn't make too much sense to me. If the lack of suites or lounge is really the reason,there is no value to Gold upgrade at all in any Starwood hotel.

Originally Posted by Score8
However as we know there are many hotels under the SPG flag that lack the fully diversified pool of rooms from 'single bed adjacent to ice room and elevator' to 'pres suite'. My point being that it is nearly impossible to have a hotel full of the same room quality. If providing Platinums the 'best available room' is under a different guideline than the 'complimentary upgrade' exclusion, then perhaps my issue is moot. However if a Plat guest is equally as likely to get the elevator treatment as a general member, that's not encouraging.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I've stayed at the aLoft in Lexington, Ma about a half dozen times so far and have more upcoming stays booked. This brand is funky and fun. I would much rather stay here than a stodgy old Sheraton. A gym, a pool, free wi-fi, flat screen tv...mountain bikes to borrow to ride the trails in the area. My wife loves the bliss products.

Don't sell this branding short.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by studio253
I've stayed at the aLoft in Lexington, Ma about a half dozen times so far and have more upcoming stays booked. This brand is funky and fun. I would much rather stay here than a stodgy old Sheraton. A gym, a pool, free wi-fi, flat screen tv...mountain bikes to borrow to ride the trails in the area. My wife loves the bliss products.

Don't sell this branding short.
I agree its a great brand, and a modern/spiffy alternative to so many dull hotels. But in terms of the SPG program, where is the added value of elite recognition?

I understand it's a budget chain, and most rooms are the same so there is nothing to upgrade to, but I wish SPG would think out of the box a little and offer something for Gold and Plat members: maybe it's the first row of parking closest to the building reserved for Gold/Plat members? A $5 credit to encourage additional spend at re:fuel? A certificate for buy one/get one free a wxzy? Something, anything to make the same folks who get near-royal treatment at a Westin or W feel appreciated and special.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:07 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I agree its a great brand, and a modern/spiffy alternative to so many dull hotels. But in terms of the SPG program, where is the added value of elite recognition?

I understand it's a budget chain, and most rooms are the same so there is nothing to upgrade to, but I wish SPG would think out of the box a little and offer something for Gold and Plat members: maybe it's the first row of parking closest to the building reserved for Gold/Plat members? A $5 credit to encourage additional spend at re:fuel? A certificate for buy one/get one free a wxzy? Something, anything to make the same folks who get near-royal treatment at a Westin or W feel appreciated and special.
Well, I guess Starwood can just test what elites do when they don't get any benefits. If the elites keep coming like at any of the other properties, then this is a clear signal for Starwood on how to develop elite benefits in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.