Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DC777Fan
Commonly asked questions about St. Regis "Butlers:"

1. What requests can they fulfill?
Generally, butlers can unpack/pack your suitcases, press a few pieces of laundry at no charge, act as a single POC for your requests to many different hotel departments, and other hotel-related services.

2. Should I tip my butler? How much?
The prevailing thought process in the thread suggests butlers should at least be tipped for "above and beyond" type service, and potentially more at your discretion and accounting for local tipping customs.

Other St. Regis Butler Information:
-If your room rate includes "Butler Service," coffee and tea (usually comes with small bites) will be delivered to your room at no charge upon request. Not all rooms at all hotels come with Butler Service.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: St Regis Butler Service : what do they do? how much do you tip?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 1:38 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IMO that's not an unreasonable response. You asked for hot water, not a pot/cup of tea.
Hotel staff, particularly top tier such as StR and PH are taught to say "Certainly" and never, ever "No."

The Butler should have delivered the hot water as per the guest's request.
Old May 13, 2016, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Hotel staff, particularly top tier such as StR and PH are taught to say "Certainly" and never, ever "No."

The Butler should have delivered the hot water as per the guest's request.
I agree with you. I find the butler's reply, if quoted verbatim, almost rude.

Let him/her make another entry into his/her memoirs under "strange/superfluous things guests have asked me to bring"; he/she should still have fulfilled the request.
Old May 13, 2016, 10:58 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by silver-tls
I recently asked the butler for hot water for tea and they said I should just use the kettle in the room as that is what it is there for.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
IMO that's not an unreasonable response. You asked for hot water, not a pot/cup of tea.
Absolutely agree. What next? "Oh, well, for your 'convenience,' we provide an iron and board in your room so that you can press your own clothes whenever you'd like."
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tncjoey
Do you all tip in Thailand? I always give a small tip for the bags, but that's about it.

In China the same. 20 to 50 RMB
What would be considered an reasonable tip now in China?

Of course tipping in asia is much different than the US.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I find the butler service to basically be a one stop shop for all other things I usually request with variance: plug adapters, shoe shine, extra towels/pillows, some pressing/laundry.

I have never used the unpacking or packing service as many times i am not there more than a couple days and keep everything in my suitcase except for items that need pressing or formal clothes that should be hung.

I do believe in tipping a modest amount depending on where.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Hi all - I've started staying at more St. Regis properties lately and had a question around tipping - does anyone know if it's possible to leave it on your room tab when you checkout? I've never asked as I would feel kind of awkward if they say no (and I hadn't left cash in the room) but I am constantly finding it a pain because I carry very little/no cash and am used to being able to do everything cashless, so I am usually stuck running to an ATM last minute, and one trip I ran out of time and felt like a you-know-what for not leaving anything - just a crazy morning and the last thing on my mind was going to an ATM to get cash.

Any insight? One of these trips I may ask if no one knows the answer but hoping someone has thought of this before
Old Aug 24, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Hi all - I've started staying at more St. Regis properties lately and had a question around tipping - does anyone know if it's possible to leave it on your room tab when you checkout? I've never asked as I would feel kind of awkward if they say no (and I hadn't left cash in the room) but I am constantly finding it a pain because I carry very little/no cash and am used to being able to do everything cashless, so I am usually stuck running to an ATM last minute, and one trip I ran out of time and felt like a you-know-what for not leaving anything - just a crazy morning and the last thing on my mind was going to an ATM to get cash.

Any insight? One of these trips I may ask if no one knows the answer but hoping someone has thought of this before
You may have a gratuity added to your bill.

The Butler model is different among the StRs. Some have Butlers by floor or building. Some only offer the Butlers to guests in suites. Some assign a Butler by guest. Some only have 2 Butlers per shift to handle all the suites. That makes tipping a little difficult if you want to leave one on your bill. Figure out which your StR has before you do that end-of stay tip - someone may be left out or someone who never worked for you will get a cut of the group tip.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slidergirl
You may have a gratuity added to your bill.

The Butler model is different among the StRs. Some have Butlers by floor or building. Some only offer the Butlers to guests in suites. Some assign a Butler by guest. Some only have 2 Butlers per shift to handle all the suites. That makes tipping a little difficult if you want to leave one on your bill. Figure out which your StR has before you do that end-of stay tip - someone may be left out or someone who never worked for you will get a cut of the group tip.
Thanks slidergirl! I am at the StR NYC almost monthly. I am rarely around to notice these things, but I *think* the butler service is per floor/area. I have only had the same butler for a second day in a row on one occasion. Granted, I'm not usually requesting much but in general any time I have they've been great. Good to know I can leave something on the bill at checkout.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: too many
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but it's the perfect one to place my question.
OH and I will be doing a 4-day kids-free R&R in Mallorca, and splurged on a one-night stay at the St regis there.
Since it's our first tine in a St Regis, what should we expect?
I've read the thread and Butler services description link ( Butler Service in Hotel | St. Regis Hotels & Resorts ) but I'm wondering about a few things.
1. What would typically be considered a chargeable service at this property? Other hotels I've stayed in would charge for a dental kit for instance, some wouldn't. Focusing on in-room amenities here. Never using minibar but wondering about other services/amenities available
2. We're not the type of people to splurge on things (last time whas at the Gran Melia Rome when I proposed more than half a decade ago), any ideas on making this a special trip? Is there a dedicated e-mail address for butlers at each property?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: Biggly ones everywhere
Mallorca is Spain

No one expects a tip for their job in Spain.

Use, don't abuse the Butler.

And tipping needs to go the way of the Dinosaur. Troll me all you want, but I've gone basically cashless.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: too many
Thanks for the info redanman!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.