Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Which would you spend: $350 or 14,000 points (3 nights at LM Siem Reap?)

Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;

I have a pretty good grasp of my HHonors and Hyatt points, but don't have a good feel for my SPG points yet.

I will soon be staying at the Le Meridien Ankgor (Siem Reap, Cambodia) for my honeymoon. The hotel is a Cat 2 hotel.
I currently have 3 nights reserved (@ 4K per night), but noticed I use the 'buy 3, pay for 2' promo and get the same three nights for $348 with all taxes included.

If I pay, I would also earn another 2K points, so in essence, my award stay would 'cost' me 14K points (12K + 2K I would not be earning).

Also, the paid stay comes with breakfast, the award stay does not.

Which would you do - pay the $350, or redeem the 12K points for the 3 night stay?

FWIW, I'm not trying to requalify for status next year. I got my Plat status with a Status Match.

Thanks for your input!
Bostonbali
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:58 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
How about Cash and Miles?

I got it for 1600 SPG per night and $30 IIRC?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by ingy
Hey, what do you know, this option (1,600 points + $30) is available (though only for 2 beds as opposed to one king, but I can always try to change that at check in).
Sounds like that might be my best option, do you all agree?

Ingy - were you provided breakfast when you had an award stay here, or were you on your own for that?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by bostonbali
Sounds like that might be my best option, do you all agree?
Of the three options, it's the one I would take.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It depends on how you feel about spending your own money vs using points. I save my points to stay somewhere that is very expensive, and pay if I am only spending a few hundred dollars. In this case, I would keep my points and pay, especially to get a free breakfast as well that you might not get on an award.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:59 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If my math is right, the c&p option is $260 less for 4800 points vs cash*. At more than 5 cents a point, that seems like a winner.

Similar math on an all award would say to save the addtional $90, you would have to use 9200 points.

C&P is the way to go, unless you earn slowly and are saving up for a splashy Cat 6 or above stay.

PS * Valued breakfast at $0, adjust my math accordingly
Old Nov 7, 2008, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
If you need the stay credit for status, I would pay. If you have enough stays/nights for your desired status, just use points. look into cash and points rates, you might find a good deal.

I like to save my points for use at the end of the year once I re-qualify for my desired status. Then I try to use points for cat 4-5 and higher to get the best value.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all,
I locked in the C+P. That seemed like the best deal, and best of all, I don't have to shell out that much money!

I appreciate the quick input.
BB
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by ingy
That is what we did last year. I thought it was a great deal. I don't think breakfast was included in our rate though. It was a nice place. Don't drink the water
Old Nov 7, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by Richard1148
It depends on how you feel about spending your own money vs using points. I save my points to stay somewhere that is very expensive, and pay if I am only spending a few hundred dollars. In this case, I would keep my points and pay, especially to get a free breakfast as well that you might not get on an award.
Whether or not you neeed the stay credit, just man or woman up and pay it. I have been ther many times, and ..., it is just a lifetime memory. Pay and rack up the points/credits.
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
It would be a pity to go all the way to Siem Reap and stay in a chain hotel. There are so many other nicer independent hotels (ok no points) that are not only cheaper but more personable.

I stayed at the Shinta Mani hotel in REP when I was there 2 years ago. The hotel contributes directly to the local economy where they train and educate the locals. Your contribution also subsidises local families.

Ok - so don't bother with it, but at least have a read : http://www.shintamani.com/

Then of course, there's the FCC : http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

BTW if you're going to the Wats - consider a local guide and do the opposite from the masses.

The general consensus is : Temple Mount for Sunrise, then Ta Phrom, then Elephant Wall, then lunch then Angkor Wat.

My friend and I skipped Temple Mount and went straight to Ta Phrom at 7am and we were literally the only ones there, then to early lunch, then Angkor Wat (just when everybody is leaving for lunch) and we were one of many 30 other people there as opposed to one of hundreds!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 8, 2008 at 3:47 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.