Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, Closing 23 Jul 2017

Old Feb 12, 2007, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Trip report for the Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport

Staff
-----
Knowledgable. Curteous. Provided a free postcard and offered to take care of the postage. Early check in (12 noon) was available due to lack of rooms sold Friday night. Our stay was on a Saturday.

Rooms
------
Regular room with one king was adequate (we have two small children). Bathroom was tolerable except for lack of slip prevention on floor of shower. Wireless or wired internet access was $9.95 / night. A business center was available where wired was free. Also, a minor detail was that the lampshade on one of the lamps was cracked.

Bar/Restaurant
--------------
Staff wasn't particularly friendly. There was a jukebox. Atmosphere was upscale lounge. Did not ask for a menu.

Pricing
------
I am staying here on a paid stay and I would say the room price was cheap. However, we were staying on a special $89 / night fare due to the hotel having a recent upgrade. That said, room was ~ 50% less than comparable hotels in the area. Gift shop prices were high, but to be expected.

Surrounding Area
----------------
Atlanta Airport. Our room faced out over one of the runways.

Hope this helps.

MrDP
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:19 pm

Thanks for the report. I have a stay planned for May.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:00 am

Programs: DL Medallion, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
I will be staying here in two weeks. I guess for the $89 price tag it was alright. I have the same rate. I guess I shouldn't expect much as this is a exceptionally low rate for a Sheraton.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 6:20 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by travelman2129
I will be staying here in two weeks. I guess for the $89 price tag it was alright. I have the same rate. I guess I shouldn't expect much as this is a exceptionally low rate for a Sheraton.
The rates plummet on the weekend. By virtue of its proximity to the airport (and NOTHING else) this Shertaon caters almost exclusively to business travelers during the week, when rates are about double the weekend rate.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
anyone stay here recently????
Old Mar 22, 2013, 8:00 am

I swear staff should be a plural subject.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:23 am

Closing July 23. Sold in May to the city, being demolished for new runways for the airport.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/5/15...sheraton-hotel

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...language=en_US
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by James Luckard
Closing July 23
Tread title updated. Though the hotels own website seems a little less definitive :

Leaving Marriott on July 23, 2017
The Sheraton Atlanta Airport Hotel will be leaving Marriott on July 23, 2017. Reservations for dates on or after July 23, 2017, will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
RIP?

Did this property close?
If so, it is no great loss. Memories from my last stay in 2016:
- the pool was sad looking, very badly maintained;
- the lounge was nothing special;
- the fitness area was a joke.
What will replace it for cheap Starwood stays in ATL? The Westin?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
What will replace it for cheap Starwood stays in ATL? The Westin?
If you need cheap SPG stays in ATL for status, not sure of the answer.

If you need stays where you can earn points, there are two full-service Marriott brand Gateway properties: Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway and Marriott Atlanta Airport Gateway, and then you can transfer the points back to SPG. There's also the Renaissance Airport & Marriott Airport; they're not Gateway properties, but a bit over a mile away.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.