Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What kind of exchange rate is SPG using??? (Update: poster error)

Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold

I am going to blame this post on Monday morning blues. My calculations were wayyy off (i was thinking in opposites). Pretty dumb for a CFA level 2 and Finance major, which is why I blame it on monday morning blues Carry on!

Last edited by kendalh; Oct 27, 2008 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:38 pm

come on... it's only some pity points.. consider that I only got 1.02 CAD back in September..
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Call them on it. Every time I go to Canada I have to. Every point counts.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by money_opp
come on... it's only some pity points.. consider that I only got 1.02 CAD back in September..
Individually, yes, it is some pity points. However, collectively, in all their Canadian hotels, they are saving a lot of points by using an unfair, and extremely out dated exchange rate.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

edit.

Last edited by kendalh; Oct 27, 2008 at 1:16 pm
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Hmmm ... the Canadian dollar is going down the toilet and is worth a lot less than the US dollar today. Currently 1 US$ is worth 1.3 Cdn$.

However even if we use your exchange rate of 1.2, your spend of Cdn$1393 = US$1160. So at 2 pts/$ spent, the most you should have got was 2320 pts. Looks like you did OK to me!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Hmmm ... the Canadian dollar is going down the toilet and is worth a lot less than the US dollar today. Currently 1 US$ is worth 1.3 Cdn$.

However even if we use your exchange rate of 1.2, your spend of Cdn$1393 = US$1160. So at 2 pts/$ spent, the most you should have got was 2320 pts. Looks like you did OK to me!
Yes, but you took unfair advantage of research and facts rather than siding with the aggrieved OP.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl

As stated in my first post, blaming this one on the monday blues. I was thinking opposite for some crazy reason.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:42 pm

I'm sure the decline (again) of the Canadian dollar will kill any chances we had of getting the SPG MBNA mastercard revamped as a true 1:1 whenever the agreement on that came up.

Regards,
Michael
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by kendalh
I am going to blame this post on Monday morning blues. My calculations were wayyy off (i was thinking in opposites). Pretty dumb for a CFA level 2 and Finance major, which is why I blame it on monday morning blues Carry on!
Uhm... did you pass level 2? cause i don't believe that is the correct use of the CFA designation..... LOL

I was always on the cusp each year cause ethics seems like such a "gray" area to me.... :P
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cartman13
Uhm... did you pass level 2? cause i don't believe that is the correct use of the CFA designation..... LOL

I was always on the cusp each year cause ethics seems like such a "gray" area to me.... :P
haha yes i did, and technically this is not the correct way. I am a CFA Candidate who has completed level 2. Happier :P
Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:04 pm

haha yes i did, and technically this is not the correct way. I am a CFA Candidate who has completed level 2. Happier :P
Good thing, i was gonna have to report you.... j/k. I just couldn't believe how much time they spent on how to properly use those letters. funny and sad at the same time. Lvl II was a tought one, congrats.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
From personal experience, you'll get different FX rates with different hotels. I've noticed this when I've stayed at 2 different hotels with the exact same CAD nightly rate. As such, I've got a feeling the hotel may be the one applying the FX rate and not SPG.

Lurkers, feel free to discredit my theory.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
From personal experience, you'll get different FX rates with different hotels. I've noticed this when I've stayed at 2 different hotels with the exact same CAD nightly rate. As such, I've got a feeling the hotel may be the one applying the FX rate and not SPG.

They are actually providing a BENEFICIAL FX rate currently compared to the market.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Braindrain
...As such, I've got a feeling the hotel may be the one applying the FX rate and not SPG.

Not sure exactly, but I always thought that Starwood's corporate revenue department told the hotels what to load as far as exchange rates are concerned. It is probably more determined by location/currency rather than how much the room rate is, right? I mean if a hotel in Canada is charging US$200 per night and one in Zimbabwe is charging the same, the exchange rate is certainly going to be different for the US$200...or am I confused, as usual when it comes to numbers.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.