Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

10pm arrival at LHR: should I stay at airport or move into London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Planning a trip with the wife for March. Going to be staying at the Park Lane. We scheduled to arrive at 10pm on a Sat. night. Is it going to be a pain after any delays and customs to hop the tube or Heathrow Express at that time? Or should we just grab one of the Heathrow options for the night and head to the Park Lane in the morning?

We are staying until Friday, so Sun-Thurs. night will be using the 4 nights on points and 5th night free. So any option for the 1st night is fine. I have SPG and MR points.

Thanks for the tips in advance.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Personally, I'd go into town. Then you wake up Saturday morning where you want to be, ready to begin your time in London. Otherwise, you have to get to the hotel near Heathrow, which takes a bit of an effort imo, then go back to Heathrow to get on the Tube or the Express in the morning. You'll easily kill the morning doing that.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
grab the tube, you will be happy 40 min, cheap and you will wake up in the city
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I agree with the other posts. Head straight in to town. You shouldn't have any problems at that time of night. You don't say which terminal you are arriving at, but if you don't like the tube, or have a lot of luggage, my advice would be to get the HEX to Paddington and the jump in a taxi to Park Lane. More expensive, but a lot more comfortable and easier after a long flight.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Agree with all above postings. Do whatever it takes to get where you want to be when you arrive. Then you wake up relaxed and can start your vacation immediately, rather than killing a half day on breakfast, packing, checking out, Hoppa bus, transport into London, check-in at Park Lane, etc., etc., etc.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. That's what we are going to do. Straight to the PL and wake up lazily the next morning. We don't travel heavy, so we are planning on just grabbing the tube if we are close to an on-time arrival. If it gets to be midnight or 1am, then we will go the HEX route just to speed the process.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I also recommend the tube, its decently quick, you dont have to change lines and its a short walk from green park, IIRC?
Old Oct 24, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I've landed at Heathrow many times at that time of night, as I like the day-flights over. (you stay up all day, sleep at night, not so jet lagged the next day). It's usually just not that time consuming at all to go from plane-door to tube-door.

I'd say the Picadilly Line direct from Heathrow is the way to go, maybe 45 minutes tops from LHR to central london at that time. I think the HEX option might actually not save that much time, from getting to Paddington then a taxi over to that area that time of night. Not a bad walk at all from Green Park. A bit longer from Picadilly Circus, but not too bad either.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Completely agree with the above posters. With the change in lines from the express to the tube you'll hardly save any time at all. Enjoy the 40 min ride on the Picadilly. You'll be in your room asleep by 12:30 at the latest.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by pwdump
Planning a trip with the wife for March. Going to be staying at the Park Lane. We scheduled to arrive at 10pm on a Sat. night. Is it going to be a pain after any delays and customs to hop the tube or Heathrow Express at that time? Or should we just grab one of the Heathrow options for the night and head to the Park Lane in the morning?

We are staying until Friday, so Sun-Thurs. night will be using the 4 nights on points and 5th night free. So any option for the 1st night is fine. I have SPG and MR points.

Thanks for the tips in advance.
If you're with the wife, spring a few buck and get a car service. I did this last year. they meet you at baggage claim and wisk you to your hotel.
From Heathrow to Park Lane is around 39 pounds or less.

http://www.exclusiveairports.com/ind...e&SSlNo=153882

Don't mess with the tube at 10 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
While I like to wake up in the hotel I am going to be staying at for my entire trip as much as anyone. I would suggest that you look at some of the cheap Sheraton weekend rates at the airport and compare that to the points you will be using at the Park Lane just to sleep. Also, it may not be important to you but the one night stay is a good way to get a cheap stay credit.

I have two Sunday stays at the Heathrow and has cost me about $85 and I took the bus one way to the hotel (free) and return via taxi 10GBP. I would say that saving the points is worth more than the hotel stay an taxi both ways but that is just me.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 7:32 am

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
That time of night, I'd recommend taking the Tube or springing for a car service. Car service will only be slightly more than 2 tickets on HEX and when you then factor in getting from Paddington to the hotel, you're break-even. Why go through the hassle? That being said, I'd prefer the tube--same amount of time, same amount of hassle. From Hyde Park or Green Park, the hotel's just a short walk. Save the 40-50GBP from the HEX or Car Service options and get yourself a few pints.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Don't forget the time difference

Depending on where you're coming from, it won't be 10pm your time - 5PM EST, 2pm California time. Of course, if you're returning home from India or someplace east, it works against you

I'd certainly take the tube. Definitely get off at Green Park; at that time of night, and for a first time visitor to the Park Lane, the Hyde Park Corner tube stop is a bit confusing. Green Park is a very short - less than 5 minutes - walk from the Park Lane. Have a great time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.