FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Four Points by Sheraton Hotel & Suites Calgary West, AB, Canada [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/872386-four-points-sheraton-hotel-suites-calgary-west-ab-canada-master-thread.html)

kendalh Oct 3, 2008 12:33 am

Four Points by Sheraton Hotel & Suites Calgary West, AB, Canada [Master Thread]

Just spending my last of 5 nights at the Sheraton 4 Points Calgary and thought I would leave a review.

I was very impressed by this hotel. I checked in as a SPG Preferred guest, and recieved an "SPG Preferred Room" on the 3rd floor. It was quite huge. You walk into the door, there is a living room with a couch and a chair, microwave/fridge area and TV. Then you walk past the bathroom/closet into the bedroom where there is a great king bed, a sitting area with 2 chairs and a nice large, well lit desk (A lamp with a shutter - which I much prefer over a lamp where the lightbulb shines in your eyes).

A little tip for when you request a room. I faceed South (facing the Trans Canada Highway), and you can definitely hear the traffic. I am a very heavy sleeper, so it didnt bother me, however, if you are a light sleeper, request a North facing view. One thing I did note, when I was getting a new key on the Wednesday night I saw they had keys laid out for people checking in and there were probably 8 Platinum and 10 Gold keys waiting. I made a comment that it looks like all those Platinum's wont be getting upgrades - and the manager just said - nope, we just dont have that many suites. I just saw the honeymoon and Presidential suite on my floor. - But either way, the SPG rooms are huge and could be considered an upgrade for Plats from the basic room without the living room.

Finished work a little early so today we went out to Banff and Canmore. IT is a very quick drive as it is on the edge of the city. It was 26 degrees today, so we went to Johnson Lake in Banff and actually swam! (It was verrry cold - but how cant you swim on October 1st in the Rockies).

I will definitely stay at this hotel again if my clients are out here. Its nice, and I would rather stay here with a small commute to a client in the west end of Calgary than stay at sheraton eau claire and have to deal with traffic getting out here. My only disappointment was that CTV and CBC both didn't work on either TV. There are some shows I wanted to watch that I couldn't and the hotel was full so they couldn't move rooms. There are some shows I like to catch when travelling, so this kind of sucked. But definitely was a only a small negative- just test your TV before you unpack your bags!

unclepants Oct 3, 2008 4:46 am

Thank you for this review and as a lighter sleeper, I'm especially thankful for your recommendation to request a north-facing room.

I didn't realise the hotel was already open and I have several trips to Calgary planned over the next few months.

Is there a restaurant at the hotel and, if so, did you try it?

kendalh Oct 3, 2008 8:20 am

Originally Posted by unclepants (Post 10464604)
Is there a restaurant at the hotel and, if so, did you try it?

There is both a restaurant and lounge. I didn't eat there, but they both looked quite busy and nice.

slidergirl Oct 3, 2008 5:35 pm

My new fave in the area

With the Four Points in Canmore no more, the FP Calgary West is my new fave (it was my 2nd fave). Now, I've stayed there at least 3 days a year for the past 8 years. It's across the Trans-Can from the Canada Olympic Park, where the bobsled track is. I stay there when I'm at an event at the track. It gets some competition from the Sandman Inn across the street now, but, having stayed there once (the FP was full), I can say that the FP is FAR better. If you ever want to stay there in the winter, be sure to check out the COP website for races - the place is booked up far in advance for those dates.

Singlepoint Oct 4, 2008 12:53 am

Originally Posted by kendalh (Post 10465061)
There is both a restaurant and lounge. I didn't eat there, but they both looked quite busy and nice.

I can only speak to the breakfast offered at the hotel. It is decent and reasonably priced with good service, especially the buffet. If you need something quicker, there's a few fast food outlets within walking distance.

Singlepoint

slidergirl Oct 4, 2008 10:20 am

When I work up at the track, after an event, a group of us would always go down to the FP and sit in the bar. We'd get lunch - it was always good. Usually some decent beer on tap, too. This past year, the "meetings" switched across the street to the bar at the Sandman. I don't know why, other than more of us were showing up and the bar there can handle a bigger group.
Besides the usual chain fast food places, there is a good coffee place, a liquor store, and an Italian takeout place in a strip mall building next door. I'll recommend the coffee place - I hit it every morning for a huge cup of joe and a muffin on my way up to the track. Another little tip if you want to dine, but don't want the fast food: If you go down the hill on the road in front of the Sandman (Bowfort Rd.), it intersects Bowness Rd in about a mile, if that. Turn right, and you find a little business neighborhood with some restaurants.

salanki Oct 8, 2008 10:02 pm

Just spending my last of two nights in this hotel.

Got the same SPG room facing the highway, nothing that disturbs me though.

Friendly staff, the cleaners left a bag with new amenities and towels when I left my DND sign up all day, nice feature, never seen this before (but on the other hand I do not leave the DND sign up that often)

Love the spacious room and the hotel feels fresh and modern. More impressed of this location than the Westin downtown (if you compare bang for the bucks), but then the FP is a 15 minutes cabride from downtown.

Just had some roomservice, decent soup and salad, they forgot the bottle of water I ordered though. Quick 20-30 minutes delivery.

Will definitely stay here again.

slidergirl Nov 10, 2008 11:13 am

another good stay at FP Calgary West 11/5-9

Well, I was up in Calgary again for some races at the Calgary Olympic Park. I made my res. at the FP Calgary West - traditional queen (all that was available online when I made my plans). When I arrived, I was greeted warmly and they let me know that my Gold number was on file. I got one of the SPG Preferred Guest rooms up on the 3rd floor, a queen room. No other upgrade, but I wasn't expecting it, given all the folks staying at the hotel (1 college football team, 2 college basketball teams, various teams for the bobsled and skeleton races, and a college conference). It was it's usually comfy self - mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker, 2 free bottles of water every day, For women, there were 2 hair dryers - the usual wallmount one, and another handheld with more power for those with hair that takes too long to dry with the wallmounts (you know what I mean), WiFi, TV with good variety of stations. I will say that the rooms are starting to look a bit dated and well used. With the traffic they get, I don't doubt it. There was free morning coffee and a basket of apples available all day long. The place really is friendly and makes you feel welcome. I still recommend the hotel, but I hope they have some plans for room refurnishment in the future.

HomerJ Mar 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Wow hate to be the voice of discension but...

...i think its a dump. Currently residing on the third floor facing the valley not the highway...asked to be moved cuz of road noise. Hairs in the shower, and on the duvet, no desk in the room (just a table), no work light, the bathroom at the pool had all kinds of construction material stored in it, and most disturbing the floor shakes when people walk by. My normal haunt the Cavalier was full so I thought i'd give this place a go...first and last time. :td:

lardiop Jul 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Just finished up a stay here.

Had a 'Preferred Guest Room' on one of the lower floors facing the highway. Road noise was minimal and the place was clean. Cant say much more than that.

kingeddy Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Just completed a stay here. Good recognition at check in, amenity offered, and the rooms as noted above (3rd floor, facing Olympic Park and highway) are big.

However this hotel badly needs a facelift. There were posters in the elevators advertising an early 2011 reno, with pictures of more modern looking rooms and meeting areas.

I like the location and would stay again, and look forward to seeing the reno.

Singlepoint Feb 16, 2011 11:02 pm

In the Calgary-area, it's my fourth favourite property (after Eau Claire, Cavalier, Westin) - I haven't stayed at the new, northeast Four Points.

Having said that, *Wood definitely needs something in the Canmore/Banff area. As far as location, I would rather still stay at the Cavalier in NE Calgary and drive across the city toward the mountains rather than stay at the Four Points West. There's nothing particularly wrong with the Four Points West, but it is a Four Points and not nearly as nice as the Cavalier. With kids, the Cavalier's waterslides,hot tubs, kiddie pool, and pool are far better than anything at the Four Points. As well, as a Plat, IMO upgrades are better at the Cavalier and they either have the Club Lounge available or coupons for the Colours restaurant downstairs.

Cheers,

Singlepoint

Antonio8069 Jan 6, 2012 8:31 am

Sheraton Four Points Calgary West review

We stayed at this property in early Jan, after a delightful ski trip to Banff.

The highlight was dinner in Embers Restaurant - good food, attentive service, and great daily specials!

The hotel "upgrade" for PLAT was (to quote the kids) just "meh!" A long narrow room with 2 Queens and a pullout. (Asked for a south facing room and we were told none of these rooms are suites??)

The main elevator was not working. The WIFI worked well, but there was no ethernet cord provided and the two complimentary computers were horribly dated and poorly located (looked like a mini check in area!). The gym was barely adequate.

This property is popular with snowboarders visiting the Olympic Park (across the street). The 1st choice for brekkie was the McDonald's Egg McMuffin conveniently located next door!

rkaradi Jan 26, 2014 12:10 am

I noticed that the last review was from Jan 2012, I don't mean to pimp my Blog, but I've posted quite a few pictures there of a nice hot tub king room I stayed in this week. It was a platinum upgrade too^

Here are the highlights please click the link if interested in the pictures and the full report.

I was intrigued, I’ve had a few spa tub rooms in my day (not by choice). And they are usually interesting, and many times not very classy and downright cheesy.

So upon entering my room after walking past the minibar set up I was greeted by a two person corner tub. And within arms length if your arms were as long as an albatross, was the king bed and to form a nice triangle was the flat screen. It was oddly weird and cool at the same time.

The room was spacious, clean and modern it just sported a tub in the room. The bathroom was not large but it had a rain shower modern sink and glass tile in the shower. Except for the size I would not mind having these fixtures and finishes in my house.

It also has a full restaurant that was actually packed, I was pleasantly surprised at the menu selection too. They also have a spa and gym. Sorry no pictures of this, just the room

http://whereisrahul.wordpress.com/20...-calgary-west/