Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guam Marriott experience?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2005, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Guam Marriott experience?

May be going to the Guam Marriott, only silver so unlikely to be upgraded? What is your impression of the hotel, island?
thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hopefully your post will get some responses. In the mean time, I found this in the archives.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:22 am

We were there roughly a year ago, for a 3-night award stay, also as Silvers. It didn't start off very well. We arrived very early in the am (off of Air Mike's red-eye from CNS), and we were told that they had no rooms available. Peace, so we asked to use the pool facility while we waited. THE LADY AT RECEPTION REFUSED TO LET US USE THE POOL!! We were too stunned and tired to make a scene when we saw her giving room keys to new customers who checked in after us (probably not on an award), but, after waiting about two hours in the lobby, we asked to see the manager, who apologized for the clueless employee we had to deal with, and proceeded to give us a room. Alas, the Marriott Guam has a good side and a bad side (literally). Our room was on the bad side, facing a Japanese resort which had outside music playing very loudly from 10 am until the wee hours. I don't remember if it's the odd-numbers side or vice versa, but it's the side that would face the Hilton, if it were next to it (it's about a 10 min. walk to the Hilton). So we dragged ourselves back to the reception desk and begged for a quiet NS room. They relented and gave us a decent NS room with a whiff of ocean view on the quiet side. From then on, we had no problem, so I assume we must have just got unlucky at check in.

There is a narrow beach in front of the hotel, not much to speak of, but the snorkeling right around there can be interesting even though at low tide it's a bit too shallow. Be careful, though, because the tidal currents are quite strong in the bay.

I found Guam a bit depressing in general. To be fair, I didn't leave Tumon Bay/Tamuning, so my impression is certainly incomplete, but I got an impression of shabby overdevelopment combined with general poverty. It reminded me a bit of the more impoverished areas of Honolulu... I've visited other islands in Micronesia, and I've stayed in places that were on the backpacker side of the spectrum, so I don't need luxury to have a good vacation. But while I'd love to go back to every Pacific island I've visited (more than once), I think I'll skip Guam next time I pass through.

Last edited by honu; Mar 28, 2005 at 6:29 am
Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:23 am

My one stay there I do not remember much about except that I had one of the quiet rooms and it was comfortable.

Dan
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:04 am

Programs: M&M, FB, DL, BA, UA...
Just returned from a 3 night award stay. We were asked to wait about 15 minutes during check-in, but had same problem with rental car at the airport. Must be a Guam thing. We were in a standard room (#605) facing the Pacific Islands Club with the loud music during the daytime. Never had any problems when we got back at night, so decided to keep the room. There was a nice view of Tumon bay if you stood by the window or on the balcony. The room could use a renovation, but same can be said for most of the island. Location is on the south end of the hotel strip a 5 minute drive/20 minute walk away from the main (Japanese shopping) tourist area. The gym and pool were quite large and not too crowded. The tiny arcade room wouldn't keep the kids occupied, but the beaches certainly would. Actually had a good time on Guam driving around the island and finding secluded beaches for snorkeling. Was also nice to have a bit of Americana after being in Tokyo for most of this year. Not worth coming from the States for though. I'd also rank it a 3 star hotel rather than a 4 star resort.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the club lounge open for breakfast and evening snacks (including weekends)? Any place with free wifi at this hotel?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cardesigner2000
I'd also rank it a 3 star hotel rather than a 4 star resort.
Interesting that you should write that... I was wondering why it was only listed as a category 4 hotel online...
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Guam Marriott

I just stayed there 2 weeks ago for 2 weeks. I'll be back again next weekend for another 2. I think this was my sixth stay at this property. I always enjoy the stay but I'm not going for the resort experience. I find the lounge to be comfortable and the view very nice. With a minimum 7 night you do do get free internet and breakfast buffet. I have to work extra hard in the gym to push myself away from the table. With my training schedule I wish the gym hours were earlier as I prefer to work out in the early morning.
The staff is wonderful and I've even taken to calling one of the buffet chefs "auntie" (Filipino thing). The Pacific Island Club is next door and has a wonderful water park. The fence only goes out so far between the 2 hotels, read that however you'd like. Yes this location may not be worth an extra trip from the States but if you have to be on Guam for business anyway I would definitely bring family. It's never worked with my wife and daughter since I always seem to travel there during the school year. Perhaps this June it might.
Scott
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:14 pm

I am thinking about going to Guam in the fall to accompany my dad who is almost 80. We are from Guam though we have been in the States far too many years to count. Is there a concierge lounge? If so, is the lounge open on the weekends? If there is not a CL, are breakfast coupons offered?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by norenewa
I am thinking about going to Guam in the fall to accompany my dad who is almost 80. We are from Guam though we have been in the States far too many years to count. Is there a concierge lounge? If so, is the lounge open on the weekends? If there is not a CL, are breakfast coupons offered?
Check for PM.
Scott
Old Jul 13, 2010, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Mr. Kipper is headed here this week. He's only Silver, so I'm figuring that equals a big zero for him? He will be staying there for 2 weeks, if it matters.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:57 am

Do they charge for the shuttle and internet?

The website says $15 one-way.

Sounds kind of steep.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
The shuttle service is incredibly expensive given you are max 10 min from the airport. In the US, it would be free at that distance. A taxi is cheaper if you are a party of 2 or more. Best to rent a car as you will need it at the Marriott.

This hotel is a dog. We just stayed there last month en route to Palau. It is in dire need of renovation and frankly should be a Ramada, not a Marriott. The local paper had an article about the hotel with the manager admitting it does not meet the Marriott brand standard. Understatement. We faced on the quiet side with a view of a trailer park next door. The beach access is a joke - walk through a chain link gate to a small beach with 4 lounges! The concrete around the pool has been installed by many incompetent workers over the years. Very sharp pebbles in the coping so you need flip flops or you will kill your feet. They were cleaning the pool so long we never got in it. The rooms are grim, old wall paper, baths, etc. Dirty carpet. You are NOT in any sort of action area and would need a rental car. There is nothing much on the street nearby. Marriott should have more pride.

A woman in the Star Alliance Lounge at the airport told us the Hilton was worse. Not so. The staff is ditzy but the hotel, at least in the status tower, was really nice. Renovated room, nice view, great mattress, etc. Price the same as the Marriott.

I would not vacation on Guam other than a single visit to see the war monuments and locations. It is a poor version of Hawaii. For a cheap Asian beach vacation, go to Kuantan in Malaysia and stay at the Hyatt.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I agree with your comments Karen. The Marriott could use a renovation.

Taxis are expensive in Guam for some reason. It can cost $20 from the airport, even though it's so close. I usually rent a car since I'm there on business.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Rumon: Renovation coming early 2011

I just spoke with an employee of Marriott yesterday and was lamenting how dilapitated the hotel was and he told me that in April next year that will begin the remodel, starting with the dreaded pool area, and then going to the hotel itself, starting at the top floor, taking two floors at a time and working down. A welcome update for me at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.