Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tokyo v. Yokohama Bay Sheraton?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Westin Tokyo v. Yokohama Bay Sheraton?

Which would you choose, Westin Tokyo or Yokohama Bay Sheraton for a four-day leisure trip?

I've stayed at the Yokohama for business, never made it into Tokyo proper from there, found the property quite nice and rail access not a problem.

However, as this is a four-day add-on to business in Asia, I'm considering the extra expense for the Westin. I don't expect to use any hotel amenities, will be out-and-about during the days, and would like a few great meals.

Is the Westing worth it? Is the rail into Tokyo from Yokohama problematic?

During my few stays in Tokyo and Yokohama I've always travelled opposite commute (me going out to Yamato on half-empty trains while seemingly the rest of Asia was coming in to Tokyo.) Will a 300-something sweaty American cause a scene?

Seriously, any help, insight or advice is welcome.

TIA
Old Sep 19, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: QR Gold, LH FTL, AB Silver, BA Silver, OK+Blue,PC Plat, SPG Plat, HH DIA, TK Gold (working on black)
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Is the rail into Tokyo from Yokohama problematic?

During my few stays in Tokyo and Yokohama I've always travelled opposite commute (me going out to Yamato on half-empty trains while seemingly the rest of Asia was coming in to Tokyo.) Will a 300-something sweaty American cause a scene?

TIA
Well I rode that train for quite some time, but luckily outbound in the morning and tokiobound in the evenning (working in Kawasaki).

I think you should be fine if you do not travel in rush hour before 9 in the morning. After that the train is ok and runs every few minutes so no problem at all.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I stayed at both properties before, and I say, go with the Westin Tokyo if you can, or you may consider Sheraton Miyako, a cheaper alternative. After a long day in Tokyo, the last thing I would want to do is take the subway back to Yokohoma.

I find Yokohoma Bay Sheraton while very grand in the lobby, the rooms a abit spartan, and the lounge....erm, not much to talk about...

The breakfast at the Westin Tokyo should charge you up for a full day in Tokyo
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:32 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I would stay at the Sheraton Yokohama as the rates are usually about ½ that of the Westin... sometimes even less. The Westin is certainly the nicer hotel, but the Sheraton, while not luxurious, has the basics covered well. Since you have stayed before… you know this already. For your 4 night trip, you would likely be spending another $600 or more to stay at the Westin. If you earn $600 before lunch each day, then I’d stay at the Westin. Otherwise I’d personally go with the Sheraton… solely based on cost.

You might consider some excursions from Yokohama that are very enjoyable that would also take advantage of your position such as Kamakura or Enoshima.

Also note that there are also 2 private railways into Tokyo in addition to JR. There is the Tokyu line to Shibuya, and the keikyu line. Since Tokyo is a large city, you will often find yourself taking the subway or train to get to places, even if your hotel is in Tokyo proper. So, if you are faced with a considerably cheaper stay in Yokohama it can be worth the hassle as the train is ultra frequent, costs less than $5 and takes about 20 minutes to reach the Yamanote line.

Last edited by schriste; Sep 21, 2008 at 9:31 am
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:59 am

To OP

Unless you have to (or want to) be in Yokohama, it does not make sense to take a train to/from Tokyo.

Westin is nice, but Sheraton Miyako is much cheaper (half or less)and it's located in nice (aka posh) neighborhood. They don't have Executive/Club lounge per se, but Platinums get free breakfast (incl Japanese meal if you're interested) and all-you-can-drink service in the lobby lounge from 10am(!) till 8pm.

The hotel has shuttle bus to Meguro and Shinagawa station. Also, there are a bunch of great Italian restaurants in the hood.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Personally, I'd stay in Tokyo. The Miyako has a cheaper price but there's a reason for it. If you can get the Westin on points or C&P, great! Or, if you really don't care about the price difference, that's also good.

In an upcoming trip, neither the Miyako or Westin had C&P. On a points basis, the Westin is definitely worth the extra 2K!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:41 pm
Community Director Emerita

If you chose the Yokohama hotel, be sure to read the master thread on the property. rtwstaralliance and I have posted very detailed transportation information using the hotel as a base for sightseeing There are some great excursions without going into Tokyo that can easily fill 2 of your days.

If I were sightseeing in Tokyo, I would want to be in Tokyo.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Westin Tokyo to rail stations

Originally Posted by FlyMan
To OP

Unless you have to (or want to) be in Yokohama, it does not make sense to take a train to/from Tokyo.

Westin is nice, but Sheraton Miyako is much cheaper (half or less)and it's located in nice (aka posh) neighborhood. They don't have Executive/Club lounge per se, but Platinums get free breakfast (incl Japanese meal if you're interested) and all-you-can-drink service in the lobby lounge from 10am(!) till 8pm.

The hotel has shuttle bus to Meguro and Shinagawa station. Also, there are a bunch of great Italian restaurants in the hood.
I was interested to see that the Sheraton has a shuttle bus to the stations. Does anyone know if the Westin offers this facility as well? If not, what is the best way to pick up the Shinkansen from the Westin if you have luggage? Taxi to Shinagawa? What's that cost?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If you chose the Yokohama hotel, be sure to read the master thread on the property. rtwstaralliance and I have posted very detailed transportation information using the hotel as a base for sightseeing There are some great excursions without going into Tokyo that can easily fill 2 of your days.

If I were sightseeing in Tokyo, I would want to be in Tokyo.
Thanks, everyone, for the help. I found it very valuable.

Having read rtwstaralliance's thread I'm going to split my four nights, two and two, between the Westin Tokyo and the Yokohama Sheraton. While in Yokohama I'll pursue local activities, then have two days of sightseeing in Tokyo.

BTW: Each hotel has cash and points availability, otherwise I would have gone with the Miyako.

Thanks again,

Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.