W Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Will be staying at the W Hong Kong (weekend redemption on the MasterCard Promo) as soon as we return back to HKG from our Chinese New Year Holiday at the end of this mth. Hopefully, the stay will be as good as some of the reviews here; and upgraded to either the Fantastic or Marvellous Suite
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Hot Flyertalk Tip #1

There is free WiFi in the living room as reported, but you pay in your room...unless you leave your laptop turned on as you ride up the elevator to your room. And voila! You still have free WiFi. All the AP's have the same SSID and apparently the gateway doesn't discern the different MAC addresses of the AP's. Anyhow, enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hot Flyertalk Tip #2

Use the concierge to book your dinner!! We booked into my favorite LKF restaurant Wooloomoo. They had the best table in the restaurant held for us, the manager came over with complimentary welcome glasses of Champagne and there was something on my bill that said "Promo -$270".

Now this great treatment could have been due to my dashing good looks, or, more likely, the concierge at the W. I remember when the W LA first opened the concierge there was miraculously good at getting access to the top clubs and special treatment at preferred restaurants. Perhaps the W Hong Kong is in it's honeymoon phase and it's guests are being made very welcome at some of the nicer restaurants in town.

Note there is also a Wooloomoo in the Elements mall that the concierge tried to get me to go to at first. So maybe there is some tie-up with the W due to that.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 7:52 pm
sy7

I wanted to add a review of my W HKG stay. I had a single reward night reserved, and was upgraded to a Marvelous suite exactly like the one in kluau88’s pictures, and it truly is a fabulous suite. Looking at the floor map, it isn’t that much bigger than the fantastic suite, but due to its location, has better views. The panoramic views of the Hong Kong harbour was great. No, you don’t get an unimpeded view of the central downtown area (the ICC blocks that), but you do see the shipyard and it was fun and interesting to watch all the activity. Maybe a first-time visitor to HKG would prefer a more central view, but I enjoyed this view as much as the one I had from the Grand Hyatt.

Also, I checked in ~2pm, and as the agent was processing my check-in, I told her I would be willing to wait for a better room. That turned out to be a good thing, since otherwise she would have assigned me a room that was currently available (the suite was still occupied from the previous Platinum guest). So, if you arrive before 4pm and want a possible suite upgrade, be sure to ask about waiting for the room!

The spa area for the hotel was fabulous, and I would highly recommend checking it out if you have the time. The vitality pool (eg jacuzzi) had 3 full body loungers. In addition to the hot-water jets, it also had separate mini-jets that squirted cool water at the same time. It compared favorably to various hydro-therapy spa setups. The shower facility was also great. Besides the 2 regular rainforest shower setups (like the ones in the rooms), there was a special shower facility. It had a huge overhead showerhead with 3 settings, massage, waterfall, and rainforest. Plus, there were 9 nozzles located along the side that also had various settings (and a different temperature control). The 76th floor pool and outdoor hot tub are I think only for hotel guests and resident club members (eg not included for people using Bliss spa). The pool is heated but the water was still quite cold. Very little chlorine in the water, which is nice. The hot tub did have a lot of chlorine, but that is necessary for safety reasons since it is outdoors. There was a layer of hazy smog the whole time, and I could swear that I could smell the ozone outdoors (at 9am) so I didn’t stay out for too long.

Bliss spa is currently running several specials, eg 10% discount on M-F services, and 20% discount if you book at least two 1 hr treatments. The prices are on the expensive side (the same price as any Bliss spa worldwide, plus an additional 10% service charge), but it is a reasonably nice facility. FYI, you do NOT get SPG points for the services, even though Starwood owns Bliss spas.

Finally, while there are some signs in the Elements mall that points you to the W HKG, they are really inconsistent and overall not very helpful. I probably circled around 5-10 extra minutes b/c I tried to use the W Hotel signs to navigate. Instead of looking for "W Hotel", look for signs for the South Entrance dropoff. The W hotel entrance is located right next to that.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Just returned from visiting this property.

I was not impressed at all. And you know how much I usually rave about Ws.

Since kluau has already done a great thorough review, I will skip it but I would like to mention the following:

1. Yes, I was staying with the "error rate" of USD$139 per night. I learned that they had preblocked me to a fantastic suite. Great. When checking in, the agent was clueless and told me they had me in a fabulous room.

But before that, he looked at my reservation for a long time on his screen. After his thorough investigation, he looked up and sarcastically said "you are on a very special rate" Yes, it was a rate of $139. Low? Not to the point where you are making a customer, let alone a loyal Platinum member who throws SPG a big chunk of $ every year, extremely uncomfortable.

When inquired about my preblocked suite, he said "Oh right, but it's not yet ready, you would have to wait." Right, thanks for the warning and your indifferent attitude. I decided to wait for it even though it was well after 4PM. When inquired about other suites, was told none available. BS. When I checked the website, there were plenty of fantastic and marvelous suites available. STRIKE ONE.

2. Offered no Platinum amenity. When inquired, agent told me the amenity was the welcome tray of candies as pictured by kluau. Nice try. I asked for the real Platinum amenity, 500 points.

3. When my room was finally ready, the bathroom stunk like SH**. It was disgusting. I was so tired and jetlagged, I didn't bother asking for a new suite.

4. Next day, I could no longer stand the smell and asked for a new suite. Housekeeping did a good job when cleaning and the smell was more bearable. Not wanting to move, I asked to stay for another night. WRONG DECISION. The smell came back. I couldn't stand it, so I asked to be moved to a different suite.

My new suite was much better. No complaints there. I enjoyed the amenities in the room. I do have to say, roomwise, it was a fantastic room.

Unfortunately, I found the service to be subpar. Asian hotel service tend to be exceptional. W Hong Kong wasn't anywhere near it. There were a couple of great agents I spoke to, including one of the concierge staff. However, there were also quite a few agents there who need to be seriously retrained, including the one who checked me in.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jan 21, 2009 at 6:45 pm
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Unfortunately, I found the service to be subpar. Asian hotel service tend to be exceptional. W Hong Kong wasn't anywhere near it....also quite a few agents there who need to be seriously retrained, including the one who checked me in.
EXACTLY my feeling when I stayed there during Xmas. And, trying to wiggle their way out of giving me a suite, even though it was indeed available for booking.

By the way, I'm staying there this weekend again, and also one more time next week. I want to avoid the smelly suite. You mind telling me which room number it was?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 6:28 pm

Hi all. This is my first post ever in FlyerTalk having been "lurking" around the forum for a while and finding your inputs to be ever so enlightening.

I finally made it to SPG Platinum this year and the W Hong Kong was the first property I stayed in 2009 with the new status. I was due to check in on the 16 Jan for 2 days and got a lovely email from W Hong Kong a couple of days before asking if I have any special requests and if I am celebrating any special occasions? I replied requesting for a suite upgrade (of course) and told them that I would be celebrating my birthday.

The friendly email kind of raised my hopes and I expected some sort of "surprise". I was terribly disappointed when all I got eventually was an upgrade to a Fabulous Room. The check-in staff claimed that all suites were occupied. Following the recommendations on FlyerTalk, I went to the Internet and found one Marvellous Suite to be available for booking. I checked with the check-in counter again and they claimed it's probably a technical problem. The suites are FULLY BOOKED.

My room was nice and new but other than that, I wasn't impressed. Some properties bothered to add some thoughtful touches e.g. small box of chocolates, a plate of fruits, a welcome note from the manager and so on. Things that do not cost much, but makes the guest feels special. In the case of W Hong Kong, I didn't get anything which makes me wonder why the so-call Welcome Team bothered to email me in the first place.

My room too had a smell. It's not totally awful, more like aroma therapy gone wrong or so exotic that I didn't know how to appreciate it.

Oh the only recognition that I got as a Platinum was the amenity of 500 points which was offered to me without asking. However I am still waiting for it to be posted in my account....
Old Jan 21, 2009, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Unfortunately, I found the service to be subpar. Asian hotel service tend to be exceptional. W Hong Kong wasn't anywhere near it. There were a couple of great agents I spoke to, including one of the concierge staff. However, there were also quite a few agents there who need to be seriously retrained, including the one who checked me in.
We all know that you can get different agents on different days or times that are better than others. Did you try to escalate? My recent experience was completely different than yours. The guy who checked me in was one of the most professional that I have ever seen at a W. And there was a lady manager who was always floating around and checking up on me. I thought the front desk service was stellar. Maybe I was just lucky to get the right agents, but I certainly would have escalated if I had your issues.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:16 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by juniac
...Following the recommendations on FlyerTalk, I went to the Internet and found one Marvellous Suite to be available for booking. I checked with the check-in counter again and they claimed it's probably a technical problem. The suites are FULLY BOOKED...
Technical problem notwithstanding, the Marvelous Suites at this property are not considered to be standard suites made available for Platinum complimentary upgrades.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Am staying at the W for one night next month while on a HKG stopover. E-mailed the hotel to ask for a crib, as well as for thoughts on the best way to get from HKIA to the hotel (AEX, Cab, car, etc) with an infant.

Within hours (middle of the night HKG time) I got a very detailed response, complete with attached maps of how to get from the AEX station to the hotel, etc...as well as info on car (Audi Q7) transfer from HKIA. Really good first impression, at the very least.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by socalterp
Within hours (middle of the night HKG time) I got a very detailed response, complete with attached maps of how to get from the AEX station to the hotel, etc...as well as info on car (Audi Q7) transfer from HKIA. Really good first impression, at the very least.
Would you mind sharing the details on the car transfer from the airport? We'll likely go by rail, but I'm curious what the cost is. Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Would you mind sharing the details on the car transfer from the airport? We'll likely go by rail, but I'm curious what the cost is. Thanks.
Quoting HKD$ 825, which I think is a one-way fare. Compared to $90 for the AEX and maybe $250 or so for a taxi.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Technical problem notwithstanding, the Marvelous Suites at this property are not considered to be standard suites made available for Platinum complimentary upgrades.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Sure, I would fully agree that the hotel is not obligated to provide suite upgrades to Platinum guests over and beyond what is considered a Standard Suite. At the W Hong Kong, I guess the "standard" is the Fantastic Suite.

However, when there have already been a few reported incidents here (myself included) of the hotel trying to back their way out of not upgrading to a suite when one is available, then that is just not right.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
However, when there have already been a few reported incidents here (myself included) of the hotel trying to back their way out of not upgrading to a suite when one is available, then that is just not right.
Well you also have my report of getting a Fantastic Suite on a points stay. And I didn't email or ask for any special treatment in advance. I just showed up and my suite was waiting for me. So you can't say that this hotel is actively preventing Plat's from getting suites.

These suites are pretty high tech and I could see that a lot of small details could go wrong or become broken. Yet everything worked perfectly in my room. Perhaps it is true that they are struggling a bit with the high tech features and don't want to release the room unless everything is working perfectly?
Old Jan 22, 2009, 10:39 pm

Absolutely Marvelous

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Quite correct but some of us have bagged one
However this Hotel, like the St Regis Singapore, can give upgradesbeyond the terms of the SPG program.Some Platinum guests may leave disappointed and others will leave totally delighted.Thats the nature of this program in that it cannot satisfy all Platinum guests all of the time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.