Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin New York at Times Square, NY, 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 2:17 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Just back from a holiday weekend stay. Had booked a "Superior Corner room" which is a high floor corner -- much bigger than standard rooms. Got to the property just before 11AM on Saturday and the room set aside for us was not ready. We could wait or we could take an Atrium room, which is what we did that last couple times we stayed, as those rooms are pretty big and have iMacs in them with decent internet connectivity, which we like.

Turns out they got rid of the iMacs, but the rooms still include internet access, so we took the points instead.

If you like to use your iPad or similar in your room don't take a room ending in 09, as the wifi signal doesn't reach more than a foot or two inside the room. Property offered to move us when we called about this problem, but we didn't want to repack, so they gave us 2000 points without us having to ask, which we were fine with.

They have also changed garages for validation -- used to be on 44th, just across 8th (for $27), for that same $27 the garage is now just across 7th, but on 38th, which is a nice schlep in the rain/drizzle. My guess is not making guests take them up on this offer, as when we went to pick up the car, the garage was not pleased that the desk at the hotel had stuck the validation sticker over some important info on the ticket. No problem fixing it, and they got our car out as fast as I can ever remember a NYC garage retrieving a car, but will be interesting to see if this relationship lasts.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:43 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I stayed here recently with my two sons, 12 and 15.

Generally, getting to and from the property was easy by car.

While dropping off the bags, the bellboy suggested that instead of parking that the approved lot which is a schlep, I might want to just stay at the lot next to the nearby gentleman's club which would be $30/day and was right next door. With some trepidation I did so. The price was $35/day, but still convenient and the car was there when I went to pick it up.

Booked a room with 2 queens. Tried to use SNA to no avail. The rooms was fine and spacious enough for the three of us and all of our luggage. Not a fan of showers that are in bath tubs but they had a curved curtain rod which made it not so bad.

Wasn't made aware of any Plat benefits, and didn't inquire. They dropped off a bottle of wine, a bowl of cocktail nuts, another bowl with fresh blueberries and a single vitamin drink. They might have dropped off two bottles considering I was there with two kids. They hadn't asked me, but my Ambassador knew so likely it was in my profile.

Location was great. We walked and used the trains for everything. It just dawned on me that I don't think we used a taxi at all and we did quite a lot in our two days in town. (Chicago, TOTR, 9/11 Memorial, Discovery Lego Exhibit, Fuerza Bruta, Staten Island Ferry)

I'd return to the Westin Times Square again without a doubt.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:09 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
We were at the property the past two nights. Hoped to check in upon arrival around noon, but that rarely works, when we got back after our matinee, our corner room on the 40th floor was ready (we had booked a high corner, but the floor was an upgrade). Usual 1 bottle of water, it was replaced when housekeeping came on Saturday.

We did park at the official lot on 40th, which is a shlep, but it's better than the lot they were using earlier this year, which was across B'way and on 38th or 39th. I miss the old lot on 44th, but I think the Intercontinental took it over.

Did get to ride in the elevator with the manager of the Orioles and one of his players, and got to hear them discuss how a player who had been DFA'd reacted, which was a bit different.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
How successful has everyone been on redeeming Free Suite Nights? I have 5 left which were rejected on my other trip to Cali. Already put my request in, so crossing my fingers (what a waste if they dont get filled).
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by DRUNKinDFW
I just completed a stay at this property, and elected to take advantage of the Platinum breakfast amenity. The text of the certificate provided at check-in concerned me, as it referenced 'coffee and toast' at Shula's. However, upon arrival at Shula's the menu actually contains a "Platinum Breakfast Amenity" line item, and the breakfast itself appears to be very similar, if not identical to, what I would have expected with a traditional continental breakfast - we were offered coffee or juice, along with a basket of pastries and a bowl of granola with Greek yogurt, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries. In addition, while I don't know whether it is standard or not, a separate cup of fresh fruit was brought out, and we were offered toast as well, if we desired.

I have no idea whether the 'value' of the Platinum breakfast amenity could be applied towards other menu items, but, all-in-all, I was pleasantly surprised and would choose the breakfast amenity again on multiple-night stays when I am not traveling on business.
Can anyone confirm that the Platinum continental breakfast benefit is still similar to that described above?

I also considered the W New York Times Square but am leaning toward this property for the breakfast, more convenient parking options and 5000 fewer points per night redemption. Thank you!
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
Just stayed there Monday night and can confirm the Plat Breakfast with juice, coffee, parfait, and pastry basket still exists. It's an OK breakfast that goes for ~ $21 if I recall. Most of the guests (lots of tourists) had some sort of voucher.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Stayed Here Weekend before New Years 2013

Just checked out. I had 3 rooms on points for 2 nights each on a Leisure trip.

Overall a good stay and would repeat.

Upgrade: Did not get Suite Night Awards. They were booked but did get upgraded to deluxe grand room which was much bigger than their basic room.

Breakfast: All 6 of us got to exchange the platinum amenity for anything off the menu which was basically like $28 per person per day.

Valet: Steep at $60 per night. But its a known cost of driving to NYC.

Room: Overall very nice, bathroom was with a marble floor tiles and shower was clean and without rust or anything weird. Towels were a bit old but still fine. The bedding was great as is usual Westin fashion.

Location: Great location if you are visiting for a touristy trip to see time square and the Xmas tree at rockefeller center. Sometimes cabbing it can be annoying because of the christmas holiday traffic but staying anywhere in a happening area of manhattan this time of year would be the same.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 6:22 pm

Plenty of $35 parking within a couple of blocks if you get an easily obtained coupon online.

Our stays at this property seem to be over, as the reasonable rates we've been paying for holiday weekend corner rooms seem to have disappeared for the 2nd half of 2013 and all of 2014.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Just had a great 2 night stay at the Westin Times Square this weekend with the wife and kid. We were initially planning to stay at the W Union Square (our preferred part of town), but were swayed by an incredibly tempting last minute price drop at the Westin so we figured we’d give it a try. I booked it the morning before our arrival and applied a couple of SNAs for a jr. suite, which cleared shortly after 2pm hotel time that same day. We flew into Newark and took the $16 Coach USA bus to the Port Authority bus terminal, which was practically door to door service. We entered on the 42nd St. side of the property, but the door to the lobby was locked. There was a sign stating it would be locked at 11pm (with room key access), but it was only 9:30 pm so I called service express from the house phone and was told we needed to walk around to the main entrance on 43rd. A bit frustrating as had luggage and toddler in tow and could see the check in desk on through the glass doors.

Check in was smooth and efficient. The agent noted my crib request and said he wasn’t positive if it was in the room yet, but to call service express right away if it hadn’t made it there yet (it took two calls and a couple of hours to get the crib). He ended by saying, “you’re really going to like your room.” My wife’s comment as we entered was, “this looks like more than a jr. suite.” It was huge, especially by NYC standards. There was a large entry with closets, a massive corner living room with sofa, coffee table, dining area, lots of bookshelves, and coffee table books, vases, and decorative accessories everywhere. The bedroom was cozy with enough room for a King bed and a small sofa under the window. The bathroom was massive with side by side vanities, an infinity style soaker tub under the windows, and separate shower. There was a toilet closet and third vanity that could be closed off from the rest of the bath for entertaining purposes.

When I checked the SPG app, it stated we were in the Presidential Suite, but after looking online, I think we were in the Renewal Suite. It was quite nice and felt like we hit the jackpot for NYC, but there were a few maintenance issues and it could use some TLC:
o Several lights did not work. There is an impressive wall of 66 candle lights on shelves in the living room. I’d estimate 2/3 were not working. My night light didn’t work either. Same goes for the lights in the bathtub.
o The entry floor (wood laminate) was coming up in several areas and had quarter inch gaps in many spots. They had obviously tried a quick fix of hammering a bunch of nails into the edges of the boards, but it didn’t work (and looked pretty bad). There was also a pretty severe slope from the entry into the living room.
o There is a steam shower with digital controls. The control panel was broken and did not work so no steam.
o One of the vanity faucets had very low water pressure.
o The bathroom was equipped with radiant floor heating, but it was spotty.
o Several TV channels did not come in and those that did were low-def and often fuzzy.

All that said, it was still a great room with a ton of space and lovely views of the Hudson and the city to the north. Staff were all very friendly and I had no problem getting 2pm check out when I requested it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I will go to NY for 3 days a couple of weeks later. I can choose either this hotel, or the IC at times Square. IC would be more convient since the meeting will be in that hotel, but I think those two hotels are very close.

I heard IC is very new and nice but I don't have status in IC but am platinum in SPG.

Can anyone suggest which hotel is better?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jjj0002
I will go to NY for 3 days a couple of weeks later. I can choose either this hotel, or the IC at times Square. IC would be more convient since the meeting will be in that hotel, but I think those two hotels are very close.

I heard IC is very new and nice but I don't have status in IC but am platinum in SPG.

Can anyone suggest which hotel is better?
Well, if nothing else and you believe you will get benefits worth the price, you can always buy Ambassador status at IC which also gives you automatic Gold status in IHG Rewards Club...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
Well, if nothing else and you believe you will get benefits worth the price, you can always buy Ambassador status at IC which also gives you automatic Gold status in IHG Rewards Club...
No I have no interest in persueing the elite status at IC. I just want to know if the IC hotel is better than the westin hotel at times square.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I just made a booking a few days ago for 1 night, 31st-1st end of this month. Booked a traditional room and i just looked today to see that i have been pre-upgraded to a 'premium deluxe room', however on their website theres no room with that exact name, can i assume they mean the 'Grand Deluxe Room"? Is there just some odd naming in the website?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I believe those rooms used to be the Atrium Club rooms. We stayed in one a couple of years ago - loved it with a few caveats. Very spacious for NY, big bathroom with lots of counter space, cool window seat. However, that window at the window seat could open (although we were afraid of plummeting to the ground below ) and as such we felt the room was very noisy with street noise and sirens (did not seem to be an airtight, noise reducing seal).

I'd stay there again if they hadn't raised it from 12,000 to 20,000 pts.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:54 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I just made a booking a few days ago for 1 night, 31st-1st end of this month. Booked a traditional room and i just looked today to see that i have been pre-upgraded to a 'premium deluxe room', however on their website theres no room with that exact name, can i assume they mean the 'Grand Deluxe Room"? Is there just some odd naming in the website?
Not sure what you are looking at but their website does have rooms with the name Premium Deluxe Room:

Premium Deluxe Rooms

Soaring above Times Square, Premium Deluxe Rooms are perched on floors 35 through 45. Oversized windows let in daylight that illuminates the warm earth tones and soothing dark palette of the carpet, blue accent chair, and wood headboard.

Relax above the fray in the living area thanks to intuitive amenities, including a 32-inch LCD flat screen TV, an iPod® docking station/alarm clock, and a Westin WakeCup® Coffee Brewer with Starbucks® coffee. Easily accessible from the black wooden desk and throughout the room, High Speed Internet Access is complimentary.

When it comes time to turn in, climb into a signature Westin Heavenly® Bed—either one king-size or two doubles—layered with crisp cotton sheets, cozy down duvets, and plush pillows. Or unwind with the high-pressure dual showerhead and soothing White Tea by Westin™ products in the sleek bathroom. Black slate lines the floors and shower and contrasts with the industrial stainless-steel vanity.

•310-350 Square Feet / 29-33 Square Meters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.