Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Quarter 4 Promotion coming September 16, 2008

Quarter 4 Promotion coming September 16, 2008

Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:53 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by BVsmurfette
Didn't Starwood say that they would do another conference call announcement/discussion for FTers for this promo (similar to what they did for SPG Flights a few weeks back)? Did i miss the post about this? Anyone hear anything yet?
Here you go: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=4179

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
Except they don't give us numbers and we don't know exactly when the box office opens...
Well, let's just say that the clock is not as wrong as some people think it is.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Well, let's just say that the clock is not as wrong as some people think it is. ....
Thanks for the hint. I know what I will be doing at 1900 US EDT today.

BTW, could you pass on the IT team that the timing that they used for the countdown is not reliable. The setInterval function they used in updating the timer has know problems as it's timing varies slightly with different browsers and drifts.
Code:
function startTimer(){
		setInterval(function(){
			updateTimer('timer', 'days');
			seconds -= 1;
		}, 1000);
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, OnePass Gold
Here you go: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=4179

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
thank you!!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:30 pm

...BTW, could you pass on the IT team that the timing that they used for the countdown is not reliable. The setInterval function they used in updating the timer has know problems as it's timing varies slightly with different browsers and drifts.
Code:
function startTimer(){
		setInterval(function(){
			updateTimer('timer', 'days');
			seconds -= 1;
		}, 1000);
Maybe on another occasion. There is simply not enough time left to make a significant difference in this instance.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:45 pm
In memoriam

Maybe on another occasion. ...
That is kind of what I meant, let them know that this way is not quite right so next time it can be improved.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 2:05 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
BTW, could you pass on the IT team that the timing that they used for the countdown is not reliable. The setInterval function they used in updating the timer has know problems as it's timing varies slightly with different browsers and drifts.
They're counting down to registration for a promotion, not launching the Space Shuttle, is it really that big of a deal?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 2:08 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Beckles
They're counting down to registration for a promotion, not launching the Space Shuttle, is it really that big of a deal?
With two weeks to decide which choice to take I have a feeling lots of people are going to make an uneducated choice. Me? I'll be asleep when the click ticks 0.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 2:54 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Beckles
To me it is. I use calipers to measure sewer pipe and think lipstick make pigs look beautiful.

/rant ON

Seriously, lots of time code code is copied from a page that someone thinks is working well and then is reused for something else where the timing may be more critical (not necessarily a space shuttle). What if this same code was used to start the beginning of some limited time opportunity. Some users may miss it by relying on the timer. There were also timer problems in the LHW thread in the Hotel deals forum. The LHW is very time critical as the opportunity will probably exist only for minutes.

Programmers should understand how their code works and under which conditions it might not. In the case of the YouChoose promo timer the designer did not take into consideration the overhead involved in processing web pages and the way non-preemptive operating systems (e.g. WinDoz) work.

I hope by pointing this out to the Starwood IT team future problems can be avoided.

/rant OFF
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
So am I to assume the promo launches is less than 90 minutes? I've been sucked into this one...can't wait to see what all the hub bub is about!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by bsdstone
So am I to assume the promo launches is less than 90 minutes? I've been sucked into this one...can't wait to see what all the hub bub is about!
All I can say is it better be good. If its anything like SPG flights it will get a big
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
[QUOTE=gfowler-ord-1k;10373103]To me it is. I use calipers to measure sewer pipe and think lipstick make pigs look beautiful.

OK, I get the lipstick on the pig reference, but can you enlighten me on the sewer pipe one? I work for piping company and if there is a joke there, I need to know about it! :-)
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:46 pm

OK, I get the lipstick on the pig reference, but can you enlighten me on the sewer pipe one? I work for piping company and if there is a joke there, I need to know about it! :-)
I don't work for a piping company, but I'm pretty sure pipe comes in standard sizes. Thus, any measuring device that comes within the accuracy of those standard sizes would be acceptable for determining the difference between 2 inch and 3 inch standard pipe. (Or whatever the standards are, I drill oil wells not sewage lines.)

Anyway, calipers would be significanly more accurate than needed for the task. The joke was that only us obsessive compulsive types would bother using calipers to obtain the extra accuracy.

If I have followed it correctly...

Michael
Old Sep 15, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Looks like it is up...
www.spg.com/choose
Old Sep 15, 2008, 4:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Who do I complain to about the website going live earlier than promised?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.