Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Upgrade criteria - Question for Starwood lurker(s)

Old Aug 11, 08, 10:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As part of the discussion on the Hilton board relative to the vagaries of the two programs a member (bocasetphen) posted that the citeria SPG properties use to ungrade elites include the following and I quote.

"It was Lurker himself who pointed out that each hotel receives a daily list of arriving Elites with appropriate upgrade prioritization, taking into account points balance, spend and how the status was earned (spend or promo) within each tier."

Since I do remember William posting some of the criteria here but I dont ever recall the red bolded part.

Can the Lurker please comment on such and whether I am mistaken or not?

mike
Old Aug 11, 08, 1:58 pm

While, as the lurkers have said each day the property recieves a list of the Gold and Platinum's arriving. The order is made up of 21 categories with room rate being the last! However all 21 are confidental but I would assume # of Starwood points in your account, etc.... However upgrades are based on availability at the time of check in so it's up to the property to decide whether they abide by the list or not.
Old Aug 11, 08, 2:42 pm
Suspended

i aggressively use my points since they are refundable. i book cash and points awards and regular awards way out in the future. many/most of those reservations end up getting cancelled. so, from the discussion here, i guessing using points gets one a lower place on the upgrade totem pole?

i'm not sure why point balance would matter. point balance just shows that you are a good hoarder of points...not necessarily a good earner of points.
Old Aug 11, 08, 3:09 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks View Post
i aggressively use my points since they are refundable. i book cash and points awards and regular awards way out in the future. many/most of those reservations end up getting cancelled. so, from the discussion here, i guessing using points gets one a lower place on the upgrade totem pole?

i'm not sure why point balance would matter. point balance just shows that you are a good hoarder of points...not necessarily a good earner of points.
I believe what matters is the total points that you have accumulated since enrollment.
Old Aug 11, 08, 3:11 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Here's my $00.02

Exactly right. I remember this very topic coming up a few years ago and I was just as confused then as I am today as to why total number of SPG points in one's balance would matter whatsoever.

All that said, I doubt we'll ever know what the 21 components are (if there are, indeed, 21). Off the cuff, I'd toss out the following as what I'd hope are the most weighted components:

1. Total revenue $$$s last 12 months rolling

2. Total number of nights YTD or last 12 months rolling

3. Total lifetime SPG points earned / revenue spent

Some might strongly disagree with me, but I think these three components do a solid job of calling out those who are both heavily loyal to SPG and those who are most valuable to SPG. Isn't SPG's ideal consumer one who both spends a tremendous amount of $$$ with them and also returns often? (Isn't that the ideal customer for any business?)

Travelling with my brother over the past recent years has been eye-opening for me. He's surely in the top 0.0005% of top elites with the SPG program. His job, for the past 15 years, has been a global one. He's overnighting about 300 nights a year and always at high end locations. He was essentially living at the W Union Square for more than half of 2007 -- that 'aint cheap! Whenever he and I meet up, and if we're at a *wood hotel, he always gets a massive suite, with the GM's obligatory letter, chocolates, etc. And, as a SPG Plat myself, I get a club room next to the ice machine!

Frankly, I think that's just as it should be. If he gives $100K to Starwood a year, the system should absolutely recognize that if any customer is going to be upgraded when one suite is available, it is precisely this sort of consumer.

I'd be interested to hear other's top three priorities. (Perhaps I should've started a new thread?!?)
Old Aug 11, 08, 3:39 pm
Suspended

from reading this forum, it seems like an (unseemly) criteria for an upgrade is if one can finagle an email address of someone at the property and grovel for an upgrade.
Old Aug 11, 08, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jimmychang View Post
I believe what matters is the total points that you have accumulated since enrollment.
possibly...but, WScottsdaleInsider says that it is: "# of Starwood points in your account"...not lifetime balance.
Old Aug 11, 08, 3:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Maybe ....

Lots of starwood points in your account means you haven't only spent a ton on Starwood hotels, but Starwood hasn't had to spent a ton on you in the form of free stays.

Sounds ridiculous ... but that's just a guess.
Old Aug 11, 08, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
possibly...but, WScottsdaleInsider says that it is: "# of Starwood points in your account"...not lifetime balance.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...p?t=594331&#11

This subject has been discussed several times. Since Starwood is not to release the proprietary information, I don't see a point to keep the speculation continuing.
Old Aug 11, 08, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by jimmychang View Post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...p?t=594331&#11

This subject has been discussed several times. Since Starwood is not to release the proprietary information, I don't see a point to keep the speculation continuing.
There is a different, yet related thread where our Lurker commented on how both SPG and properties were able to determine that a Plat was a full "25/50" Plat or received the status through a free offer/co-brand opportunity.

That is the gist of what I remember from that thread and is the key to the OP's inquiry. I cited this distinction as part of my defense of SPG's handling of tier 'dilution' vs. Hhonors' approach, which is to gut the benefits of the diluted tier.
Old Aug 11, 08, 9:12 pm
Suspended

If that is the criteria, i think it would disadvantage members who choose direct airline deposit.
Old Aug 12, 08, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
There may a list and a 21 gun...ah point system of deciding who gets what, but I still think it all comes down to the property, the manager and the clerk.

If the front desk clerk decides to take your upgrade and give to someone else, the you will never even know about it.

I still the think the most important criteria is repeat business to the same property.
Old Aug 12, 08, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
There is a different, yet related thread where our Lurker commented on how both SPG and properties were able to determine that a Plat was a full "25/50" Plat or received the status through a free offer/co-brand opportunity.

That is the gist of what I remember from that thread and is the key to the OP's inquiry. I cited this distinction as part of my defense of SPG's handling of tier 'dilution' vs. Hhonors' approach, which is to gut the benefits of the diluted tier.

Are you saying that based on how you made or earned status, two elites of the same level can be treated differently?
Old Aug 12, 08, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite View Post

Are you saying that based on how you made or earned status, two elites of the same level can be treated differently?
Not at all - I don't think that was ever suggested by our Lurker. I think the point he was making (I'd really like to find that old post) was when it comes to breaking an upgrade tie and/or giving out promo offers and other goodies, how you earned the status is taken into account.
Old Aug 12, 08, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Not at all - I don't think that was ever suggested by our Lurker. I think the point he was making (I'd really like to find that old post) was when it comes to breaking an upgrade tie and/or giving out promo offers and other goodies, how you earned the status is taken into account.

I wonder if that is point is a internal miscommunication, like this:
Stays vs. Nights and another tier question

Search this Thread
Search Engine: