Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:29 am

Is the facility fee waived for plats?

Last edited by darcyt; Feb 29, 2016 at 11:06 am
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:00 am

Programs: DL PT, Bonvoy PT
My company's beancounters start complaining if you pay over about $400/night in SF. That wasn't a whole lot of headroom to begin with sometimes, and the facility fee shrinks it to the point of nonexistence. Looks like it's going to be the Sheraton in Fisherman's Wharf (and the tourist-infested F line) from now on if I want to stay in a Starwood hotel...

I've got a stay in the Park Central next week, but wasn't assessed the facility fee at booking so we'll see. Surely they won't surprise me with it, right?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eleventy
My company's beancounters start complaining if you pay over about $400/night in SF. That wasn't a whole lot of headroom to begin with sometimes, and the facility fee shrinks it to the point of nonexistence. Looks like it's going to be the Sheraton in Fisherman's Wharf (and the tourist-infested F line) from now on if I want to stay in a Starwood hotel...

I've got a stay in the Park Central next week, but wasn't assessed the facility fee at booking so we'll see. Surely they won't surprise me with it, right?
There might be corporate rate contracts that specify no "resort" fees.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There might be corporate rate contracts that specify no "resort" fees.
Looks like it's still there, on my company's rate at least. It's kind of sneaky though. If I book under the normal prepaid rate, it shows up under "Base room rate excludes:," but under the corporate rate, I have to click on the "Show exclusions" link to show it. When I hit the reserve button, it's only included on the non-corporate rate. I'll report back on Sunday

The funny thing is that I would have probably accepted it if they'd done this honestly and just raised the room rate, or at least been able to make a case to work about "rising hotel costs" or something. Things are expensive in SF and are only getting worse.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I've spent a few weeks at the Park Central this year and I'm starting to really like it. Assuming rates remain reasonable, this is where I'll stay in SF from now on.

One week, I brought my wife and young kids and booked a suite. It was perfect for what we needed. We asked for a fridge and a microwave, which was quickly delivered to the room. Another week, I was by myself and got one of the renovated (Premium?) rooms on a high floor and it was awesome. Felt like a different property. The room had a nice and modern feel to it.

Random comments:
  • The hotel has removed the minibars, which doesn't bother me at all, since I prefer getting a draft beer from the bar and bring it to the room.
  • I really like the (free for platinum) breakfast. They keep improving it. Last time, they had a Nespresso machine. This time, they had a freshly squeezed orange juice machine.
  • The taxi rank outside and the proximity to MUNI makes it easy to get around.
  • The property treats returning business guests nicely. I'm getting to know the staff and some of them now recognise me from earlier stays.
  • The valet parking is something like $60 a day. When I have a car, I park it in the Moscone Center car park down the street, which charges per hour. I usually pay $13 overnight, or about $30 per 24 hours.

Regarding the resort fee, I just include it when I compare the pricing of the various hotels in SF. So far this year, the Park has been cheaper than other SPG properties, except for Fisherman's Wharf of course. It was significantly cheaper ($250 vs. $450) when booking a suite for a week.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is it the Heavenly bed and bedding here?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
Is it the Heavenly bed and bedding here?
It used to be a Westin, so the beds must be Heavenly beds. I haven't noticed any major changes after the rebranding.

The top floor premium rooms are newly renovated and may have newer beds, I'm not sure.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:15 am

Sure enough, no facility fee on my bill. Thanks, negotiated rate.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:03 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I may have missed this, but is this hotel going to remain part of SPG as an unbranded property or is it going under another umbrella? The owners could throw a touch of work into the property and turn it into a Tribute - would be nice to see it under a specific SPG brand rather than floating around the system.

khabah
Old Apr 9, 2016, 4:39 pm

Used to stay here a lot as Westin Market Street, and many times after the change to Park Central. I used to find good deals here, but now as a category 6, the prices have gone up significantly. We get nothing in return. Unfortunately I'll need to look at Hilton or Marriott properties for most SF stays now.

Also the resort fee at this hotel is completely asinine.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 11:54 am

Using my corporate rate, I'm no longer charged the facilities fee either.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:24 pm

This hotel has started participating in Make A Green Choice, but they kept the Park Preserve branding. I normally leave the sign out so that housekeeping doesn't wake me up (I tend to sleep in a bit) and to my surprise, I found a card slipped under my door that said it was worth 500 starpoints or $5 at MaSo.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
[*]I really like the (free for platinum) breakfast. They keep improving it. Last time, they had a Nespresso machine. This time, they had a freshly squeezed orange juice machine.
Thinking of staying here in two weeks times; as a Platinum is it still the full buffet breakfast as the breakfast amenity?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thinking of staying here in two weeks times; as a Platinum is it still the full buffet breakfast as the breakfast amenity?
Officially, the platinum breakfast is all the cold items on the breakfast buffet, with a $5 upgrade fee to include the hot items. In practice, I've never paid the $5 when I'm by myself.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Officially, the platinum breakfast is all the cold items on the breakfast buffet, with a $5 upgrade fee to include the hot items. In practice, I've never paid the $5 when I'm by myself.
Thank you for your reply. We have decided to stay at The Palace instead. We found an awesome rate the the Park Central, it was $130+tax+facility fee per night on a Z4H rate. Then I lucked into a BRG approval at The Palace where after all taxes are applied, it is about US$25 more per night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.