Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Ya know-I am just a little concerned about these hotels abandoning central downtowns and tourist areas in favor of convention centers.
A hotel in SF near the convention center is within a 15 minute walk of any major downtown business destination.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Ya know-I am just a little concerned about these hotels abandoning central downtowns and tourist areas in favor of convention centers.SF is not the only place-LA has two nice new HUGE hotels going up next to staples center.
Often times these are not convenient for those NOT attending a convention.
On the other hand-I guess if there are convention hotels that will decrease the demand on non CC hotels during big conventions.
This is an issue in some cities, but not in SF. The Moscone Center is not in the boonies. I stay at the W (the most "distant" of the 3rd Street Starwoods) when I have business in the financial district, and it's a very reasonable walk.

Originally Posted by sapguy
I'm from Philly, and yes, a 15 minutes walk is a LONG WALK for me

I'm the one who rents a car to drive around in Paris instead of using their Metro. Same with London and Madrid, and sometime even New York and San Fran ^
Even this Angeleno thinks you are nuts. (Maybe we just all love what we don't have.)
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Yes-I know that is the case in San Francisco.But really-the SOMA convention center district,while somewhat interesting,really does not say "welcome to San Francisco"the way Union Square/Nob Hill/Marina does.It is a newly remodeled/revamped area and again,while somwhat interesting,Is not very charming and I fear many convention attendees are going to come away with a skewed view of San Francisco.
But I was also including other cities in this opservation as well.
But I rarely go to conventions-so I would love to hear from those of you that do.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
No you didn't, but you quoted sapguy's post, which was in response to my original comment about how W SF, St Regis SF and Argent are next to each other. He said that all of these 3 hotels were next to the Moscone center. You said not exactly, but in fact they are. Actually, here's a picture I took from the St Regis: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...7594526860978/ as you can see, Moscone center is across the street from the hotel (the front entrance is by all these rainbow colored flags)
I was responding to the exact question after his comment: "What's up with all the starwood in San Francisco all next to one another?" All I was pointing out is that they're not all next to each other. And not all, by extension, are next to Moscone. Why the argument?

As to the folks who can't imagine walking 15 minutes from Union Square to Moscone, I rather enjoy it and have been doing it for years.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have stayed at the Westin St Francis and have taken cabs (back and forth) to the Moscone Center. You must really like long walks in San Francisco, I can see
Actually, I've attended two conventions in the last year at the St. Francis itself, so it wasn't much of a walk. But I have also stayed there and at other Union Square hotels when I've had to go to Moscone (or SFMOMA), and haven't minded the walk, either. Depends on the weather.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
The hotel is not showing up on SPG.com yet.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Yes-I know that is the case in San Francisco.But really-the SOMA convention center district,while somewhat interesting,really does not say "welcome to San Francisco"the way Union Square/Nob Hill/Marina does.It is a newly remodeled/revamped area and again,while somwhat interesting,Is not very charming and I fear many convention attendees are going to come away with a skewed view of San Francisco.
But I was also including other cities in this opservation as well.
But I rarely go to conventions-so I would love to hear from those of you that do.
Well ya know, ya can always take a cab (the fare is only a few dollars) from these convention hotels to whereever you wanna go to in Frisco, very simple
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
Even this Angeleno thinks you are nuts. (Maybe we just all love what we don't have.)
Why do you think that I'm nuts? What's wrong with driving yourself to go whereever you want to go?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:39 pm
SST

Well ya know, ya can always take a cab (the fare is only a few dollars) from these convention hotels to whereever you wanna go to in Frisco, very simple
Well, "Frisco"; I guess that says it all.......
Old Feb 11, 2007, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SST
Well, "Frisco"; I guess that says it all.......
I love Frisco! It's one of my favorite cities in the world, and I hope to retire to old Frisco someday
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:00 am

Coming into town with three friends (early thirties) who have never been to San Fran. Looking for advice as I decide between the Sheraton Fish Wharf and the New Westin Market. Would rather cab it to the touristy things we want to do-Fish Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, baseball game etc. and be closer to the nightlife/good restaurants when chosing a hotel location. Are either of these SPG props close to the bars / clubs /restaurants etc? We don't mind walking a bit either. Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Bosny
Coming into town with three friends (early thirties) who have never been to San Fran. Looking for advice as I decide between the Sheraton Fish Wharf and the New Westin Market. Would rather cab it to the touristy things we want to do-Fish Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, baseball game etc. and be closer to the nightlife/good restaurants when chosing a hotel location. Are either of these SPG props close to the bars / clubs /restaurants etc? We don't mind walking a bit either. Thanks.
Then you don't want to stay at the Wharf. The W, St. Francis, Palace, St. Regis, or Westin Market St. will all suit you well. You can walk (a decent, but flat walk) to the ballpark from all of them, but the W and St Regis are closest.) I am partial to this walk because once while staying at the W, I found $300 on the sidewalk while walking from the ballpark back to the hotel
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:41 am

Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 14, 2007.

Category 4 in case that wasn't known. $209 on "opening" night.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
Please don't say "frisco"!!
To the guy who was thinking about staying by the warf...don't, i'ts very junky there.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:59 pm

Bump. Still looking for info about the New Wetsin area. Posts refer to the hotel not open yet, so no feedback. I am NOT looking for info on hotel interior/services...trying to chose a location based on the factors listed in my previous post. Any help? Someone familiar with the area at all? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.