Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood matches FT and real life IDs following negative comments…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood matches FT and real life IDs following negative comments…

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Starwood matches FT and real life IDs following negative comments…

I may be over-reacting a tad here but I’m rather disappointed...

Following a negative review I posted recently (Westin Chosun, it sucks), I was rather surprised to receive a PM from “Starwood Lurker II” asking for my private email address for further comments and addressing his message to my actual name and not my FT handle…

I had, quite a few years ago, been in touch with the original Lurker (never with #2) but this was for both SPG questions and some private banter… never thinking Starwood was actually keeping a database of FT handles and their real life owners details… (and keeping it for so long).

I don’t recall agreeing to this and in many countries, this is a very regulated practice – the EU in particular doesn’t take customer databases built without their consent too lightly…

Whilst I have no illusions of anonymity online, I find this rather disturbing, especially since I haven’t been in touch with them for years now….
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

youre saying Starwood Lurker II entered your flyertalk name into the starwood system?

i gave my SPG number to Starwood Lurker at one point because of a problem (he resolved quickly) and thought nothing of it. IIRC many others have as well, in order to get assistance/priority/etc.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

No (but who knows, actually...?)

The issue here is that he sent me a PM (private message) via the FT system, using my REAL name (and not FT handle) following my negative review of a property posted on FT recently.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

whoa.. how is that possible? you were identifiable from the report?

and why didnt they just use the email registered to your starwood account?

sorry i missed this the first time >
Originally Posted by Canista
...addressing his message to my actual name and not my FT handle...
also, as you had pointed out, and something i had not thought about - if they can get your personal information, they could give it to anyone on FT etc. that is definitely subject to regulation everywhere...

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 18, 2008 at 10:45 pm
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
whoa.. how is that possible? you were identifiable from the report?

sorry i missed this the first time >
Please re-read my post - they have my real name from way back, from private messages with the Starwood Lurker (the original one)...

What I find amazing is that they keep a database for so long and share it within the group (since Lurker 2 is based in Asia)...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

removed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 18, 2008 at 10:55 pm
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Wow. That's incentive for all of us to close our FT accounts and start new ones.

Last edited by adventurous; Jun 18, 2008 at 11:10 pm
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Since both Starwood Lurker's have been so helpful to all of us over the years, did you at least ask him privately about this?

If this had happened to me, I would have covered my bases with him first before bringing this up in the Starwood forum.

ymmv
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(i edited my post, sorry)

sorry Canista, you didnt say you gave Starwood Lurker your name before..

so couldnt it be either way, that Starwood Lurker entered your FT handle into your SPG account, or that Starwood Lurker II IDed you from the report?

if the former, i definitely agree that is seriously questionable and i have a real problem with it.

the latter would come down more to posting information that can ID you, not sure what my opinion is on that.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 18, 2008 at 11:03 pm
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Does the handle on another site, where there's a negative review posted about a stay around the same time, bare any relation to your real name ?

2+2 etc etc.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FlyingOnceMore, i think i see what youre talking about. if it is indeed Canista, that would seem to suggest it is the latter possibility IMHO. OTOH it would still make me wonder just how easy it is to search the SPG database...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
Since both Starwood Lurker's have been so helpful to all of us over the years, did you at least ask him privately about this?

If this had happened to me, I would have covered my bases with him first before bringing this up in the Starwood forum.
I agree. The Starwood Lurkers provide considerable value to the FT community. I think they have earned the courtesy of being asked about this privately before making assumptions and posting them here.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by ECOTONE

ymmv
Completely agree. Lurker has resolved two issues of mine to complete satisfaction. I'm guessing Lurker II was trying to help.
And if you want to REALLY understand a troublesome reaction from a negative review of a hotel, look at this thread about an FTer who wrote a TripAdvisor review that ended up with legal threats:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810335
Until they're proven to have some other agenda, I'd give the Lurkers a chance to explain what happened in your case.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

personally, i like knowing Starwood Lurker II sent the PM with the real name, even if they got it from the latter possibility/supposition i made as opposed to the former. and also even if it is the latter, i like having that information their being able to obtain the real name tells us about how its possible to search the SPG system.

i guess i dont know Starwood Lurker all that well, but i cant seem to imagine him sending a PM with your real name when you havent given it to him...
Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FlyingOnceMore, i think i see what youre talking about. if it is indeed Canista, that would seem to suggest it is the latter possibility IMHO. OTOH it would still make me wonder just how easy it is to search the SPG database...
All I'm pointing out is that you can put small bits of info together and get an pretty accurate answer from any database.

Our Lurker has helped me before and if he has my name/acct. no. in a book or on screen with my FT handle, it doesn't bother me. YMMV

In fact on another forum, the lurker there PM'ed me with a request using my real name (we'd had no previous contact) and my immediate reaction was "That's a smart cookie !"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.