FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Need advice for Montreal, Canada: Sheraton vs Le Meridien (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/835952-need-advice-montreal-canada-sheraton-vs-le-meridien.html)

Sia Bani Jun 18, 2008 3:30 pm

Need advice for Montreal, Canada: Sheraton vs Le Meridien

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. What a great site!

I did some searching of the archives, and found a couple threads, but no certain answer.

But wanted to know what you thought about the Sheraton vs Meridian.

The cost difference for us after miles, etc will be 45 a night for Meridian vs 60 for Sheraton, and a few thousand more miles...so it's pretty negligble.

Which will be a better time for 4 nights in Montreal over the 4th of July weekend?

thank you,

abk Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Sia Bani (Post 9901412)
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. What a great site!

I did some searching of the archives, and found a couple threads, but no certain answer.

But wanted to know what you thought about the Sheraton vs Meridian.

The cost difference for us after miles, etc will be 45 a night for Meridian vs 60 for Sheraton, and a few thousand more miles...so it's pretty negligble.

Which will be a better time for 4 nights in Montreal over the 4th of July weekend?

thank you,

look at the w. it is far nicer than either the sheraton or meridian. edited to add that i just looked at the pricing difference for that weekend and it is huge. can't help you with your choice.

SanDiego1K Jun 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Starwood forum. We're delighted to have you amongst us.

It sounds as though you've already done your search, but just in case, here are some threads that might be useful:

Montreal Area
Montreal - W Hotel Montreal
Montreal - Le Sheraton Centre Ville
Montreal - Le Meridien
Montreal: Which Starwood?

I browsed thru the "Montreal: Which Starwood?" thread and found some comparison of the two properties that you reference. Perhaps there is some useful information for you - and hopefully others will chime in.

Sia Bani Jun 18, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks guys. Apparently the gf made the decision for us ;-)

We're going to stay at the Sheraton. Apparently not much of a hookup on the W...oh well, should be nice nonetheless.

bigguyinpasadena Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk Sia Boni.
You will be fine at the Sheraton-now my 2nd favorite *wood in Montreal :D
I am going to PM you with some info.

sbtinme Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm

I'll only add a simple comment here that the location of the Sheraton is really excellent for sightseeing and for weekend visiting in Montreal. The LM isn't in a bad location, by any means, but I think you'll find the Sheraton very centrally located.

I've stayed at both and my preference is for the Sheraton. The LM is certainly fine, but it feels like a European small hotel to me. Some love that feeling, but it feels cramped a little from where I'm sitting. Tiny lobby, tiny elevators, odd hallways, and not huge rooms. All that said, the LM does have good customer service and everything about my room was both spotless and well tended to. Some find these smaller, boutique-inspired properties charming, but I'm much happier on one of the top floors of the Sheraton.

Guava Jun 19, 2008 12:45 am

If you are Platinum, the Shearton Montreal will upgrade you to their Club Floor and maybe even a 2 room suite. In any case, the Club Lounge is really nice, don't miss the happy hour there.

I just came back from the W Montreal this past weekend, the W had one of the best service around and I would pick them over the Sheraton if points/money is no issue.

aaac Jun 19, 2008 1:35 am

I will buck the trends here. I have stayed at all 3 properties and the Sheraton is my least favorite. The rooms are dark and gloomy, its location is hard to beat though. I like the LM a lots more particularly if you score one of the corner room.

canuck_in_pa Jun 19, 2008 4:16 pm

What I remember most is that they charge for soft drinks up in the Sheraton's lounge :td: There's at least one thread with a long discussion of this nickel-and-diming.

sbtinme Jun 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by canuck_in_pa (Post 9907856)
What I remember most is that they charge for soft drinks up in the Sheraton's lounge :td: There's at least one thread with a long discussion of this nickel-and-diming.

You're absolutely correct about the Sheraton charging for soft drinks in the lounge. That is a MAJOR strike against it; but the overall property is still a solid choice, IMO. Regardless, Starwood corporate (which owns and manages this Sheraton) should be ashamed of their decision to charge for all drinks (save coffee and tap water) at this property. This policy runs counter to virtually every other club lounge on the planet, so guests are routinely surprised to get a bill for their diet coke or club soda here.

:td::td::td::td::mad::td::td::td::td:

IaLTO Jun 21, 2008 7:21 am

Montreal is popular. :)

I am traveling there as well over the 4th of July weekend.. reading all the threads, the W looks the best, but pretty expensive (no cash+points, no free night award avail online, $400 min room rate)... Hence, am leaning towards the Sheraton as well... btw, am Gold on SPG.

One issue: We're traveling with our 4 month old (first trip out with her), and not sure how that should change the decision one way or the other...

Also, not planning to rent a car, but should we?

Thanks in advance...

IaLTO Jun 21, 2008 7:34 am

Update: cash+points not avail at the Sheraton... maybe better to just pay the 150 rate... so its, not as great a val... not sure how it changes things.