Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Starwood and 3rd party bookings: any benefits? stay credits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Starwood and 3rd party bookings: any benefits? stay credits?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:39 am

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
Does anyone know if the PlanetHollywood website is considered a "Starwood-branded website". I want to know if I can take advantage of the AAA rate advertised directly on the PH website while booking online with SPG. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:41 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
So one experience suggests I won't get any points, but my question still stands. If there is no mention anywhere on the reservation or the terms/conditions about not receiving points, am I right in expecting them?

EDIT: spoke with Plat desk, they told me no points for any bookings done on 3rd party websites, I must make the booking using the SPG 800 number, spg.com or directly with the Hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by tw1tch
So one experience suggests I won't get any points, but my question still stands. If there is no mention anywhere on the reservation or the terms/conditions about not receiving points, am I right in expecting them?
It says this in the Terms and Conditions of Membership of SPG:

4B.2. An "Eligible Stay" is one or more consecutive nights at the same Participating Property, whether or not you checked-out and checked back in, during which you paid an Eligible Rate and presented your Preferred Guest number at registration. An "Eligible Night" is each night during an Eligible Stay. All stays are deemed to occur on the date of arrival; however, nights within a stay belong to the month in which they occur.

4B.3. If you do not pay an Eligible Rate, your stay is not an Eligible Stay and will not count towards the Gold Minimum Requirement or the Platinum Minimum Requirement, even if you earn Starpoints on Eligible Charges during that stay. Stays in which you used a Free Night Award or paid through a pre-paid third party channel, do not count as “Eligible Stays” as you did not pay an Eligible Rate.

4B.4. An “Eligible Rate” is the rate you pay for your room, but excludes:

(a) for hotels located in Asia Pacific*, rooms where the booking is not made directly with Starwood or a Starwood branded web-site;

(b) for hotels located outside of Asia Pacific*, pre-paid rooms where the booking is made by an agent or third party and you pay for that booking directly to such third party, such as tour operators, and pre-paid channels, including, but not limited to priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, hrn.com, hotwire.com, lastminute.com, site59.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, quickbook.com, travelweb.com, lodging.com, yahootravel.com, and travel.msn.com;

So, no, I would not expect them, especially if the rate is pre-paid.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
Thank you Lurker, I neglected to read THOSE terms and conditions, I was looking for information from hotels.com about that.

Cheers,
Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Si_Ting_ca
Does anyone know if the PlanetHollywood website is considered a "Starwood-branded website".

Yes. See the Everything you want to know about status at SPG sticky thread
Old Nov 22, 2008, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
How About Airline Sites?

I'm thinking of booking a trip to LA through nwa.com's WorldVacations service. It works out at a fairly good deal on a combined hotel and plane booking. Three nights at the Westin LAX would add about $250 versus just booking the plane tickets alone.

Does anyone know for sure if platinum benefits or stay credit would apply? I'm well aware that bookings with Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. do not provide stay credit or benefits. But I think I remember from discussion back when this was a new policy that bookings made via airline partners were explicitly OK. I've not found anything with a search, so was wondering if anyone had experience with this.

The current terms and conditions do not mention an exception for airline bookings to the general policy denying prepaid 3rd party rates in 4B.4.b. https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...spg_terms.html

They just state that

4B.4. An “Eligible Rate” is the rate you pay for your room, but excludes:
(b) for hotels located outside of Asia Pacific*, pre-paid rooms where the booking is made by an agent or third party and you pay for that booking directly to such third party, such as tour operators, and pre-paid channels, including, but not limited to priceline.com, expedia.com, hotels.com, hrn.com, hotwire.com, lastminute.com, site59.com, orbitz.com, travelocity.com, cheaptickets.com, quickbook.com, travelweb.com, lodging.com, yahootravel.com, and travel.msn.com;
(d) room rates that are master billed or paid at tour operator rates, wholesaler rates, including WFNR, TAED rates, and crew room rates;
Old Nov 23, 2008, 12:53 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Kinda-sorta a third-party booking. I book with a fatwallet referral and get 3% rebate in cash plus all my SPG points. I only figured it out about a month ago though (made $150 so far). Wish I knew a year and a half ago. I've had about 130 nights since I started at my company. I'd be up a few thousand dollars by now. But wouldn't you know it, now that I found the rebate I got laid off. Sheesh!
Old Nov 23, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by ENIAC
Does anyone know for sure if platinum benefits or stay credit would apply?
Hi ENIAC,

I believe this does get tricky and I admit I might not be so sure as well. I would not commit any definite answer but one thing that might help would be to check whether the airline websites direct the user to our branded websites. If they do, then the stay itself would be eligible and you would get to enjoy the related benefits of your stay. Reason being you are still making a reservation through our website.

For other situations, the answer is no but YMMV.

[email protected]
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ENIAC
I'm thinking of booking a trip to LA through nwa.com's WorldVacations service. It works out at a fairly good deal on a combined hotel and plane booking. Three nights at the Westin LAX would add about $250 versus just booking the plane tickets alone.

Does anyone know for sure if platinum benefits or stay credit would apply? I'm well aware that bookings with Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, etc. do not provide stay credit or benefits. But I think I remember from discussion back when this was a new policy that bookings made via airline partners were explicitly OK. I've not found anything with a search, so was wondering if anyone had experience with this...
If this is pre-paid to NWA WorldVacations, it won't be eligible. No doubt in my mind about that at all.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
That would depend. As far as the Asia Pacific properties are concerned, any reservation booked through a third-party site is ineligible.[/email]
Could you clarify "3rd party site" - all my rezs are booked via Amex corp travel. Is that a "3rd party site" ? In the past I have always gotten full credit, and had Gold bennies.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Could you clarify "3rd party site" - all my rezs are booked via Amex corp travel. Is that a "3rd party site" ? In the past I have always gotten full credit, and had Gold bennies.
Non corporate travel sites, such as travelocity, expedia. Have you reviewed the information in the SPG T&Cs?? The information is posted in ENIAC post above.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:18 am

It's not so much the third-party site thing that's the problem. It's the pre-paid thing on a third-party site that definitely renders it ineligible. If in the past you've always gotten full credit and Gold benefits using this portal, why would that stop?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
So are all my stays. An SPG rep once told me there is a difference between some travel agents and others, and Amex corp travel books directly, or something like that - im sure the lurkers can clarify the difference between 2 types of agent bookings.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If this is pre-paid to NWA WorldVacations, it won't be eligible. No doubt in my mind about that at all.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thanks. It looks like the WorldVacations option does involve prepaying the hotel along with the plane ticket. So it makes sense that it would be treated like Hotwire, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:21 pm

Question Do I get points if I don't book through SPG?

I booked a room at the Maui Sheraton through AAVacations. Do I still get my Starwood points?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 6, 2008 at 6:50 pm Reason: Merged without edit into FAQ on topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.