Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Platinum override - hotel must be fully booked ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:39 am
jhm
Original Poster

I was just checking the platinum override rate at the Westin Dublin for this weekend (6-7 June - 1 night) and was told by the SPG online chat person that this only applies if the hotel is fully booked. In this case, there is availability on spg.com - the presidential suite at EUR 2,150! - so the platinum override is not available.

Is this fully booked rule correct ? I had a quick look at spg.com but couldn't see anything.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott, Hertz #1 Club
I don't know, but a possible workaround?

Sorry I don't know what the T & C's say, but could it work if you reserve the presidential suite, then do the override and then cancel the suite before 12 pm the day of arrival as the suite's cancellation policy permits? I would hate to do this and hopefully your platinum concierge or someone on flyertalk have a better idea, but you should be able to get your room.

I hate to use loopholes to get benefits out of companies, but sometimes there rules are a little too counterproductive. The point of the override is to reward frequent guests the ability to pay the rack rate which is a purposefully high rate to permit them to stay in the hotel during high demand. The availability of a premier suite for 3 times the cost should not preclude the hotel honoring the purpose of the perk. Even if the technical rules have not been met, the practical rules have (which would make me feel comfortable booking and canceling the suite if the hotel will rely on the form over the function of the rules).

The availability of the suite should make it easier to honor the override and not have to bump one of the customers out - just bump them up. I know this suite is a ridiculously nice one, but the rack rate of a regular room should more than make up for the marginal costs of having someone stay there one night (and what a way to reward a special guest). And the liklihood of booking a 21,000 euro suite 2 days in advance are becoming really slim.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:58 am
Suspended

i would definitely email william. that doesn't seem fair. it seems like one heck of a loophole.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Originally Posted by jhm
I was just checking the platinum override rate at the Westin Dublin for this weekend (6-7 June - 1 night) and was told by the SPG online chat person that this only applies if the hotel is fully booked. In this case, there is availability on spg.com - the presidential suite at EUR 2,150! - so the platinum override is not available.

Is this fully booked rule correct ? I had a quick look at spg.com but couldn't see anything.
Why don't you just call the PLT desk and ask about the override rate? They are very pleasant people to talk to.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WestLA-FF
Why don't you just call the PLT desk and ask about the override rate?
isn't that what he did?

edited to add: he used the online chat. isn't that the same thing?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
You're kidding? On-line chat? How come I never knew about that?

Sometimes I am such a computer dummy.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinsac
You're kidding? On-line chat? How come I never knew about that?

Sometimes I am such a computer dummy.
the fact that the web "gurus" were able to implement this blows me away. they must have outsourced it.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:12 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i would definitely email william. that doesn't seem fair. it seems like one heck of a loophole.
It may seem like a loophole, but there is still a room (suite) available for sale. Until it goes, a Platinum override can't be done.

Still, what would be the harm in having Platinum Concierge ask the hotel to consider it?

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Red face

If i were you I would do what i have done in the past. when the president suite is the only one left i book it. then there is no more rooms left. the i call the platinum line to book another room under the platinum override. once that is done i cancel the presidential suite. END of story

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.