Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Back when the Dolphin was a Cat 4 and the Swan a Cat 5 I always went with the Dolphin.

Now that they're the same though...

The Swan has several advantages for me, including:
- Significantly smaller property, so less people generally are in the building (Swan has 756 rooms, Dolphin has 1514)
- First stop on the buses - meaning when going out, the Swan folks might have packed up the buses already
- Closer to Boardwalk (you have to walk by the Swan to get to the Dolphin)

I have also gotten probably my best suite upgrade ever at the Swan - it was 1400 square feet on the top floor overlooking the courtyard.
I do think the food is slightly better at the Dolphin, but not by much. Bluezoo/Shula's is a strong combo. I love the karaoke at Kimono's at the Swan though.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mersk862
Back when the Dolphin was a Cat 4 and the Swan a Cat 5 I always went with the Dolphin.

Now that they're the same though...

The Swan has several advantages for me, including:
- Significantly smaller property, so less people generally are in the building (Swan has 756 rooms, Dolphin has 1514)
- First stop on the buses - meaning when going out, the Swan folks might have packed up the buses already
- Closer to Boardwalk (you have to walk by the Swan to get to the Dolphin)

I have also gotten probably my best suite upgrade ever at the Swan - it was 1400 square feet on the top floor overlooking the courtyard.
I do think the food is slightly better at the Dolphin, but not by much. Bluezoo/Shula's is a strong combo. I love the karaoke at Kimono's at the Swan though.
And if you need a room with two beds, those beds will be Queen Size beds at the Swan while they will only be Double Beds at the Dolphin.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:32 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Great stuff! So we went to book last night and found out that the Wednesday in the middle of our stay (1/29), both the Swan and Dolphin are totally full. Not a room to be had for love, money, or points.

We booked the Swan on points for a couple days before and a couple days after and took a room at the Vistana I-drive for the 29th (at a very reasonable price). No idea what's up at the S&D that one day but it's annoying that we can't use the 5 nights for 4 nights worth of points deal now.

Thoughts on the Vistana and our options?

Last edited by Out of my Element; Apr 29, 2018 at 5:45 am
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Southwest
I would call S&D and tell them you're trying to book but that date is sold out. No doubt there is a conference and they are holding rooms, it will probably open up eventually. One time I sent an e-mail stating that exact thing, and magically, availability opened up at one of them.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:40 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
There is a conference. The "Wind Conference", a big insurance thing. I expect they have booked everything for now and rooms will leak out.

For the time being we canceled the Vistana based on comments here and booked a property "on campus"
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Has anyone stayed here either since August or since the launch of Bonvoy?

Swan is a Westin and Dolphin is a Sheraton. Right?

Two clients of mine, one with titantium status and the other with ambassador status, want to take their families to Disney in June for a "business meeting." I'm guessing these properties aren't great with elite recognition given they're resort factories.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Has anyone stayed here either since August or since the launch of Bonvoy?

Swan is a Westin and Dolphin is a Sheraton. Right?
i was there in oct.

swan - westin
doplpin - Sheraton

i finds elite recognition good given hotel is always full. Don’t expect a room upgrade or a suite ever but the hotel always reaches out asking for your preferences and check in details via email. In October I asked only for no connecting room and they gave me a corner standard room with no connecting door. I was happy

you also get the breakfast buffet as an elite

with Star Wars opening soon and this being the closet hotel to Hollywood there won’t be such a thing as slow season hence above statements on upgrades now a certainty.

Last edited by Nuhusky; Mar 13, 2019 at 5:25 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky

i was there in oct.

swan - westin
doplpin - Sheraton
Which property in October? What, if anything, did you receive for your elite status?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Which property in October? What, if anything, did you receive for your elite status?
i edited my posted after your edit. I always stay in the swan. You get two queens vs doubles as dolphin

redemptions are expensive but you are at Disney and you won’t find a closer property.you get better value staying off property, heck you can stay at the ritz for the same price but you don’t get the 60 day fastpass perk. For that alone this hotel is worth it. If your clients want to ride anything popular you need a fastpass 60 days out

for what it’s worth I’ve been here three times in last two years staying 6+ nights each time. Going back again in a few months

Last edited by Nuhusky; Mar 13, 2019 at 5:31 pm
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
we were just there this week for 3 days on a points redemption. Booked regular room, upgraded to the business suite (conference table and all). Received a choice of options for Platinim amenity including:
- 1000 points
- continental breakfast for 2 upgradeable to full buffet for $8pp. We chose this. Very good buffet. Characters on the weekend.
- family basket with chocolates, etc

there were other choices as well but didn’t look at them too closely as we knew we were going with the breakfast option.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by martyYOW

we were just there this week for 3 days on a points redemption. Booked regular room, upgraded to the business suite (conference table and all). Received a choice of options for Platinim amenity including:
- 1000 points
- continental breakfast for 2 upgradeable to full buffet for $8pp. We chose this. Very good buffet. Characters on the weekend.
- family basket with chocolates, etc

there were other choices as well but didn’t look at them too closely as we knew we were going with the breakfast option.
Were you at the Swan or the Dolphin? What is the "continental" breakfast?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Were you at the Swan or the Dolphin? What is the "continental" breakfast?
Sorry - should have mentioned it was the Swan. The continental breakfast was basically bread, muffins, fruit. Nothing hot. Well worth the upgrade to the full buffet.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by martyYOW
continental breakfast for 2 upgradeable to full buffet for $8pp.
Is the Dolphin amenity similar? Continental breakfast upgradable to the full buffet for a fee?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:20 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
We stayed 2 weeks last summer at the Dolphin on a $150 BRG and were upgraded to a suite. Chocolate and champagne in the room as a welcome gift. We received 28 undated breakfast tokens which we were able to use at either the Swan or Dolphins breakfast buffet. We tried both. The Swans buffet is in a round room with a centrepiece tree called the Garden Grove. All hot food is in heating pans. Upgrade fee is $7. The Dolphins buffet is called the Mediterranean Market and has an open kitchen. Some hot food is in pans but eggs, pancakes and waffles are made to order. The upgrade fee is $8 there. We much preferred the atmosphere and cold buffet at the Mediterranean but did have the hot buffet a couple of times as I do enjoy my Mickey Waffles! If you have kids staying with you then it’s worth knowing that weekend breakfasts at the Garden Grove feature the Chip ‘n Dale characters
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:51 am
Suspended

I'm curious to know how neither of these two properties has Westin or Sheraton in their name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.