FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/820229-gone-hotel-pulitzer-amsterdam-netherlands-left-spg-1-apr-2015-master-thread.html)

sunfun Oct 29, 2010 1:23 pm

plan to stay here next fall for 5 nights using points, do you know what type of room I would get, I am also a gold

JFKSFOLAX_friend Oct 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sunfun (Post 15038428)
plan to stay here next fall for 5 nights using points, do you know what type of room I would get, I am also a gold

When you go through the booking process, it tells you what type of room you are paying for, no?

sunfun Nov 5, 2010 1:55 pm

it states a standard room.
do you know what kind (if any) upgrades you would receive being a gold?

JFKSFOLAX_friend Nov 5, 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by sunfun (Post 15082183)

I guess it would be depend on what is available at check-in.

sent Nov 5, 2010 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by sunfun (Post 15082183)

Don't expect anything so if get one, it will be a pleasant surprise. We stayed here as golds on a night when the hotel was apparently sold out and got exactly the room we reserved and had to pay extra for a canal view the following night.

sent Nov 5, 2010 6:12 pm

FT server ate my post months ago, finally had time to retype

Once we reached the Pulitzer via the train and tram, we began our 2 night FWN stay a few months back. We were booked for a deluxe queen room with the offer for a canal view for 50 euros + 1500 SPG points. I didn't want to commit the 50 euros so I was planning to figure out the canal view when I checked in.

We arrived around 2 pm and strolled up to the SPG line to check in and inquire about the canal view. The lady at the desk greeted us with one of those "it's really painful for me to smile" looks and informed us that all canal view rooms had already checked in and nothing was available. As soon as my husband heard that, he of course decided that he had to have a canal view. I offered to move the following night and she answered that it just wasn't possible. She reminded us that we were staying on points, assigned us room 561 (I think), made sure to write BREAKFAST EXCLUDED on our SPG gold folders and asked if we needed help with our luggage. We reconfirmed with her that all we were doing was going down a hallway and taking an elevator and she said "yes." Therefore we declined the luggage help figuring we'd be fine. She gave us another painful smile and said good bye.

We followed the elevator directions and rolled down the halls to suddenly find ourselves facing one of those extremely narrow winding stairs that led up to our room. We left the luggage at the bottom of the stairs and climbed up to check out the room. Opened the door to find a dark room with the curtains wide open and a (not) fantastic view of the chimneys on the building 10 feet away. I followed the advice given on this thread and went back down to request a different room. The front desk lady clicked away at her computer and said absolutely nothing was available. I offered to wait until 5 or 6 pm at which point she said a garden view room hadn't been cleaned yet but would be ready by 3:30. Not a problem.

We returned at 4 pm to find a fresh new group of staff at the front desk. The lady helping us this time gave us the keys to our new room and didn't even mention the breakfast exclusion. I asked one more time about the canal view and after some clicking, she told us we could move the following night as long we understood there was a 50 euro charge. We happily agreed, confirmed that there were no windy stairs involved in going to our new room, and rolled off to room 232. This room is in the Prinsengracht side of the building and was bright with a single large window with a nice view of the garden. I thought this room was fine but my husband couldn't get over the fact that it wasn't a canal view.

The concierge gave us great recommendations for drinks, dinner, and a happening club for the evening. We inquired about a canal tour for the next day and he recommended the Hop-on Hop-off tour. I was surprised he didn't mention the hotel's private boat and even when I asked, he still recommended that the commercial tour would be better for us. The next morning it became clear why he hadn't pushed the hotel boat - we saw the boat leaving and everyone on there was much older than us. We would've felt out of place.

The following afternoon we returned to the hotel to switch rooms and again found ourselves facing the original lady with the painful smile at the front desk. She gave us the keys to our new canal view room, 484 and rewrote BREAKFAST EXCLUDED on the folder. This room is on the Keizergracht side of the hotel and was either a queen or king deluxe room. A slightly different layout than the garden view room but similar size. There were two sets of windows in this room and it was definitely a quiet room. No winding staircase to enter this room.

Can I admit on here that I asked for the turndown service each night just to collect the stroopwafels? My husband insisted the two cookies are supposed to be eaten together like a sandwich. I had to fight him to get my half of the package!

Like the others in this thread, I agree that the best feature of this hotel is its location. So far my travels have only brought me to the two Luxury Collection properties in Santorini so when it comes to service, Hotel Pulitzer doesn't even begin to compare to the service we encountered in Greece.

leo-chan Nov 6, 2010 1:47 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N85: Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/5.1.21216/21.549; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Checking out of this hotel in a bit. My stay can be described as mediocre at best, similar to previous stays.

Got "upgraded" to possibly the smallest room on the floor (ending with 06) facing a courtyard with 4 other rooms staring at you.

Obviously don't want me to come back, so I shan't. Renaissance or NH will be my place to stay on my next trip.

Absolutely clueless front desk staff who will moralize you on how you need to keep your room key away from mobile phones, etc when I have my room key in my shirt pocket the entire day with nothing else with it, is IMO truly regretable.

If it was a 4P or Sheraton I guess I wouldn't be making much fuss but this is ridiculous for a Luxury Collection - a stark contrast with the service of the Grande Bretagne in Athens.

Only part of the service that redeemed it abit were the excellent staff members during breakfast service.

JFKSFOLAX_friend Nov 6, 2010 7:39 am

Originally Posted by leo-chan (Post 15085408)
so I shant

Very good word selection, "shant."

Astrophsx Nov 6, 2010 2:16 pm

I would only get a canal room if you can get on the highest floor. I stayed in room 105 and the road noise during the day can be pretty loud. I think I got upgraded as a gold in mid-June to a suite? I'll post the link again for the photos, but it was a pretty nice room, having a spiral staircase leading to a second level bed was pretty interesting.

http://gallery.me.com/brenthartley#100083

adkrick Nov 6, 2010 3:56 pm

Stayed here one night on a FWN award, the 2nd weekend of October. Had a wonderful stay. The desk staff were cheerful, helpful, and treated us very well. I was with my 15 year old daughter. The room was small but very cool, exposed beams, etc. Super bath amenities including a heated floor. The location can not be beat, we walked or rode bikes everywhere. We checked in at 10:30 am and checked out at 4 pm with no hassles whatsoever. I was very sorry we had to check out and move to a truly hideous Citizen M which was being paid for by work.

chris100 Nov 7, 2010 1:56 am

great experience

as PLT stayed at the pulitzer 31 oct for 1 night /reward . at check in/2pm i was told the upgraded room they had pre-assigned was not ready. after asking if they had another room after some consultation they told me they would give me one of their biggest rooms . free bf and internet offered without me asking.
the room was wonderful /huge on the highest floor . breakfast was excellent buffet , though service is a bit disorganized.., u have to find ur table on your own and then u have to fight for somebody to notice u and your coffee needs .

JFKSFOLAX_friend Nov 7, 2010 7:27 am

Originally Posted by chris100 (Post 15090379)
though service is a bit disorganized.., u have to find ur table on your own and then u have to fight for somebody to notice u and your coffee needs .

Great hotel and great breakfast...but, this is a problem. Service in the restaurant during breakfast is pretty awful.

leo-chan Nov 7, 2010 9:25 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 15086098)
Very good word selection, "shant."

a little typo there.. posting on the blackberry isn't the best thing..

JFKSFOLAX_friend Nov 7, 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by leo-chan (Post 15091806)
a little typo there.. posting on the blackberry isn't the best thing..

Oh, that's not a word? :o

:p

Shantanu Mar 25, 2011 6:11 am

Hi All,

I will be transferring from the Hotel des Indes in the Hague to the Pulitzer on Wednesday next week. For once, I won't have my car with me, but I will be travelling very light. Can anyone advise me the best way to do it please? I don't mind public transport and walking.

TIA

JFKSFOLAX_friend Mar 25, 2011 6:22 am

Originally Posted by sunfun (Post 15038428)

So, what happened? What did you get?

Shantanu Mar 25, 2011 6:24 am

Oh yes, in addition to the question I just posted, I wanted to ask..... does anyone know if the free breakfast to Plats is extended to those on C&P stays?

Thanks again all!

JFKSFOLAX_friend Mar 25, 2011 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Shantanu (Post 16099316)
does anyone know if the free breakfast to Plats is extended to those on C&P stays?

Someone does know. Me.

Yes, you get your free breakfast on a C&P rate (and on a full award rate). Absa-freakin'-lutely.

Enjoy.

Shantanu Mar 25, 2011 7:25 am

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 16099505)
Someone does know. Me.

Yes, you get your free breakfast on a C&P rate (and on a full award rate). Absa-freakin'-lutely.

Enjoy.

Many thanks for that! I have only stayed there on cash rates before.....so this stay will be my first c&p stay there.....much appreciate the info!

claes059 Mar 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shantanu (Post 16099265)
Hi All,

I will be transferring from the Hotel des Indes in the Hague to the Pulitzer on Wednesday next week. For once, I won't have my car with me, but I will be travelling very light. Can anyone advise me the best way to do it please? I don't mind public transport and walking.

TIA

Its very easy. Take the intercity train from Den Haag centraal station to Amsterdam Centraal station. From here you can take many trams to the Prinsengracht / Westerkerk. When you step out of the tram you will head to the left, opposite of the Westerkerk. After 5 minutes walking you will find the Pullitzer hotel. Its very easy.
If you do not want the hussle of buying a public transportation pass it will be easy to take a taxi from Amsterddam Centraal Station. Its not far away. But keep in mind not all taxidrivers in Amsterdam are honest..... !

Shantanu Mar 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Thank you......I will take the intercity, as you have recommended. I have stayed at the Pulitzer several times, but I have only ever taken cabs between the station and the hotel......I will look for a tram, as suggested by you.

claes059 Mar 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Shantanu (Post 16107413)
Thank you......I will take the intercity, as you have recommended. I have stayed at the Pulitzer several times, but I have only ever taken cabs between the station and the hotel......I will look for a tram, as suggested by you.

You can take tram 13 or 17, stop at Westermarkt. It will be a short ride!
Succes, and enjoy Amsterdam. Do not forget to visit the Anne Frank museum, it not far from the Pullitzer. Hope you will have sunny weather so you can enjoy the very nice garden of the hotel. Have spent many enjoyable hours in the garden.

TCnSanDiegoCA Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am

Had a recent 5 night stay on points here. I enjoyed my stay very much and was pleased with the service and treatment I received. I arrived around 2pm and received an Executive King room on the fourth floor with a very nice canal view. Room and bed was very comfortable, and I enjoyed being able to open the windows in the mornings and evenings. Received complimentary breakfast buffet each morning, which was really nice, I believe the price is around 29 Euros. Complimentary wireless internet access, very good/fast service. Location is excellent IMO, not in the busy touristy center, but close enough and with lots of good restaurants within easy walking distance. The Westermrkt tram stop is a quick 2-3 minute walk. Staff was very friendly. The elevators are phone-booth like in size, but were pretty quick and can hold 4 people at a time, amazingly. :)

Mad4Miles Jun 1, 2011 4:59 pm

A deplorable hodgepodge of a hotel. Truly an insult.

thomas199023 Jun 1, 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mad4Miles (Post 16487117)

hmm.. very informative... please elaborate! :confused:

AndrewT84 Jun 1, 2011 6:05 pm

Hum...I had quite a different experience. My friends and I just got back from a two night stay at this hotel this weekend and we were very impressed. It was a great property and quite convenient for us. It was located just a block or two from Anne Frank's House, and a 10 or so minute walk from Dam Square.

I booked the stay using SPG points and for 12K a night, I thought it was a great deal. We were upgraded to an Executive King room (unfortunately no suites or Junior suites available) which was split-level. The downstairs had a bathroom, desk, and couch/TV (couch was a pull-out bed). Bathroom was well lit and had a decent amount of space. Upstairs ("loft") had a dresser, TV, and King bed. There were plenty of outlets in our room and we had a view of the canal. There was a switch to automatically open and close the upper curtains. Both of us were also given free breakfast at the restaurant.

The breakfast was a buffet with various deli meats, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, pastries, breads, hot items (eggs, tomatoes, bacon, sausages, mushrooms), waffles, and juices/champagne. Regular price of the buffet was 29 Euros, so getting these included was terrific!

Staff was also very friendly and efficient. Would definitely stay here again.

JFKSFOLAX_friend Jun 1, 2011 8:35 pm

Well, I love that hodgepodge. One of my favorite hotels.

YWG-RO Jun 1, 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend (Post 16488193)
Well, I love that hodgepodge. One of my favorite hotels.

+1. Good hotel, great staff, great location, great city.

I wonder if tourism will plunge with the upcoming changes at the coffeehouses?

NYCtraveler Jun 3, 2011 10:14 pm

I like the hodgepodge!

I have stayed at this hotel for at least the last 10 years. It is a bit of "this and that" with all the canal houses put together, however I find it charming. I always feel welcome, like coming home.

The rooms are generally smallish, they have some clunkers but also some fabulous ones. With them now including breakfast for Plats....this is my hotel of CHOICE! Great beds, great location, free breakfast, free internet....All the things I get nickel and dimed for at other hotels....is gone. Fabulous.

If I have one complaint it would be that in all my years of staying here, I have never received any recognition for my loyalty to them.....even suite upgrades have been near impossible at this property. They just don't have the inventory. That said, if this is the worst thing...I am fine with it. The staff has been GREAT throughout the years and the current manager really seems to be on his game.

I will return in July and I personally cannot wait to sip some wine in the garden and listen to the church bells ring. Perhaps under my umbrella, but so be it!

Safe travels to all!

stimpy Jun 4, 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler (Post 16500877)
If I have one complaint it would be that in all my years of staying here, I have never received any recognition for my loyalty to them.....even suite upgrades have been near impossible at this property. They just don't have the inventory.

That is not exactly true. They used to give Plats upgrades to the best suites in the hotel. I recall the wonderful huge split level suites I used to get, room 456 if I remember correctly? But something changed about 5 or so years ago. Ownership change or something like that? Anyhow, at that time they installed a new policy of not giving out good upgrades to Platinum members. Maybe there are now too many of us, especially on award stays? Or maybe the hotel owner/management just decided to hold those suites only for paying guests. I don't know, but I know they are there!

The recent Platinum improvements are great, but the hotel and the overall experience just isn't what it used to be.

charder Jun 4, 2011 6:50 am

Currently staying for 5 nights at the Pulitzer on points. Booked deluxe room. Hotel is booked out for my entire stay so I asked in advance for an executive room and they really made it possible, incl. canal view (25mē)
There are only 3 suites and 4 jr. suites and there all occupied right now. He told me that if they had one free I would get it for sure. So they always try to give you the best but too many platinums and too few suites make it hard for them. Especially during high volumne summer period.
I will post details when I finished my stay.

LovetoTravel83 Jun 4, 2011 7:00 am

It seems their always sold out these days (that's for a year now).

sfcaFLYER Jun 4, 2011 7:20 am

Has anyone taken or used the boat at the hotel? The website says it makes a daily trip and is reservable for groups.

Am thinking of booking it for a party while staying at the hotel.

Quasiconvexity Jun 4, 2011 8:16 am

Originally Posted by sfcaFLYER (Post 16501919)
Has anyone taken or used the boat at the hotel? The website says it makes a daily trip and is reservable for groups.

Am thinking of booking it for a party while staying at the hotel.

We took the boat and paid around 38 euro pp. It was a pleasant enough experience although it was a little cold in march when we went. I think I wrote about in my review as well upthread (around april 2010).

mahasamatman Jun 4, 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 16501258)
at that time they installed a new policy of not giving out good upgrades to Platinum members.

We got the Oceans Twelve suite in March on a C&P stay.

charder Jun 4, 2011 12:07 pm

The question is how long one is staying, for only one night during the week it is not a problem to get the suite, but 5 nights in a row is a problem, especially when it includes a weekend.

Fishbait Jun 4, 2011 12:33 pm

Also staying at the Pulitzer at the moment - decided just last night to take an overnight trip from our also occupied rooms at the Le Meridien Brussels - two rooms on points. We weren't expecting much, but the desk clerk took a liking to us and gave us one great room in the very back of the hotel, overlooking the back canal with a balcony - spectacular! We are grateful, even though they are booked solidly tonight, great treatment.. Taking a rest before an evening out, sipping wine in the fresh air!

Robin

JFKSFOLAX_friend Jun 4, 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 16501258)
But something changed about 5 or so years ago. Ownership change or something like that? Anyhow, at that time they installed a new policy of not giving out good upgrades to Platinum members. Maybe there are now too many of us, especially on award stays? Or maybe the hotel owner/management just decided to hold those suites only for paying guests. I don't know, but I know they are there!

The recent Platinum improvements are great, but the hotel and the overall experience just isn't what it used to be.

I've stayed at this property three times in the past two years and have always gotten GREAT rooms/suites.

stimpy Jun 4, 2011 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 16502349)
We got the Oceans Twelve suite in March on a C&P stay.

I don't know what Oceans Twelve suite means, but are you talking about the split level suites? If they are giving those out as upgrades now, then they have changed the policy again. Good for you. I used to get those quite often back in the day.

charder Jun 5, 2011 2:03 am

If you mean by split level where on the top is only the bed, than this are normal executive rooms.