FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/820229-gone-hotel-pulitzer-amsterdam-netherlands-left-spg-1-apr-2015-master-thread.html)

HomerJ May 22, 2009 8:56 am

Stimpy is correct...its very simple...

...and lets be honest these machines are very intuitive...I managed to do this in Italy without english prompts....worse comes to worse ask a local (as long as its not rush hour) ...the dutch are very nice folks.

CaseyN2 May 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by RDY3238 (Post 11788995)
Personally I don't bother with canal side. Certainly not for E50.
How much water can you look at...? this is Amsterdam. The canal side noise starts early....

rdy

Yep around 6 AM you will be awake on a week day.

tmartazu May 27, 2009 7:21 am

TravelZoo Rate

Hi all,

Thought I'd pass along this TravelZoo rate for Hotel Pulitzer that I found today.

For £105 (€119) per room, per night, inc tax, you'll also get a FREE upgrade to a Deluxe Canal-View room (based on availability at time of booking), plus 20% OFF breakfast.

This offer is available for stay seven days a week between 1 July and 31 August, but you must book by 10 June.

--tmartazu

Shantanu May 27, 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by RDY3238 (Post 11788995)
Avoid Hotel breakfast. Go to Cafe Hoek... left out of Hotel, and literally on the next corner. 30 secs away.

Hoek gets my vote too!

Thunderroad May 27, 2009 12:39 pm

May 2009 Trip Report on Hotel Pulitzer: Very Nice, but Some Problems

Just back from what on balance was a very nice two-day weekend stay at the hotel. One major flaw: My wife and I arrived at the hotel at about 12:30 p.m., were told that our room was not ready but that it would be by the 3 p.m. official check-in time, arrived back at 4:15 p.m., and the room still wasn't ready until after 5 p.m. If we weren't jet-lagged and exhausted, and if this wasn't a "Luxury Collection" hotel with high standards, this would not have bothered us. And I realize that the hotel was pretty full while we were there. Still, under the circumstances, it was a real drag.

A few more minor quirks involve some inconsistent concierge information and availability, a few funky aspects of the hotel (such as the elevators), a breakdown of communications between the front desk and the doorman regarding our taxi request when we departed, and a bit of rudeness from the doorman.

On balance, though, we had a very nice stay. The aforementioned quirks notwithstanding, most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Due to my Starwood Gold status and/or because I shelled out some extra points (14.5K, including breakfast buffet and a better room, as opposed to 12K w/o buffet) for a better-than-regular room, we had a very nice room on the top (5th) floor, overlooking the canal and with a staircase leading up to a sleeping loft from the small living room below. Not recommended for folks who have trouble navigating narrow, steep stairways or who might make frequent bathroom trips during the night, but we liked it. And not super-deluxe by luxury hotel standards--but like the hotel as a whole (which comprises about 25 former townhouses that have now been connected), it was charming in a quirky (in a positive sense) sort of way.

I suspect the canal view room is noisier than one overlooking the hotel courtyard--I slept with earplugs in--so it's a bit of a trade-off. Also, as others have noted in other posts, staying in a regular room on the ground floor might make the place considerably less charming.

The hotel does have a great location, very central so that in one direction you can delve into the tourist heartland and in others you easily get a bit off the beaten track. Breakfast buffet was nothing outstanding, but certainly sufficient and served in pleasant surroundings with efficient staff. Also, at least on the weekend days we were there, it was served until 1 p.m., which was great.

One side note: If you want to go to the Anne Frank House or the Van G Museum, I'd suggest trying to book tickets online in advance of your visit. We tried doing so for the former after we arrived in Amsterdam, but it was sold out for the entire weekend. Concierge was of no use for this purpose beyond pointing us toward the online booking option. (In fairness, I guess that if the concierge got into museum reservations it could be a pretty time-consuming task.)

I give the hotel a mixed review because of the drawbacks I mentioned and because I think at least some of the ground floor rooms are much worse than the one we ended up with. Still, if we had the assurance or likelihood of getting a good room again, we would definitely return there.

dmbfan222 Jul 11, 2009 6:36 am

Just came back from a Cash + Points stay, I love this property and have stayed there several times.

One question I had - in the past if I was upgraded to a room which included breakfast (Executive, Junior Suite, etc.) they would provide me breakfast. However, this time I was told by two different people that I was not entitled to breakfast because I was upgraded to the room and did not book directly into a suite. Anyone know if this is really the case?

Thanks!

bgriff Aug 4, 2009 1:39 pm

Just stayed at the Pulitzer for two nights on cash and points, and had a mixed experience. I was upgraded as a Plat to a great room, a large second floor "Junior Suite" with a bedroom on the inside of the hotel, one and a half baths, and a living room area with kitchenette facing the canal on the back side of the hotel. Having the bedroom on the inside was nice to avoid the noise concerns mentioned on many posts--though I didn't experience any big problems with noise, I could definitely hear street activity (and, one day, an outdoor concert) from the living room but not from the bedroom.

However, I was annoyed to be charged 50 Euros for early check-in when I arrived. Admittedly, I did arrive quite early, around 8:30am, but I've checked in at around that time at other European properties without any trouble and I thought it seemed kind of tacky for that class of hotel, and to do that to a Plat (they didn't clean the room during the first day I was there, so there was no extra cost to them to having me there). But I didn't make a fuss and paid the fee, and it was nice to have the room ready immediately.

Colin Aug 4, 2009 2:31 pm

What a great deal! 50EUR for a bed after a 7 hour red-eye from JFK. Rather shocking such a stay would be classified as "mixed".

Shantanu Aug 4, 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by colerc (Post 12174324)
Just stayed at the Pulitzer for two nights on cash and points, and had a mixed experience.

I wish my experiences there were as mixed as yours....I have never received a suite as a Plat....and often arriving at midday-ish, have often had to return at 4pm or later for my room....gladly would have paid €50 to check-in early......but I still love the property. I hope you had a great trip, despite having to part with €50.

Guy Betsy Aug 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Just stayed there 2 weekends ago using one of the free weekend nights I received from the SPG promo.

Got an 'executive room' .. which was nice and it faced a garden. But no breakfast option provided.

Room was ok, nothing fancy.

But after 2 weeks I had to write in to enquire about the Plat bonus which had not posted, and the extra 20euros for the internet.

Was told that they will credit the 500 points 'soon' but I was not entitled the charge for the internet. Now why is this so?

Starwood Lurker II Aug 17, 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 12234564)
But after 2 weeks I had to write in to enquire about the Plat bonus which had not posted, and the extra 20euros for the internet.

Was told that they will credit the 500 points 'soon' but I was not entitled the charge for the internet. Now why is this so?

Hi Guy Betsy,

How are you doing?

Are you referring to HSIA? It is not an eligible charge for Starpoints credit, officially.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd

avja Aug 17, 2009 11:16 am

Mixed bag - mostly good

Just returned from a trip to Europe which included four stays at Starwood hotels. First stop was four nights at the Pulitzer and overall I had a pleasant time. I am gold and based on previous comments about this property, I was not expecting special treatment especially since occupancy was high during the first two nights of my stay.

Rate was very attractive since I had booked during the late winter promotion - 40% reduction but prepaid. They did honor my request for a quiet room (which was requested based on helpful posts on this thread). Room was decent sized and not difficult to reach. Bathroom was tiny.

I had two problems - hour wait for room despite arriving after official check in time and missed wake up call. Asked for and received two complimentary breakfasts (one for each problem), so I felt that hotel did rectify the errors. Bill for one of the "complimentary" breakfast posted to my account but was quickly deleted at check out.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone spoke English as if it was his/her first language.

Would recommend hotel at rate I paid. However, I must reiterate prior comments that it should not be classified as a luxury collection property.

cbrown5294 Aug 23, 2009 10:50 pm

car parking advice?

I am going to have rental car for my 2 night stay and was told hotel parking is 55 Euro/night!
Any closeby parking ideas?

soitgoes Aug 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 (Post 12271998)
I am going to have rental car for my 2 night stay and was told hotel parking is 55 Euro/night!
Any closeby parking ideas?

What's your reason for needing a car? You may wish to reevaluate.

cbrown5294 Aug 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes (Post 12272032)
What's your reason for needing a car? You may wish to reevaluate.

Driving in from Berlin then driving to FRA to fly home....I know its not ideal but really no other way of doing it since we cant drop car and get another one (many $$$$ drop fees):td: