Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ready2Go
This property has once again begun offering double occupancy rooms for standard SPG Points redemption availability.

See Hotels limiting Free Night Awards to single-occupancy rooms only
Print Wikipost

GONE : Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam, Netherlands, Left SPG 1 Apr 2015 [Master Thread]

Old May 18, 2008, 10:35 am

Area Manager email?

Hi
I'm staying in the Pulitzer a few times in the coming month, all on award points. I note that far back in this thread (2006) the Area Manager of the Netherlands posted a comment and invited another poster to contact him regarding questions and room requests. Does anybody know the current Area Manager and his/her email? Anybody recently email a Pulitzer contact for requests and care to share the experience and contact infor?
Thanks
Old May 18, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by deaddog
Hi
I'm staying in the Pulitzer a few times in the coming month, all on award points. I note that far back in this thread (2006) the Area Manager of the Netherlands posted a comment and invited another poster to contact him regarding questions and room requests. Does anybody know the current Area Manager and his/her email? Anybody recently email a Pulitzer contact for requests and care to share the experience and contact infor?
Thanks
I believe Mr. Renold is still the area manager (for both the Sheraton Schiphol and the Pulitzer), or at least he was a couple months ago.

The Pulitzer is exactly as described by this thread IME - including all of the criticisms, and the faint applause. I stay once a year, and invariably find it overpriced and in need of a complete renovation. But there's a modicum of charm in there somewhere...
Old May 19, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by SportsTech
I stay once a year, and invariably find it overpriced and in need of a complete renovation. But there's a modicum of charm in there somewhere...
I completely agree ^
Old May 19, 2008, 12:09 pm

Thank you for the reply. While it certainly appears that there is a difference of opinion on the quality of the Pulitzer, one thing remains clear - I can use my SPG points for free rooms!!! That is not true of the Grand Sofitel, where I stayed my last two times in AMS (on somebody else's dime) and which was a very nice hotel in all respects. Hopefully, my stays at the Pulitzer this month will be sufficiently satisfactory that I will switch my paying stays there.
Thanks again
Old May 19, 2008, 1:00 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thank you for the reply. While it certainly appears that there is a difference of opinion on the quality of the Pulitzer, one thing remains clear - I can use my SPG points for free rooms!!! That is not true of the Grand Sofitel, where I stayed my last two times in AMS (on somebody else's dime) and which was a very nice hotel in all respects. Hopefully, my stays at the Pulitzer this month will be sufficiently satisfactory that I will switch my paying stays there.
Thanks again
I do not understand your point.. You're using your Starwood points to stay (it's still not free - you have paid for the points from your previous stays). It's a Category 5 hotel - 12,000 points per night. Wether or not you pay 300 EURO per night or 12,000 points per night, are you get the value for money or points?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:14 pm

In-room safe

Are the in-room safes at the pulitzer large enough to fit a small laptop (12.1 inch screen)?
thanks
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:55 pm

Are the in-room safes at the pulitzer large enough to fit a small laptop (12.1 inch screen)?
thanks
IIRC, yes. My laptop was larger than 12.1", and I think it fit into the safe without a problem.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
My Thoughts

I just finished two stays at the Pulitzer, one for 5 days (paid) and then a 1 day (award) stay. I was in AMS for work and decided to take a long weekend in EU after work was finished so I went to MUC for two days then back to AMS for 1 night, thus the two separate stays.

My overall impression of this hotel is^^^, I really liked it, the service was great and the location is excellent! I also think the whole concept of the hotel where each room is different is kind of neat, just walking though the hallways and checking out some of the small spiral staircases is cool. No worries on bringing the luggage to the room as the bell staff did that (I would NOT want to work as a bellman here!)

Armed with some of the posts in this thread I had a list of rooms to request at checkin, it seemed 423 had good reviews and I had a couple others but alas all were taken, I figured scoring one of those super rooms for 5 days would be a tough go, I ended up in 422 which was an executive room. It was decent size, had 2 desks, TV, closet etc. The marble floors in the bath are heated but the bed was GREAT! I notice we prattle on here about just about every part of a hotel except the bed, well their beds are one of the best hotel beds I've been in, big ^^^ on the bed. I also didn't hear any street noise in the room, which I had read (and later experienced) some room do have.

My second stay I got 303, which was a nice room as well though it did have some street noise, I'd not suggest this room for that reason, its also pretty much directly above the entrance.

I got my Plat amenities for both stays w/o asking, took the 500 points on one and a bottle of red wine on the other, the wine was delivered minutes after I got to my room.

I used their laundry "express" service which had my cloths back in under 2 hours, it was super expensive and usually I go find a laundry but the weather outside was too nice to sit in a laundry and I wanted to take the bottle of wine out to Vondelpark and relax

I will defiantly stay here again when in AMS.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 9:57 pm

Can you give me an idea of how much the "super expensive" laundry actually cost at the Pulitzer? My trip is very similar to yours (day in AMS, couple in MUC, and a couple more in AMS) and I'm thinking of packing light and doing laundry.
Thanks

Originally Posted by ryan182
I just finished two stays at the Pulitzer, one for 5 days (paid) and then a 1 day (award) stay. I was in AMS for work and decided to take a long weekend in EU after work was finished so I went to MUC for two days then back to AMS for 1 night, thus the two separate stays.

My overall impression of this hotel is^^^, I really liked it, the service was great and the location is excellent! I also think the whole concept of the hotel where each room is different is kind of neat, just walking though the hallways and checking out some of the small spiral staircases is cool. No worries on bringing the luggage to the room as the bell staff did that (I would NOT want to work as a bellman here!)

Armed with some of the posts in this thread I had a list of rooms to request at checkin, it seemed 423 had good reviews and I had a couple others but alas all were taken, I figured scoring one of those super rooms for 5 days would be a tough go, I ended up in 422 which was an executive room. It was decent size, had 2 desks, TV, closet etc. The marble floors in the bath are heated but the bed was GREAT! I notice we prattle on here about just about every part of a hotel except the bed, well their beds are one of the best hotel beds I've been in, big ^^^ on the bed. I also didn't hear any street noise in the room, which I had read (and later experienced) some room do have.

My second stay I got 303, which was a nice room as well though it did have some street noise, I'd not suggest this room for that reason, its also pretty much directly above the entrance.

I got my Plat amenities for both stays w/o asking, took the 500 points on one and a bottle of red wine on the other, the wine was delivered minutes after I got to my room.

I used their laundry "express" service which had my cloths back in under 2 hours, it was super expensive and usually I go find a laundry but the weather outside was too nice to sit in a laundry and I wanted to take the bottle of wine out to Vondelpark and relax

I will defiantly stay here again when in AMS.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Can you give me an idea of how much the "super expensive" laundry actually cost at the Pulitzer? My trip is very similar to yours (day in AMS, couple in MUC, and a couple more in AMS) and I'm thinking of packing light and doing laundry.
Thanks
If I remember correctly:
Jeans: 7 Euro
Polo Shirt: 6 Euro
Socks: 4 Euro
Boxers: 4 Euro
Undershirt: 6 Euro

Express Fee: 25%

Ended up being ~$55USD for a days cloths. I suppose not "super" expensive by normal hotel laundry but the USD/Euro adds some extra pain, especially when I can usually get a whole washer load done from a laundry for 13-15 euros.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:21 pm

Thanks - that is seriously pricey.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I stayed there last night and was as usual very pleased with my experience. Nice upgrade as a Platinum and great service. Amsterdam was beautiful under the soon to be summer sun. The entire city is orange for the Euro !
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:03 am

We're going to AMS next week. Does anyone have the email address for the Concierge? An email sent through the link on website went unanswered after 4 days.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:52 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
We're going to AMS next week. Does anyone have the email address for the Concierge? An email sent through the link on website went unanswered after 4 days.
My experience is that they are much better answering the phone than emails. If it's important, call them. If not, don't hold your breath for a reply
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:06 am

Upgrade to Canal View

We're staying here this weekend and just got this email:

"We are delighted you have selected Hotel Pulitzer, A Luxury Collection Hotel, for your upcoming stay and look forward to welcoming you.

Treat yourself to the full experience of staying at Hotel Pulitzer and upgrade to a unique canal view room for the reduced rate of 50 by clicking the link to the right."

Is it worth it? I heard mixed reviews even on the Canal view rooms. I am an SPG Gold and am using cash + points on these 2 night stay.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.