FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Reston Heights, VA [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/819287-westin-reston-heights-va-master-thread.html)

Bondiboy May 1, 2008 1:57 pm

Westin Reston Heights, VA [Master Thread]

Reston, VA

Travel dates: Weekends May 1 - Sept. 1; +$110 midweek

From Travelzoo

How often do we find a Westin for less than $100? Almost never. That's why we jumped on this $69 grand-opening special from The Westin Reston Heights.

This deal is good for weekends through Sept. 1, giving you an upscale springboard to D.C. action this summer. Midweek stays are just $179, which is a steal considering most area properties are well above $200 for this travel period.

The Westin Reston Heights is central to D.C. and Virginia attractions. It's a short drive to the July 4th fireworks on The National Mall, the Smithsonian museums and outdoor activities along the scenic Potomac River. After exploring the area, come back to The Westin Reston Heights and dine at the chic Vinifera Wine Bar & Bistro -- or order from the 24-hour room service and dine in your guest room, which features Westin's signature Heavenly Bed and Bath.

Book by May 9: Click here to book. You must scroll down to find the promotional rate after entering your travel dates. If you prefer to make your reservation by phone, call 1-800-325-3535 and request rate code GRAND1. Note: If your travel plans include weekend and midweek dates, we recommend calling.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/Redirect...ZOO_WI_1752_VA

sbtinme May 1, 2008 2:11 pm

I'll be very interested to read the first trip reports on this place. From what I've heard, they've had significant challenges this past month ramping up for the grand opening. Today was the official opening date (May1), not sure if they had a soft opening a few days earlier.

In any case, I'm there in three weeks and will post a report if no one else has.

As a plat, I'm pleased to a see a smaller new Westin with about a third of total room inventory as suites.:cool:

aussieinsf May 1, 2008 2:19 pm

Am staying here in a week or so on the mid week opening rate (which is also a good deal considering the stratospheric mid-week rates in DC these days). The promo cheap elite posts saves you about $100/night over the otherwise available rates - it's a good find.

johnsmith May 2, 2008 8:35 am

I'm taking a corporate group from the westin tysons to reston starting on Monday--very happy to be done with the westin tysons. I've been dealing with the corp sales folks at the new westin and they are a pleasure to deal with.

some cool features--50 suites (out of 190 rooms), a rooftop bar, shuttle service to/from Reston town center

kokonutz May 2, 2008 8:59 am

SWEET! This hotel is 1.3 miles from my office!

Just booked a room for tonight, $76.59 prepaid all in. This is really going to speed up my platinum run!!! ^

I [heart] flyertalk!

thebutlerdidit May 2, 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by johnsmith (Post 9666467)
I'm taking a corporate group from the westin tysons to reston starting on Monday--very happy to be done with the westin tysons. I've been dealing with the corp sales folks at the new westin and they are a pleasure to deal with.

some cool features--50 suites (out of 190 rooms), a rooftop bar, shuttle service to/from Reston town center

How about a shuttle to Dulles?? If they aren't offering one they should.

Bulldog King May 2, 2008 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by thebutlerdidit (Post 9666581)
How about a shuttle to Dulles?? If they aren't offering one they should.

Well.....the hotel's 'Features and Activities' page says:

Free Airport Pick-Up and Drop-Off (Limited)

A.J.

kokonutz May 4, 2008 7:42 pm

As noted, I stayed at this hotel Friday night. It was the day after the ribbon cutting and everything had that new hotel smell! ;)

For those familiar with the Sheraton Reston, this hotel is right next door.

They gave me a room on the 8th (top) floor and it was nice enough. There is no exec lounge, fwiw.

The bar and restaurant are dark wood with a modern W-lite look (without the too-loud music, thank God). Good, reasonably priced wine selection, and since I was one of the first guests/customers they comped me a few appetizers at the bar, all of which were first rate. Didn't eat at the restaurant.

Parking was plentiful and free.

The staff were helpful in helping me find a phone number for a local restaurant but didn't offer to make the reservation for me.

All in all, a solid business hotel and definitely a step up from the worn-out Sheraton next door.

Globehopper May 4, 2008 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 9676265)
As noted, I stayed at this hotel Friday night. It was the day after the ribbon cutting and everything had that new hotel smell! ;)

For those familiar with the Sheraton Reston, this hotel is right next door.

All in all, a solid business hotel and definitely a step up from the worn-out Sheraton next door.

Last time I was at the Sheraton Reston, I noticed a new multi story building under construction south of the Sheraton (almost across from the front door entrance of the Sheraton)-- is this the Westin?

As the Sheraton offers a shuttle bus service to IAD, perhaps Westin customers could use that service?

chix May 4, 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper (Post 9676503)
Last time I was at the Sheraton Reston, I noticed a new multi story building under construction south of the Sheraton (almost across from the front door entrance of the Sheraton)-- is this the Westin?

Yes!

kokonutz May 5, 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper (Post 9676503)

Actually, not quite. The building directly across the parking lot from the Sheraton is a new condominium building (built/managed by the same company that owns the Sheraton and Westin).

The Westin is between these two building on the back side of the parking lot, facing the road (Sunrise Valley) and backing to the Dulles Toll/Access road. So the Sheraton, Westin and the condo bldg creat a u-shape cluster of buildings with the Sheraton and condo making the sides of the u and the Westin making the bottom in between.

One other detail I failed to note: I didn't go to the rooftop pool, but heard from another guest that there is a nice hot tub up there.

noirpepper May 5, 2008 10:38 am

Great! Last time I was in the Reston Sheraton, 75% of the rooms smelled like glue due to new carpet installation. I was almost high by the time I checked out ;)! In for a night next weekend to chek it out. We can do a mini Do on Satnight in Reston!

Mountain Trader May 5, 2008 10:58 am

What has become of the old Sheraton Reston?

kokonutz May 5, 2008 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 9678861)
What has become of the old Sheraton Reston?

Nothing at all. And according to a placard at the Westin, as noted above, both of the hotels are owned by the group that built them and owns the little plaza.

sbtinme May 5, 2008 1:37 pm

So my question to those who've stayed here since it opened last week is simply this: with so many suites (and jr suites) in their inventory, were any of you Platinum SPG members treated to nice suites?

If so, details please! :cool:

THANKS