Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I hate calling SPG... phone system doesn't recognize my name

Old Apr 29, 08, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold

because their phone system is such a hassle. My problem happens after I give my SPG number. Then it asks for my last name. I've tried pronouncing it every way I could imagine it would think it sounds but it never works. After a couple tries it asks for my phone number.

It sounds like a small problem but it's a pain since it happens every time. I've tried just not saying my last name but it still makes me give my phone number after it asks me to repeat my last name a couple times. I'd like to either just right to a rep or give my SPG number and go to a rep. Any tips?
Old Apr 29, 08, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jw713 View Post
because their phone system is such a hassle. My problem happens after I give my SPG number. Then it asks for my last name. I've tried pronouncing it every way I could imagine it would think it sounds but it never works. After a couple tries it asks for my phone number.

It sounds like a small problem but it's a pain since it happens every time. I've tried just not saying my last name but it still makes me give my phone number after it asks me to repeat my last name a couple times. I'd like to either just right to a rep or give my SPG number and go to a rep. Any tips?
I haven't tried this, but apparently some automated phone systems are programmed to get you to a rep if they hear swearing.
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:14 am

Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
Then it asks for my last name. I've tried pronouncing it every way I could imagine it would think it sounds but it never works. After a couple tries it asks for my phone number.
This process takes me 3-4 minutes each time. Not only that, but it consistently pulls up the wrong record for the CSR (even though I've typed in SPG # and phone number), a process which takes another 3-4 minutes. ("Oh, you're not Larry? Then who are you? Your SPG number?") So I've wasted 6-8 minutes before I've even had a chance to begin describing my issue.

Yes, I enunciate very clearly, thank you; I've even done voiceovers. And no, I've never encountered another voice response system with the same problem.

The real kicker: I have one of the most common surnames in the entire world -- with about 100,000,000 of us, we certainly outnumber Germans and nearly outnumber Mexicans.
Old Apr 30, 08, 7:58 am
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
I hate it too... why can't it just recognize my phone number via CallerID like some credit card companies do?
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by b8b View Post
I hate it too... why can't it just recognize my phone number via CallerID like some credit card companies do?
doesn't AAmericAAn AAirlines also have the cAAller ID system?
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
Whenever I need to talk to a CSR, I always always do the "click to call." It works really well -- you have to sometimes wait a bit, but more often than not, I'm connected to a live person immediately, who has no problems recognizing my name, number, etc. It's way more convenient than wading through the automated system.
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
great suggestion

Originally Posted by fatfrog View Post
Whenever I need to talk to a CSR, I always always do the "click to call." It works really well -- you have to sometimes wait a bit, but more often than not, I'm connected to a live person immediately, who has no problems recognizing my name, number, etc. It's way more convenient than wading through the automated system.
As one who has also never succeeded in getting my name recognized, this looks like a great workaround...
Old Apr 30, 08, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by b8b View Post
I'm glad (maybe not the best choice of word) to see I am not the only one who has had the problems. I'm not enamored with the decisions of many companies to go to the audible-recognition (or whatever the technical term might be) systems. I don't like having to give information in a loud enough voice that anyone within earshot can discern, and that disdain is exacerbated by systems that STILL cannot get it right even when I follow their stupid processes...

Give me an old fashioned system that I can bypass with one push of a button. If I am calling in, then that says there was something I could not get online and I will be needing a human.
Old Apr 30, 08, 10:25 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
... Any tips?
My apologies if you, and some others, are having problems with the voice recognition software. If you just say the word "Agent", it should bypass the whole array.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:29 pm
b8b

It still would be nice if there was a Caller ID recognition in the system and THEN you could say "Agent" and they would have your account already pulled up
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I have the same problem - there was a workaround with the system asking for a phone number on the account, except its my work number and an associates account (who no longer works here) is always pulled up instead of mine so I have to do the manual look up process anyway.

I've used click to call in the past and its been great, but of course only works if you have an internet cxn available.
Old May 1, 08, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
My apologies if you, and some others, are having problems with the voice recognition software. If you just say the word "Agent", it should bypass the whole array.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I thought I had tried this but guess I hadn't. I just used it now to make a change to a res and it worked after a couple times of saying agent. Thanks for the info.
Old May 3, 08, 11:09 am
b8b

I just used it now to make a change to a res and it worked after a couple times of saying agent.
I have to say "agent" a bare minimum of twice, sometimes it takes 5 or six attempts, and you still have to wade through a lot of messages.

There's still no excuse for not having a caller ID system for an organization of this size and sophistication, IMO.
Old May 3, 08, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Thumbs down

Couldn't agree more!

I have an Eastern European name and the Starwood system has never been able to recognize it!

So I have to enter my phone number and then try to same my name again to no avail. After several minutes, I finally get to some type of agent!
Old May 5, 08, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
The system has never been able to recognize my name, not once, even though it's not an uncommon one.

"agent" it will be from now on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: