Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

I hate calling SPG... phone system doesn't recognize my name

I hate calling SPG... phone system doesn't recognize my name

 
Old Apr 29, 08, 9:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 660
I hate calling SPG... phone system doesn't recognize my name

because their phone system is such a hassle. My problem happens after I give my SPG number. Then it asks for my last name. I've tried pronouncing it every way I could imagine it would think it sounds but it never works. After a couple tries it asks for my phone number.

It sounds like a small problem but it's a pain since it happens every time. I've tried just not saying my last name but it still makes me give my phone number after it asks me to repeat my last name a couple times. I'd like to either just right to a rep or give my SPG number and go to a rep. Any tips?
jw713 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 08, 9:57 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 32,612
Originally Posted by jw713 View Post
because their phone system is such a hassle. My problem happens after I give my SPG number. Then it asks for my last name. I've tried pronouncing it every way I could imagine it would think it sounds but it never works. After a couple tries it asks for my phone number.

It sounds like a small problem but it's a pain since it happens every time. I've tried just not saying my last name but it still makes me give my phone number after it asks me to repeat my last name a couple times. I'd like to either just right to a rep or give my SPG number and go to a rep. Any tips?
I haven't tried this, but apparently some automated phone systems are programmed to get you to a rep if they hear swearing.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:14 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DCA ZWU 09W
Programs: BA 2V UA SPG
Posts: 1,732
Originally Posted by jw713 View Post
Then it asks for my last name. I've tried pronouncing it every way I could imagine it would think it sounds but it never works. After a couple tries it asks for my phone number.
This process takes me 3-4 minutes each time. Not only that, but it consistently pulls up the wrong record for the CSR (even though I've typed in SPG # and phone number), a process which takes another 3-4 minutes. ("Oh, you're not Larry? Then who are you? Your SPG number?") So I've wasted 6-8 minutes before I've even had a chance to begin describing my issue.

Yes, I enunciate very clearly, thank you; I've even done voiceovers. And no, I've never encountered another voice response system with the same problem.

The real kicker: I have one of the most common surnames in the entire world -- with about 100,000,000 of us, we certainly outnumber Germans and nearly outnumber Mexicans.
paytonc is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 7:58 am
  #4  
b8b
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SXSW
Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Posts: 980
I hate it too... why can't it just recognize my phone number via CallerID like some credit card companies do?
b8b is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:04 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: new york, ny, usa
Posts: 13,537
Originally Posted by b8b View Post
I hate it too... why can't it just recognize my phone number via CallerID like some credit card companies do?
doesn't AAmericAAn AAirlines also have the cAAller ID system?
fly co to see the yanks is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:05 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
Posts: 238
Whenever I need to talk to a CSR, I always always do the "click to call." It works really well -- you have to sometimes wait a bit, but more often than not, I'm connected to a live person immediately, who has no problems recognizing my name, number, etc. It's way more convenient than wading through the automated system.
fatfrog is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 8:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,549
great suggestion

Originally Posted by fatfrog View Post
Whenever I need to talk to a CSR, I always always do the "click to call." It works really well -- you have to sometimes wait a bit, but more often than not, I'm connected to a live person immediately, who has no problems recognizing my name, number, etc. It's way more convenient than wading through the automated system.
As one who has also never succeeded in getting my name recognized, this looks like a great workaround...
jbalmuth is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 9:01 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin (TX)
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by b8b View Post
I hate it too... why can't it just recognize my phone number via CallerID like some credit card companies do?
I'm glad (maybe not the best choice of word) to see I am not the only one who has had the problems. I'm not enamored with the decisions of many companies to go to the audible-recognition (or whatever the technical term might be) systems. I don't like having to give information in a loud enough voice that anyone within earshot can discern, and that disdain is exacerbated by systems that STILL cannot get it right even when I follow their stupid processes...

Give me an old fashioned system that I can bypass with one push of a button. If I am calling in, then that says there was something I could not get online and I will be needing a human.
michelle227 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 10:25 am
  #9  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by jw713 View Post
... Any tips?
My apologies if you, and some others, are having problems with the voice recognition software. If you just say the word "Agent", it should bypass the whole array.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:29 pm
  #10  
b8b
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SXSW
Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Posts: 980
It still would be nice if there was a Caller ID recognition in the system and THEN you could say "Agent" and they would have your account already pulled up
b8b is offline  
Old Apr 30, 08, 12:32 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greater DC
Programs: UA plus
Posts: 12,940
I have the same problem - there was a workaround with the system asking for a phone number on the account, except its my work number and an associates account (who no longer works here) is always pulled up instead of mine so I have to do the manual look up process anyway.

I've used click to call in the past and its been great, but of course only works if you have an internet cxn available.
GoingAway is offline  
Old May 1, 08, 9:04 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 660
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
My apologies if you, and some others, are having problems with the voice recognition software. If you just say the word "Agent", it should bypass the whole array.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
I thought I had tried this but guess I hadn't. I just used it now to make a change to a res and it worked after a couple times of saying agent. Thanks for the info.
jw713 is offline  
Old May 3, 08, 11:09 am
  #13  
b8b
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SXSW
Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Posts: 980
Originally Posted by jw713 View Post
I just used it now to make a change to a res and it worked after a couple times of saying agent.
I have to say "agent" a bare minimum of twice, sometimes it takes 5 or six attempts, and you still have to wade through a lot of messages.

There's still no excuse for not having a caller ID system for an organization of this size and sophistication, IMO.
b8b is offline  
Old May 3, 08, 9:02 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Expat in SIN
Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Posts: 1,452
Thumbs down

Couldn't agree more!

I have an Eastern European name and the Starwood system has never been able to recognize it!

So I have to enter my phone number and then try to same my name again to no avail. After several minutes, I finally get to some type of agent!
bsb21 is offline  
Old May 5, 08, 8:05 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Posts: 866
The system has never been able to recognize my name, not once, even though it's not an uncommon one.

"agent" it will be from now on.
canuck_in_pa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: