Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point valuation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Point valuation

Is there any common wisdom as to when it's good to use points (or points+cash)? For example, I'm using points+cash (2800+$45) for a $269 hotel (Anchorage Sheraton), which I think is a pretty good deal ($0.08/point). Would that same cost be good for a $200 hotel (Singapore Le Meridien; $0.055/point)?

The hotels in Seoul definitely seem overvalued for awards.
$185 vs 10,000 points vs 4000+$60
$205 vs 16,000 points vs 4800+$90
$260 vs 12,000 points vs 4800+$60

So what's a good breakpoint?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:39 pm

Hard to say. It really depends on how you value the points yourself, how many you have an how many you're willing to burn.

I like your first example for the Anchorage Sheraton. Would that be 7k points for the free stay there?

-David
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It really depends on how you value the points yourself
That's the value I'm trying to establish. I really only started with SPG this year, and have around 22,000 points so far. The Amex will generally be my primary point earning mechanism.

I like your first example for the Anchorage Sheraton. Would that be 7k points for the free stay there?
Yes. I figured spending $45 to save 4200 points was a great deal. In general I think the points+cash options seem pretty good when they're offered.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Lots of threads on this in this forum.

But figure 2.5 cents per point as a rough guide.

On cash & points, you'll have to pay taxes on the cash portion, but they are still often a good value.

So, 10,000 points = $250 (incl. tax)

C&P version = 4,000 points = $100. Add $60 + tax to that (say roughly 15% tax), your total is roughly $169.

UNLESS perhaps you are booking a five-night stay. No reduction in the C&P rate, but the points-only version is just 40,000 for five nights, or 8,000/night = $200 (incl. tax).

However, the above calculations do NOT take into account the fact that you will earn neither points nor stay/night credit on the room rate. (This is why I often book one paid night before or after an award stay.)
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Is there any common wisdom as to when it's good to use points (or points+cash)? For example, I'm using points+cash (2800+$45) for a $269 hotel (Anchorage Sheraton), which I think is a pretty good deal ($0.08/point). Would that same cost be good for a $200 hotel (Singapore Le Meridien; $0.055/point)?

The hotels in Seoul definitely seem overvalued for awards.
$185 vs 10,000 points vs 4000+$60
$205 vs 16,000 points vs 4800+$90
$260 vs 12,000 points vs 4800+$60

So what's a good breakpoint?
The Anchorage Sheraton is a good example of how valuable cash & points can be, especially for a lower Cat hotel that has a high room rate. I'm going to be doing cash & points at the Anchorage Sheraton this summer as well.

I also used cash & points for the Westin Paris first week of Apr. when a non-refundable rrom rate was 300 euros ($480) and the cash & points was 8000 points + $150 (charged as 95 euros). In this case, the 8000 points = $320 or $0.04/point, which I though was pretty good. My very first use of cash & points. In addition, cash & points is an award stay, so it's cancellable and you're only charged upon check out.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
I won't look at using points if it works out to less than 3.0 cents. Especially if you use them internationally, you should get that.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:45 am

That's the value I'm trying to establish. I really only started with SPG this year, and have around 22,000 points so far. The Amex will generally be my primary point earning mechanism.
You should be able to get 3 - 5 cents value per point easily, but Kathy's guidelines are reasonable also. Particularly if you use awards like 5th night free awards, combined with your strategy of using cash+points when it makes sense.

You can also get another quick 10k by getting the SPG Amex Business card in addition to the personal card.

I don't know how many other people do this, but I seem to arrange leisure trips so I'm staying somewhere for exactly 5 nights, instead of 4 or 6 nights.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Apr 25, 2008 at 6:15 am
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Poster

I seem to arrange leisure trips so I'm staying somewhere for exactly 5 nights, instead of 4 or 6 nights.
We're usually either 7 nights or 2 nights. On our Circle Pacific, it'll be 2 nights on Melbourne, 2 nights in Singapore, 2 nights in Tokyo, and 2 nights in Seoul.

Thanks for everyone for the suggestions. I think I have a much better idea on how to value my points now.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
We're usually either 7 nights or 2 nights. On our Circle Pacific, it'll be 2 nights on Melbourne, 2 nights in Singapore, 2 nights in Tokyo, and 2 nights in Seoul.

Thanks for everyone for the suggestions. I think I have a much better idea on how to value my points now.
I think the reason the 5 nights was brought up was because of the 5th night free award offered by SPG when staying on points, which I am guessing most of us seasoned SPG'ers do. (Love it when I can do that to a FT evangelist!)
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
I think the reason the 5 nights was brought up was because of the 5th night free award offered by SPG when staying on points
I figured that, but we don't plan our trips around hotel stays. On anything over two or three days (which is pretty rare already), we use timeshares or other vacation rentals, so there's actually no real value for us in that extra night. That could always change, but that's the way we usually operate.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 3:01 pm

I figured that, but we don't plan our trips around hotel stays. On anything over two or three days (which is pretty rare already), we use timeshares or other vacation rentals, so there's actually no real value for us in that extra night. That could always change, but that's the way we usually operate.
I don't either and didn't mean to give you that impression, but if I'm traveling on leisure and planning on using SPG points, rather than plan a 4 night stay, I will consider the 5-night stay since the 5th night is free.

It's just another way to get a little more value out of your SPG points.

-David
Old Apr 25, 2008, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

It's just another way to get a little more value out of your SPG points.
Options are always good.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
3 cents a point is my cut off, and I ignore the base points "lost" by booking an award rather than earning new ones. Remember to compare the number you get (e.g. $300 for a Cat 4 one night or $1200 for a Cat 4 five night stay) to the cash price including tax, which often adds another 15% or more to the price quoted. So even if the headline price is $265 for a night you still might be better off paying points.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Need a little help on a decision. I currently have a stay at Westin Excelsior Florence 10/11 - 10/16 that was originally booked at 25K/night for total of 100K (C & P was not available when I booked). Was double checking and now it can be booked for 20K/night for total of 80K OR Cash and Points of $150/night + 8K points for $750 + 40K total. I am thinking that C & P is the best option but thought I would ask the opinion of more experienced SPG members.
Old May 15, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sierranevada
Need a little help on a decision. I currently have a stay at Westin Excelsior Florence 10/11 - 10/16 that was originally booked at 25K/night for total of 100K (C & P was not available when I booked). Was double checking and now it can be booked for 20K/night for total of 80K OR Cash and Points of $150/night + 8K points for $750 + 40K total. I am thinking that C & P is the best option but thought I would ask the opinion of more experienced SPG members.
Americans love both of the Excelsiors, the one in Florence and the one in Rome but likely are not showing up in droves this year, at these hotels, due in part, to the downgraded dollar. Personally, I'd go for the full out 80,000 points but I have a significant quantity and may value mine somewhat differently. If I was going to spend the $750, I'd do it at the Hotel Lungarno and keep all the points in my account. After lots of research, that was where we stayed on one of our most memorable trips to Florence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.