FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/816095-le-parker-meridien-new-york-city-master-thread-leaving-jan-4-2018-a.html)

gleff Aug 4, 2009 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 12175935)
It was free in both the room and public spaces.

I do not recall it as free in the rooms.

I do however recall that their internet was just set to block explorer, and that logging into my work vpn allowed me to access the internet without first going through their pay site. YMMV.

hotelfanatic Aug 4, 2009 7:54 pm

burger and mattress

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 12168235)
I finished my stay and really like this hotel.

I didn't eat at the burger joint as the line was constantly a block long.

Here is an article about hamburger ranking in NYC. The Burger Joint was ranked #6. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/dining/06burg.html

BTW - I recall the mattress was very thin at this property. My friend stay there this summer and reported the same and was not impressed. In fact he cut his stay short due to not getting a good sleep. Anyone feel the same? I would go back if they had the Westin HB as the location is ideal and the view from the pool is ^^

gleff Aug 5, 2009 4:23 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic (Post 12176227)
BTW - I recall the mattress was very thin at this property. My friend stay there this summer and reported the same and was not impressed.

The mattress isn't especially thick. Bed is low profile, exascerbating the effect. I slept fine, but prefer a W bed.

Shantanu Aug 5, 2009 4:42 am

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 12177628)
The mattress isn't especially thick. Bed is low profile, exascerbating the effect. I slept fine, but prefer a W bed.

I got a sore back and neck from a one night stay....but I have a bit of a dogdy back.

tommy777 Aug 5, 2009 9:35 am

First stay -- My back, my back!!

After our horrible experience at W The Court, I called the hotel directly Saturday night to see if they had our corporate rate available for Sunday night, they did not, but after checking, they actually matched our 189USD a night rate at the Le Parker Meridien. Not bad.

After leaving the W Dungeon after barely surviving the elevators there, we walked in through the 57th street entrance, through the old church. Very impressive. It was immediately clear on this Sunday morning around noon that the hotel had been full, it was an organized chaos in the huge lobby of people waiting for their flights.

We were welcomed by a nice girl that immediately recognized my Platinum status and she asked if I wanted to wait for a Junior Suite facing south (not ready for another 3 hours) or get a room on a high floor facing the park immediately. I asked if there were some alternate suites available, she said they weren't allowed to upgrade Platinums to those suites, but she would ask the manager. She disappeared through the wooden door and came back with a negative answer.

So we took the park view room on the 31st floor. The keys are a little funny, pretty long, so not ideal if you keep your hotel key in your wallet.

There are plenty of elevators, 3 for the higher floors. They show old school cartoons on a little TV in the elevator.
The rooms are pretty big for NYC and the view was absolutely breathtaking. Herman Miller chairs, stone desk, Tivoli radio (no ipod dock), smart solutions and good upkeep. Old style TV in a pod thing and a VCR :D.

The bathroom is all marble and looks good. It's big and has a tub. They also have TWO soaps and plenty of other amenities. Honor bar with normal high prices. Room service breakfast starts at 29 USD ++, so for two, expect at least 80 bucks.

Wireless internet is not free, it costs 14.95 (I think) and you can't charge it to your room. You need to pay with credit card when the browser opens. We have internet included in our corporate rate, so I had to call downstairs and was given a 6 digit code that is good for 14 days (!!)

No temperature issues in the room. Put the air on 60 and it got comfortable enough. But it was only around 78 outside

We went up to the top floor to check out the pool. No kids in sight, not the biggest pool, but at least they have one.

Rainy day in NYC on Sunday, so we were happy to see there was a complimentary umbrella in the closet of the room.

So any problems? The bed.. The mattress is very thin and very hard. Pillows were absolutely fine. I did not have a great night sleep. It's kind of like a mattress you find at an Italian luxury hotel that is uncomfortable the first night, but OK the next ones. You get used to it. Not good since I mostly have 1 night stays for work in NYC.

A great property if you are not used to sleeping on great Starwood beds. I'm staying again for 3 nights from next Saturday, will see if my back agrees more with the Le Parker Meridien bed then

franci1975 Aug 5, 2009 12:58 pm

Went back to Parker Meridien this week (only hotel available).
As usual no real upgrade (even if I am platinum and in the Ambassador program). Only a high floor room. It is a pity. I have been there at least 5 times and never got a suite...

Only negative aspect the baggage service.

It took them almost 20 minutes to recover my bags from the deposit...They should increase the number of people working there if it is so complex to serve the clients!

Motion122 Aug 5, 2009 5:56 pm

Was there for a 3 night stay using the free weekend nights.

Checked in on the 31st around 11pm. Check-in agent is polite and helpful. Upgraded to a park view room on the 34th floor. Asked about a suite, but was told the park view was already an upgrade or take a city view suite. Took the park view, it was a good choice as the view is awsome to wake up to.

Requested late check-out as my flight was 6pm on the 3rd, but was told the hotel is sold out that night and the only time possible is 1pm. No drama there, but was a little pain in the rear waiting to check my bags and later to retrieve it.

Tried the Burger Joint...For those from the West coast, the burger reminded me of In-N-Out's burger, almost identicle is taste, but at two to three times the cost. Fries are the usual frozen variety...dry. Burger is nice...Worth the 30 minute wait at dining hours? No.

araknis Aug 5, 2009 8:54 pm

My thoughts exactly! I hate reading reviews that rant and rave about this place. Definitely over priced for what it is..

Originally Posted by Motion122 (Post 12181450)
Tried the Burger Joint...For those from the West coast, the burger reminded me of In-N-Out's burger, almost identicle is taste, but at two to three times the cost. Fries are the usual frozen variety...dry. Burger is nice...Worth the 30 minute wait at dining hours? No.

ACfly Aug 6, 2009 4:02 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13216/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

Can anyone else confirm whether internet access is free?

KENNECTED Aug 6, 2009 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ACfly (Post 12186422)
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry: Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13216/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

I don't see it on this list, but the list might need updating.
List of *wood Properties providing FREE Internet (Master List)

Starwood Lurker Aug 6, 2009 5:07 pm

Internal data suggests that it is not.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

wajiheffendi Aug 6, 2009 6:42 pm

Confirmed. I stayed there over the 4th of july weekend. Internet access is not free. I don't remember what they charged for internet access; i was on vacation so i left the laptop at home and depended on my iphone for all of my internet needs.

I had reserved two rooms on a combination of points and the free weekend nights. Both rooms got upgraded for the entire 3 night stay. The rooms are a nice size, but the furniture is a little bit dated and cheap looking. The suites do have a fold out couch which is very helpful with our daughter. The suite was the largest suite that i've ever gotten in NYC. There were only two pain points:

- At check-in I had to fill out this form with the names of the room occupants. Since I had different reservations for each night, they made me fill out multiple forms. It was a pain in the ... since we arrived at the hotel around 1am with 2 tired, cranky kids (a toddler and an infant). I've never had to fill out a form like this in the US. Not sure why it was even necessary to fill out.

- The doormen and bellmen were very unhelpful the entire time. they didn't even help us get taxis or load out our stuff into taxis -- we were traveling with two kids and two strollers, so we would have appreciated the help.

Besides those two minor annoyances, the trip was great. i complained to the manager and she compensated me with some starwood points.

all in all, i highly recommend this property. great location, great rooms for NYC.

Thanks,
-Wajih

indo79 Aug 20, 2009 9:11 am

Will be staying here this weekend on the free night promo, received email from them regarding my stay and on the right side was an offer to upgrade to Park View for $49 or Junior Suite for $99. I am only a Preferred Plus but will pass on the offer.

NJUPINTHEAIR Aug 20, 2009 3:46 pm

Anyone know what the Platinum amenity is at this hotel?

runningshoes Aug 20, 2009 4:07 pm

As pointed out by others it's not free, but based on my last stay in late July, the front desk was providing complimentary 24 hour pass codes to Plats who asked (myself included).

Also agree about the burger joint - 5 guys or in-n-out is just as good. All in all this is a great hotel with awesome views and a great location, service is usually pretty good, and on weekends plats are usually good for junior suite upgrades.