Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Old Mar 30, 09, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
+2 for Norma's. Portions are HUGE, can easily share.

Burger Joint - a bit overrated and pricey but if you want to see a bunch of celebrity autographs eat there.
Old Mar 31, 09, 4:27 pm
Community Director

I was very happy with my stay here. The location works for me. I can walk to restaurants, to shops, to the theatre district. I like staying in a quieter area than the Times Square neighborhood. Subway access is excellent.

I was checked in by Paul at the front desk, who had a great attitude about platinums. As others have reported, hotel policy is to do its best to put folks in a junior suite. In many hotels, these junior suites would be called a suite. We had a living area with a small table with 2 seats, as well as a sofa and desk table at the window. We had the swivel entertainment area which served as a visual barrier between the two rooms. The bathroom was accessed from the living room. It had a large walk in shower.

Our room was xx04. We saw a friend's xx04 room. While it also was a suite, it was a different configuration. Looking at the floor map, it appeared to me that there were a number of suites on our floor. Thus, this hotel should be very good for platinums.

The hotel has a computer in a room behind the front desk where you can print boarding cards. Ask, and you will be given access.

We were allowed to take a bottle of water from the room minibar. Otherwise, there was no water in the room. Further, they have no evening turndown service.

We were very happy with our stay.
Old Mar 31, 09, 6:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; UA 1K
thanks SD1K! did your room have a park view vs. city view?
Old Mar 31, 09, 6:09 pm
Community Director

I had a city view room.
Old Mar 31, 09, 7:09 pm
Suspended

FYI: Seppis no longer participates on IDINE as of 4/1/09.
Old May 3, 09, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Different than last-

As a P knew we were upgraded before arriving. Got a junior suite again little smaller than last.

The ventilation in the bathroom is awful, the mattress on the bed is dated and the lack of sprinklers in the room makes you wonder how old this place is. Still a nice SPG spot for NY.

We ate at Norma's. $66 plus tip for two. The food was pretty decent. Can not say it is the best we ever had. The lack of ventilation made it uncomfortable for everyone. It was the one solid comment from the tables around us.

Picked up a sandwich from the Carnegie Deli for dinner yesterday and then Cosi after the show this evening.

Yesterday went to the theatre and picked up two nice tickets for the afternoon performance of Wicked today. We loved it.

Tomorrow the Menchanko Tei will re-open near the Hotel. This should be a branch like the one in Honolulu near the Sheraton Waikiki. Will give it a try before flying out. Regards from NY.
Old May 7, 09, 8:58 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I am at LPM tonight after making a reservation just this morning.

I had to wait a few minutes to check-in, but once the clerk noted my creds, he was effusive with welcomes for a SPG Plat guest. He was saying what an influx they've gotten since they started participating, and asking me about my travel frequency to NYC. I noted that I come here often, but the LPM was on the do-not-stay list until they changed policy. He noted that this seemed to be the case for many. He explicitly said they wanted to impress me to earn repeat visits. He also discussed the free weekend nights promo to ensure I was familiar with it. He had a suite upgrade ready for me (the junior suite that others have received, with the swiveling tv). It is fine - not outstanding but I am satisfied. (note I had the same room type a few years ago when I didn't realize the non-participation, and hadn't stayed here since.) Oh, my rate is $275 - all of NYC seems significantly lower than the norm.

Waiting for me in the room was a notecard personalized to me, saying among other things "You no longer have to choose between us $ SPG. We're glad to have you back!" Alongside this was a complimentary liquor mini, shot glass and jar of cashews. Classy move!

LPM is definitely on my priority list for NYC stays - and very convenient to my NYC office too.
Old May 8, 09, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
We had a couple issues after my post-

Engineering in bathroom. I will leave that to your imagination.
Given late check-out then called by the front desk a little after noon and asked what our stay "plans" were.
Item on the bill which needed to be adjusted off which appeared after we were back in the office.

I hope the amenities will continue as noted in the last post. This was not the case this past weekend for us.

I did pick up two burgers from the Joint. It was a long wait. Told we could call down from the room with an order then pick-up. Also told many offices around the area do the same thing. The burger was tasty and the fries ok. The line was bothered when a group of women came in and took two tables in the back. The manager immediately went over to welcome them and take their order. That put six or eight burgers ahead of everyone along with brownies. (They were not models.)

All being said the LPM is a new home in NYC. Not esp. home like the old Sheraton Russell but it will do. The cheap rates at the Sheratons and the current promotion however tempt me to mattress run hotels when in NYC. Oh. And mattress being said. Those at the LPM are very very very bad. Not comfortable. We both woke every morning with a back ache.
Old May 9, 09, 6:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just completed a two-night stay here. First time at the property for me. Reception was warm, friendly, and very easy. Upgraded to a junior suite which was just perfect for my needs. I agree with RTW that the mattress was uncomfortable. The room, in some ways, felt a bit hostel-ish with the style of furnishings, but it wasn't a bad thing.

Service in the hotel was top-notch, but prices were ridiculous. $27 for cleaning a shirt, plus taxes and fees; $31 for a sundae. A good sundae, nonetheless - but $27 - sheesh!

I requested and was granted a 4PM checkout without so much as a blink.

The real win for me with this hotel's joining SPG is that it's right across the street from my NY office. And, it's on our company's preferred and negotiated properties list.

I didn't get to the gym this time, but can't wait for the next visit. Folks in my NY office rave about that gym.
Old May 9, 09, 7:36 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
This is amazing.

I was trying to redeem my plat gift and called the SPG line to ask which hotels in NYC are cat 5. She told me the Sheraton NY Towers, Sheraton Manhattan, Chelsea 4 Points and W (on Lexington). I'm glad I checked this board because I hadn't been aware that the LPM is cat 5, let alone was even an option. I spent so many years in NYC in the 2000-2006 time frame, that I just got accustomed to the choices and forgot totally that LM joined the program a while back.

So, reading through this thread I don't think I found ONE consistent negative theme. And I don't think I read about any platinum *not* getting a junior suite upgrade. I'm going to be there for a single Saturday night in mid June on my plat gift award night. Looking very forward to it!

One comment about those who aren't seeing/didn't see their reservation on spg.com on the day of arrival...This seems to be a problem with the web site and/or rez system flagging your reservation as a 'past stay' on the day of arrival. If you click the 'past stays' tab in your reservations, you'll see it.....

I raised this issue in a thread of its own a few weeks ago. Haven't checked lately to see if it's been fixed, though....
Old May 14, 09, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Does anyone here know the difference between a regular Junior Suite vs a Tower Junior Suite?

Is it just that tower junior suites are on higher floors?
Old May 14, 09, 5:39 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
Does anyone here know the difference between a regular Junior Suite vs a Tower Junior Suite?

Is it just that tower junior suites are on higher floors?
Bliss -- that's my understanding from my last stay there. I was UGd to a Tower Junior Suite (I was on the floor just below the top floor, where the pool is) that, AFAIK, was just like any other std jr suite on property. I just had a higher view.

I really liked this hotel. I've been in far nicer suites before, but on the whole, this property is very solid. All aspects of service were polished ... from the concierge to the housekeeping staff. The lobby bar was wonderfully exotic; we saw a number of celebs (and semi-celebs) enjoying cocktails there almost daily. The hotel was also very quiet - a must for me in NYC. A big difference from the madness at so many other NYC hotels.

The only part of this hotel that really needed attention was the top floor pool and sitting areas. They all looked like 1982. The lounge chairs were totally Holiday Inn and the windows around the pool area had fogged inside, making the wonderful views, well, unviewable. For a reasonable cost, the top floor amenities could and should be renovated to be in step with the rest of this hotel.
Old May 14, 09, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by sbtinme View Post
Bliss -- that's my understanding from my last stay there. I was UGd to a Tower Junior Suite (I was on the floor just below the top floor, where the pool is) that, AFAIK, was just like any other std jr suite on property. I just had a higher view.

I really liked this hotel. I've been in far nicer suites before, but on the whole, this property is very solid. All aspects of service were polished ... from the concierge to the housekeeping staff. The lobby bar was wonderfully exotic; we saw a number of celebs (and semi-celebs) enjoying cocktails there almost daily. The hotel was also very quiet - a must for me in NYC. A big difference from the madness at so many other NYC hotels.

The only part of this hotel that really needed attention was the top floor pool and sitting areas. They all looked like 1982. The lounge chairs were totally Holiday Inn and the windows around the pool area had fogged inside, making the wonderful views, well, unviewable. For a reasonable cost, the top floor amenities could and should be renovated to be in step with the rest of this hotel.
Thanks for the info, sbtinme! ^
Old May 14, 09, 8:18 pm

Parker Meridien bathroom amenities

Good Evening.
Does anyboby know if the Parker Meridien provides Hermes bathroom amenities?
Thanks.
Old May 14, 09, 10:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by courcoison View Post
Good Evening.
Does anyboby know if the Parker Meridien provides Hermes bathroom amenities?
They do not. They have some tiny little skinny bottles (they have this tall, skinny, narrow design theme going on all over the place) of something else -- I can't recall the name of it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: