Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Old Mar 28, 09, 5:35 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Le Parker Meridien New York 3/2009 nice

Preface: Doing the MR thing on UA for DEQM and using the last of the LEMFN promo nights.

Rate: LEMFN This property previously was not allowing use or was a cat. too high. So it was nice to use for this stay.

Transportation: Since there were three of us took a cab from JFK. $45 plus toll and tip.

Parking: n/a

Check-in: I was a little concerned with this. I took a look at my reservation before leaving and it was nolonger listd under spg.com. I called the P desk and they confirmed it still existed. I was pre-assigned a room on 9 but knew from the threads not to take a lower floor. That is 100% correct. Everything was great last evening but this morning something is going on at street level and it is noisey. And we are on a 30 plus floor. I asked the agent about a park view plus a higher floor. She ended up keeping us in a junior suite on a high floor with no park view. The hotel runs the length of the street so either you will get a park view or city view. If you are on a lower floor that will easily be a city view period as buildings front the hotel before seeing the park.

At least on this floor evens are city and odd is park. The corner odds look like the best rooms.

Perks: Upgrade as noted plus amenity card choice. No lounge here.

Lounge: None.

Room: You enter onto stone which quickly changes to carpet. The sizing of the room is two but there is no door between. To the right is a frig which is automatic and there is no space for anything. There is no coffee set-up or packets. FYI. On the wall you have a desk with overhead light and then small conference table. Then you have a entertainment set-up which is on a swivel stand. Tube Sony tv, vcr and dvd player. This is where you pass into the bedroom area. On the window area you have a sitting area with cushion coming around you have a sofa and then closet with a curtain. The sofa has a small table.

The bedroom is standard with a closet which has two doors. No sitting area by window on this side. Our friend is in xx08 which is also a junior suite but this one is layed out better and is bigger.

It has been reported that heating and air is difficult to control which is true. I have no idea who they even have a thermostat box. Two in our room. Because if you mess with it and nothing happens. The room is stuffy.

Bathroom: The floor is stone. Pretty standard with a single basin sink and walk in glass shower. No door and no bathtub. Amenities are from New York. Will try and get name. Aka that means wife packed them away already. Must have smelled decent then.

Internet: The hotel and service provider insist the room has wired access. I could only get on wireless. They have a weird system but maybe it is designed to prevent intrusion. Once you go via the steps you need to close the browser and re-open. Then I had a fresh screen. The rates are not listed unless you click another screen. I think the total is $16.20 all in per day. Hoping that is a 24 hour period.

Gym: Access to gravity gym was included and you will be given access card.

Spa: I believe they have one. Not been.

Eating venues: Not been.

Local markets and area: You are close to everything. Nice location.

Negatives: A few but none that would keep one from staying here.

Closing: I would return without question. Much better than the traditional Sheratons in NYC but it would be nice to have a Lounge. Easy walking to everything but noise is a issue which it always is in NY. Regards from NY.

Last edited by RTWSTARALLIANCE; Mar 28, 09 at 5:48 am
Old Mar 29, 09, 1:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Location, location, location

I spent the weekend at this hotel as well. It has been years, pre-Starwood's existence, since I'd stayed here.

I've been quite loyal to the W Court for many years, but after a difficult experience on my last stay, I decided to try this property on this visit. I liked it, for many of the reasons RTWSTARALLIANCE points out above. The W Court may have lost a loyal customer, as I've already booked my next stay back here at the PM.

I, too, was upgraded to a very nice junior suite. It's not as large as the suites at, say The Court, but it's a very efficient use of space and quite comfortable. I was told by the front desk agent that it's what I can expect at the hotel as a Platinum SPG member. He acknowledged that the hotel is trying hard to attract the SPG members, especially elite ones, that it spurned for so long by not participating in the program.

My biggest problem with the hotel was that I could not cool the room without opening both of the windows. I called engineering and they sent someone to my room to tell me that the a/c has not yet been turned on for the season. Such is life in a shoulder season, I guess, when the weather was warmer than average.

This doesn't have much to do with the hotel itself, but I'll share it anyway, perhaps to spare someone my experience. In the lobby, across from the front desk is a small shaving store, where a very nice man is providing shaves for gentlemen. I've always imagined that to be quite a luxury and as I had not yet shaved for the day, I decided I'd indulge myself and see what it was like.

It started off nice, with a couple moisturizers and a hot towel to loosen up my face, but that's where things took a turn for the worse. Shaving cream was applied and then I swear he book out a butter knife and proceeded to rake the whiskers off my face. It was absolutely brutal. He finished and I could finally relax -- but then he started a second round, for more of the same. He concluded with a type of astringent that I thought was melting my face, then applied an ice cold towel, which was the only thing that kept me from running out into the street and sticking my face in the storm drain.

Later, at dinner, I described the experience to my friends as what I would imagine it to feel like to be drug from the back of a taxi, my face skidding along on Sixth Ave. OK, maybe a slight exaggeration -- but it was truly miserable. As the day and night wore on, my face and neck broke out into a full-on rash. I'm still liberally applying hydrocortisone to keep it under control.
So, if you have a sensitive face, don't even consider giving in to the romantic notion of someone providing you with the 'shave of a lifetime' -- at least at the Parker Meridien.

Otherwise, this was a great hotel in an absolutely fabulous location in upper midtown -- close to shopping, theater, restaurants, the park -- everything but the financial district. I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 29, 09, 3:32 pm

Programs: AMEX MR, Diners USA,, Delta MM SM, USAir Plat, AAir Plat, HHonors, Marriott Platinum
Just completed my stay at the Le Meridien Parker in NYC... mixed reviews...

The staff was nice. The maid did a good job of screening me when I asked for access to my room without a key or ID.

Gravity is outstanding for a hotel gym.

Like most hotels in NYC, the rooms are smallish.

No coffee maker in the room... I did not ask for one, not sure if available.

It was in the 40's outside, but our heat stayed on so high as to make the room too hot. Had to keep the window partly open to adjust the temp.

TV's are dated. I didn't like the bed and linens nearly as much as the Westin DFW I stayed in after leaving NY.

We had two rooms - one Jr. suite connecting with a regular bedroom for 5 nights, all on SWood points.
Old Mar 29, 09, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
Crud.

Now I am really disappointed we did not meet. I had to see that. I thought the same thing. A shave via a straight razor. Never had one and guess maybe now never will.

We had an issue this morning. Stupid. Just be forewarned that the Hotel "may conduct a safety check on the elevator banks which lasts at least 15 minutes". We made it down the 30 plus floors but it meant taking the service elevator to 22 then transfer to a bank that was working down to the lobby. The front desk agent and security could care less.

We will be back. The burger joint and Norma's has our curiosity going. But glad to be home.
Old Mar 29, 09, 8:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Don't need to be curious about Norma's. The best brunch in NYC - period!
Old Mar 29, 09, 8:40 pm

And I too was there this weekend!

I too was at this same hotel this weekend, having checked out at 15:56 earlier this weekend.

I really wanted to use my LM free night certificate in Bora Bora or some other more exotic locale, but just ran out of time as the certificate expires end of March.

I had very similar experiences to the OP, and was in a Junior Suite on a high floor.

I too checked my reservations at SPG.com prior to arriving at the hotel and could not find it on line. In fact the Aloft Minneapolis showed up as my next stay, even though it was the third stay coming up. But entering the hotel's confirmation number enabled me to see that I had been pre upgraded to a Junior Suite, City View, which the front desk clerk assured me that we would like. We did, even though I would much prefer a park view. So it is a trade off between room space and view.

Fortunately, our city view was tall enough to clear the roof line of the tall building across the street and one could see the Sheraton Towers, Rhiga Royal, Hilton and City Spire (apt), GM Building and numerous other Manhattan buildings.

One slight correction to the OP: the hotel runs the width of the street between 56 & 57 Street, and does not run the length of the street. In fact, technically a portion of the lobby is supposed to be considered Public Space in exchange for being allowed to construct a taller building height. Where the lobby bar is today, this was originally a public arcade or mid block passage way open to the public. I'm not sure how the hotel was able to "take back" this public space, but they have. Examples abound in NYC where developers put in a public plaza (in name only) then usurp it for private purposes.

The rooftop pool provides views in 3 directions with an outdoor balcony.

In terms of decor, this is akin to some hotels I've stayed at in Japan and almost as space efficient as the Sheraton Park Tower in Knightsbridge.

Perhaps the OP and the 2nd poster was in a floor above or below me? Earlier around 12:28 Sunday I saw someone in the barber shop being shaved; perhaps it was AZ...?

I'm not clear as to whether the OP prefers the XX08 Junior Suite or the OP's Junior Suite?

In reply, the toiletries in use are Peter Thomas Roth (sounds like a law firm).

Not all floors have ice machines and as noted, there are no in-room coffee machines. Also, unlike the Grand Hyatt next to Grand Central, the hotel does not provide free Sunday newspapers--even upon request. Not good.

For those who enjoy Thai food, Topaz two doors down from the hotel is a good Thai food place. As it is often crowded, we enjoyed the food in our Junior Suite.

Park Cafe at 861 7 Avenue is a solid New York type diner for breakfast where when you order "Whiskey down" the staff knows what to bring you.

Sometime I'll have to try the French restaurant connected to the hotel where a $25 all inclusive Sunday Brunch with unlimited chocolate desert bar and live Jazz music is available. But my friend (another FT SPG Plat) wanted to eat at the Park Cafe.

This is a good New York hotel choice.

Last edited by Globehopper; Mar 29, 09 at 8:53 pm
Old Mar 29, 09, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Funny, I almost stayed here this weekend as well. Glad I didnt because it seems like there was some stiff competition for upgrades.
Old Mar 30, 09, 7:30 am

And I know a couple other FTers who are also SPG Ps have not chimed in on the thread. They at least looking at the floor map seem to have lots of those junior suites.
Old Mar 30, 09, 1:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; UA 1K
Oooh, good to hear it seems like a nice place to stay. I'll be staying there this weekend... hope I get a somewhat nice room too. Is anyone else going to be there this weekend? I have an extra ticket to the NY Philharmonic's Saturday matinee if anyone's interested
Old Mar 30, 09, 2:02 pm

Could some one chime in one the size and layout of the Junior Suite. We'll be there in a number of weeks for our free Platinum night. Could not tell from the photos if the Junior Suite is two rooms or not. Looks like it might be separated by a partial wall with the TV but hard to see on line.

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 09, 2:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by stevens397 View Post
Could some one chime in one the size and layout of the Junior Suite. We'll be there in a number of weeks for our free Platinum night. Could not tell from the photos if the Junior Suite is two rooms or not. Looks like it might be separated by a partial wall with the TV but hard to see on line.
It's roughly the size of two standard, smallish NYC hotel rooms. The one I had was not physically or visually divided with a door or curtain. In the center, where you cross from one space to the next, the plasma TV is mounted on the wall with a swinging arm that allows you to turn it to face toward the living room, or the bedroom.
Old Mar 30, 09, 2:48 pm

AZ is spot on. But in our junior suite we had a half circle entertainment center which contained the tv, dvd/cd and vcr palyers. Tube tv. The unit would swivel. It was easy to work at the desk without disturbing my wife who was sleeping. If someone needed to they could sleep on the sofa and maybe a child on the seat below the window. That would be the max. The bed was not what I would consider a king size. More like queen.
Old Mar 30, 09, 4:45 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. My wife, God bless her, can sleep forever while 7:30 is a miracle for me. I was hoping I would be able to go to the seating area, turn on a light and read without bothering her.

We'll see. Maybe I'll actually sleep!
Old Mar 30, 09, 4:52 pm

Floorplans on line!

Originally Posted by stevens397 View Post

Thanks.
View the floorplans for the Junior Suite at:

www.parkermeridien.com/rooms_suites.php

According to the plan, it is ~473 sq ft.

There appear to be rooms with the swivel circular metal entertainment unit, and ones with a plasma TV on swing arm. While I normally prefer the latter technology over the clunky CRT type TV, in this case the metal entertainment unit actually helps to divide the two rooms nicely!

I now see that I should have asked for a Central Park Suite or a CP Junior Suite!
Old Mar 30, 09, 7:09 pm

Gee - what's wrong with the Presidential Suite!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: