Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Considering booking the incoming family at LPM for a weekend in Dec, and upgrading to a Jr Suite, but after reading some of the reviews, reconsidering the booking for W US instead.

Any thoughts or comments -- as it is 2 adults and 2 children, 2 beds was the only requirement (hence the Jr Suite which has a pullout)?
but now considering the issue of bed comfort.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by neuron
Considering booking the incoming family at LPM for a weekend in Dec, and upgrading to a Jr Suite, but after reading some of the reviews, reconsidering the booking for W US instead.

Any thoughts or comments -- as it is 2 adults and 2 children, 2 beds was the only requirement (hence the Jr Suite which has a pullout)?
If you are expecting the comfort of a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed or a Westin Heavenly Bed, then the beds at the Le Parker Meridien will be a disappointment.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gleff
You're up in your room. Call concierge. Have them connect you to Burger Joint. Place order on phone. Wait 10 minutes. Go downstairs, walk past the entire line right up to the front, stand beside the first person in line. Tell the cashier you have a pickup order. They'll get you your food while you pay and everyone else waits.
Will be staying at the hotel soon.

Can I do this "trick" and have the bill charged to the room to get points?

Alternatively, if there is no line, can I dine there and then charge the bill to the room to get points?

Thanks,

NJ
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by neuron

W US blows this property away, we are a family of 4 and have stayed at both. LM rooms were too basic and needed better cleaning. Weak bathrooms. W plat recognition is good, I believe most rooms have iPod docks, more bells and whistles over all. Unless you are we'd to being close to Central Park, stay at the W US. Plenty of good burgers all over manhattan.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The Mrs and I stayed at LPM a year ago and thought it would be good for a family of four. Whilst the room wasn't cutting edge modern it was in good repair and the bed was comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as a Sheraton/Westin/W bed but still very comfortable.

The only real issue I had with the property was the lack of normal hotel facilities, the bar was about the size of a large cupboard and consequently got very busy with the smallest number of occupants. I also did not know that I had to make an advance reservation for breakfast. I get that Norma's is a destination in itself but surely all the more reason to tell guests in advance that they should perhaps make a reservation for breakfast.

We are trying the W US on our next visit over the thanksgiving weekend, but I would be happy to return to the Meridien especially now that we are aware of the 2 issues above. Are there any good bars in close proximity to LPM?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The Mrs and I stayed at LPM a year ago and thought it would be good for a family of four. Whilst the room wasn't cutting edge modern it was in good repair and the bed was comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as a Sheraton/Westin/W bed but still very comfortable.

The only real issue I had with the property was the lack of normal hotel facilities, the bar was about the size of a large cupboard and consequently got very busy with the smallest number of occupants. I also did not know that I had to make an advance reservation for breakfast. I get that Norma's is a destination in itself but surely all the more reason to tell guests in advance that they should perhaps make a reservation for breakfast.

We are trying the W US on our next visit over the thanksgiving weekend, but I would be happy to return to the Meridien especially now that we are aware of the 2 issues above. Are there any good bars in close proximity to LPM?
Much better bar options around Union Square, including at the W itself. LM in a sleepy neighborhood of midtown. Busy during day, but too quiet at night. The only reason I ever stay here is if I'm trying to spend a free night (W US is Cat 6, so typically excluded) or if I want to run in the park the next morning. On weekends, outdoor food market at W US also a plus, at least for those living close by (40 miles away, in my case).
Old Nov 11, 2010, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Much better bar options around Union Square, including at the W itself. LM in a sleepy neighborhood of midtown. Busy during day, but too quiet at night. The only reason I ever stay here is if I'm trying to spend a free night (W US is Cat 6, so typically excluded) or if I want to run in the park the next morning. On weekends, outdoor food market at W US also a plus, at least for those living close by (40 miles away, in my case).
I don't disagree with any of that and appreciate the US neighbourhood is much better for drinking and dining options (hence my upcoming stay there), but I can see that if I preferred to stay further up town (e.g. a shopping trip) the LPM is a good option.

Rates at the LPM can be quite attractive and Plat treatment was pretty good. On the other hand I am forming the view that the potential for upgrades at the W US is likely to be "limited". I guess I will be able to form a proper comparison at the end of the month, I do like the Union Square area though.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
LM in a sleepy neighborhood of midtown. Busy during day, but too quiet at night.
Of course, Carnegie Hall is just steps away down 57th street.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Will be staying at the hotel soon.

Can I do this "trick" and have the bill charged to the room to get points?

Alternatively, if there is no line, can I dine there and then charge the bill to the room to get points?

Thanks,

NJ
IIRC I was able to charge it to the room, but I doubt if we get points for 3rd party dining. I remember the charge because I tried to use a CC, and they don't take them, but they did offer to do the room charge. Hopefully I'm remember this correctly. And yes, I did call down and pre-order and bypassed the line.

-David
Old Nov 11, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat Ambassador Program
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
IIRC I was able to charge it to the room, but I doubt if we get points for 3rd party dining. I remember the charge because I tried to use a CC, and they don't take them, but they did offer to do the room charge. Hopefully I'm remember this correctly. And yes, I did call down and pre-order and bypassed the line.

-David
I thought the burger joint was a separate entity from Westin... did you just ask the cashier to charge it to your room?

BTW, preference: Shake Shack or Burger Joint??

If you use your spg amex card on a room charge and if you have spg plat, you get extra points on top of the regular pts u get for the burger,
Old Nov 11, 2010, 4:06 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Burger Joint can charge to the room.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LIH Prem

-David
Thanks, David! But, this isn't a 3rd party dining place because it is in the hotel and listed on it's website, right?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andymo99
Burger Joint can charge to the room.
Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Thanks, David! But, this isn't a 3rd party dining place because it is in the hotel and listed on it's website, right?
I just don't remember if I got points for it or not. I'm guessing "no".

It is physically in the hotel, but it's not managed by the hotel, etc. That's what I'm thinking. We don't get points for parking either. Plus it doesn't seem like the kind of place that needs to drive SPG loyalty to it. I could easily be wrong.

When I tried to charge it to the CC, she noticed my long room key and said she could charge it to the room.

So are you going to pass on Burger Joint if you don't get points for it?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 11, 2010 at 6:31 pm
Old Nov 12, 2010, 2:45 am

Programs: spg starwood -platinum, Hyatt Diamond
"W US blows this property away, we are a family of 4 and have stayed at both. LM rooms were too basic and needed better cleaning. Weak bathrooms. W plat recognition is good, I believe most rooms have iPod docks, more bells and whistles over all. Unless you are we'd to being close to Central Park, stay at the W US. Plenty of good burgers all over manhattan."

W Times Square - a fabulous property. Management really cares about their guests over there.

Sheraton Times Square - a nice property. Management really cares about their guests over there.

Manhattan - a nice property. Management really cares about their guests over there.

W Lexington - a nice property. Management really cares about their guests over there.

Westin Times Square -a very nice property. Management really cares about their guests over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.