Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by rmtrack
You are a Plat, right? Is this a new policy? Every time I've been there as a Plat the health club access is complimentary.
Wow -- didn't even think to ask. Maybe I should ask for a refund of my $10. I just went down to the club and charged to the room, and of course in the club, they didn't know I was Plat.

Last edited by 60614; Apr 8, 2010 at 2:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: Starwood
Thumbs down Disappointing Stay Easter weekend

I've stayed in NYC Starwood hotels many times and during crowded peak seasons, but I've never had such disappointing service -- reservation mix-up, room not ready at 5pm, someone walking into our room (while we were in it) with a key thinking thinking they were checking into THEIR room, and frustrating long waits for check-in, elevators, getting someone on the phone, waiting for the car. Beds were not as comfortable as the Westin and W hotels.

On a more positive note, as a platinum member we got a 4pm check out and free wireless internet. Our junior suite was nice, and our daughter said the fold-out couch was comfortable. Location is nice, too, near Central Park and 5th Ave shopping.

Burgers at the Burger Joint were great, too.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Had another great stay at this property last Monday.

Check-in: swift and efficient. I was automatically recognized as Platinum and an upgrade was promptly offered. They don't have a separate queue for Gold/Plats but at the time I checked-in, it wasn't an issue as there were only 2 other guests checking-in and there were 3 agents. All in all, I was treated very well -- "welcome back".

Room: spacious and large. A nice sitting area separated from the bedroom. A nice park view as well.

Check-out: again no issues -- quick and efficient. There was a little bit of a line-up but it did not last long.

My only complaint would be that my 500-Platinum Thank You amenity points did not post so I had to follow-up. They still haven't posted but perhaps they will do so after the Saturday sweep.

Conclusion: the Parker Meridien NYC is quickly becoming my favorite Starwood property in NY. I'm torn between the Parker Meridien and the Westin NYC but prefer the Parker Meridien's location as I'm not in NYC for Broadway. The W Times Square is also a great property but I sometimes find it too trendy.
Old May 1, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Another try

I'm checking in tomorrow for a week-long stay. Still a Plat, and am using a premium (14500 vs 12000) award that books into an upgraded room. The big question is, will I get upgraded beyond the type I already bought up into, or not? I'm of course hoping I will, but wondered if anyone had any ideas.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL PM
I've stayed here twice in the past week and once before that. Each time I've been upgraded to a junior suite. They've all been great stays.

Had some difficulties getting the wired connection working as the promo code they give you that's printed on the hotel room key sleeve is for wireless only. A quick call to the tech support fixed that.

Love Norma's. Also Burger Joint is great.

Protip: as gleff said earlier, definitely call ahead and skip the Burger Joint line. You might get some nasty stares, but it's worth it! The first time I called an order in I waited in line with everyone else. The cashier told me that next time all I have to do is just walk in and stand to the side of the cashier (where the beer is). Rather than calling the concierge, I just call the place directly. 212-708-7414
Old May 17, 2010, 4:21 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've been wanting to try this property, but for whatever reason they NEVER seem to have our corporate rate (large company) available anymore. Has anyone had similar experience?

It used to be in the mid-200's, so I could see why they'd want to block us but it's ALWAYS unavailable now. Seems odd.
Old May 23, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K
I've stayed twice at the Parker Meridien on award stays. I've been upgraded to the Junior Suite one of those two times (they had no availability the second time, but the front desk agent was somewhat sketchy about it - he said he would check to see availability and instead of looking at this computer screen, he went into the back room and came out 5 seconds later and said "no.")

The burger joint is convenient, and one of the cheapest "hotel restaurants" I have ever been to. The only downside is that they are rather independently run and cash-only so I cannot get points for eating there.

The gym is nice and free for Platinum members, but guests will have to pay $10/visit. The large free-weights section of the gym is a major reason I choose to stay at this hotel.

The staff varies in "niceness." Both times, I was checked-in by the same person. I believe his name was Brian(?). Both times, he looked at my billing address and told me the same story about one of his family members being married to a family member of the mayor of the city I live in. Nice guy.

One thing that bothered me was the fee (~$8-10?) they wanted to charge for using some wine glasses. Every other decent hotel I have been to allows for complimentary use of wine glasses. I think this is a stingy policy that doesn't generate much income but does generate a lot of bad-will. In any case, I was able to BUY a pair of pretty wine glasses from a wine shop around the corner for $5.

They also have some very strict text regarding minibar disputes, something along the lines of doing extensive research. A hotel has every right to do so, but why the attention-seeking, greedy message? New York City, we get it - you DESPISE tourists. But let's be honest now. You sure make a lot of money off of them, and in the end it is just a can of nuts.
Old May 23, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Just for those interested that have recently been asking questions on upgrades. The Junior Suite is the only room type at this property to which they are willing to upgrade Platinums. My experience has been that this is strictly maintained by the front desk and front office staff. Excluded as upgradable rooms are Tower Junior Suites (even though they're exactly the same floorplan, just on higher floors).
Old May 23, 2010, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by darrenhe
They also have some very strict text regarding minibar disputes, something along the lines of doing extensive research. A hotel has every right to do so, but why the attention-seeking, greedy message? New York City, we get it - you DESPISE tourists. But let's be honest now. You sure make a lot of money off of them, and in the end it is just a can of nuts.
There was no trouble or delay when I called down to get them to remove the $42 charge for the 200mL bottle of Grey Goose which I touched in our automated minibar. If I had touched everything in there, I wonder if they'd really have sent me a bill for it all without bothering to verify whether anything had actually been consumed.

$42 was the end of my extensive research.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Base on my recent stays here:

Free gym use if plat ^
Free internet if plat ^
Pool ^
Burger Joint ^
View of Central Park from room or roof top garden ^
Bed - one can get used to it but is nothing like a Sweet Sleeper or Heavenly bed
No premium channel (HBO, etc)
Some rooms smell of smoke
Can have issues with A/C
No water in room for Plats
No lounge

Last edited by hotelfanatic; May 25, 2010 at 10:00 pm
Old May 26, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just for the sake of it...

My wife and I will be using some free FWN awards Dec 10 & Dec 11. Already, the W TS and the Westin TS are sold out for Saturday night, but not Friday (?). However, the LPM has availability, and my wife indicated she would prefer that to the W Union Square.

After reading some reviews, I'm scratching my head... the going rate that weekend is $619+tax, which totals over $700. For one night. In a basic room. Wow.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DHAST
Just for the sake of it...

My wife and I will be using some free FWN awards Dec 10 & Dec 11. Already, the W TS and the Westin TS are sold out for Saturday night, but not Friday (?). However, the LPM has availability, and my wife indicated she would prefer that to the W Union Square.

After reading some reviews, I'm scratching my head... the going rate that weekend is $619+tax, which totals over $700. For one night. In a basic room. Wow.
Take the W Union Square. Le Parker Meridien is so underwhelming it's silly. You'll use your free nights, then pay $85 for breakfast for two. Great burger joint, but $40 for two people for a cheeseburger, fries, and shake?

The beds are just plain crappy. Uncomfortable. They're trying really hard to be hip and snappy, but it's fake; and trust me, the air of pretense in this place is the ONLY thing that could be called "cheap".

Try one of the W's on 39th, or Union Square; and keep checking back for TS availability, which WILL change.

Just do yourself a favor and avoid LPM. If you decide to go, please report back and tell me your thoughts.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
If I had touched everything in there, I wonder if they'd really have sent me a bill for it all without bothering to verify whether anything had actually been consumed.
Yes, they would have.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
I've been wanting to try this property, but for whatever reason they NEVER seem to have our corporate rate (large company) available anymore. Has anyone had similar experience?It used to be in the mid-200's, so I could see why they'd want to block us but it's ALWAYS unavailable now. Seems odd.
I'm sort of cornered into using this hotel because of a corporate arrangement. And, it's right across the street from where I work in the city. Still...ick. Anyway, our rate is in the 2's, and I've been able to confirm it multiple times a month all year long. If you feel you must try it, keep trying back. It will become available.
Old May 26, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by shinbal

Try one of the W's on 39th, or Union Square; and keep checking back for TS availability, which WILL change.
Then you would be recomending at stay at the St Giles?

http://www.stgilesnewyork.com/default.aspx?pg=contact

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.