Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Le Parker Méridien, New York City [Master Thread] - LEAVING JAN 4, 2018

Old Nov 23, 09, 10:26 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Having tried out 4 different hotels during my trip to NYC last week, I have to say that the free-stay (using Plat award) at the Le Parker Meridien was the best! We were upgraded to a Junior-Suite and had a throughly enjoyable stay. The decor of LPM is more modern compared to the 2 very old Sheratons in Times Square! The burger joint downstairs is also not too bad...although the queue can get very long. We choose to eat there around 8pm.
Old Nov 23, 09, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I stayed here this weekend (plat gift), got upgraded to Junior Suite. Much, much better than the two Sheratons, and I also liked it better than the Chelsea Four Points (my previous NYC favorite, mostly due to location). The stay was perfect, no complaints, they certainly beat my expectations. Plus Starbucks directly across the street.

If staying in NYC again, this will be my choice.
Old Nov 23, 09, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plt, Marriott Gold
Starbucks across the street is huge!
Old Nov 23, 09, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Here on a biz trip for a couple of nights. Client is paying, some kind of corporate rate at $289/night. Not my dime, and I am SPG dirt.

In one word: whatever.

Check-in was efficient but curt. Room is smallish, but OK, looking over some office building, nothing to write home about. Amenities OK, nothing special or memorable.

I know NY is in general a dump when it comes to mid-range hotels, so I figure for $289/night this is smack in the middle of acceptable. But it always torques me that for that rate I can stay in true 5* luxury in many, many places in Asia, including cities that put NY to shame on the cost of living.
Went to the Burger Joint for dinner, pretty good. Not mega-outstanding killer burger, but pretty good for a quick dinner. However, there is no way I would have figured out the place even existed if I hadn't read about it here in FT. Hidden behind some curtains, no sign or anything? What's the deal? Anyway, thanks FT!
Old Nov 23, 09, 5:13 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Hidden behind some curtains, no sign or anything?
Hotel couldn't buy out the lease, so now shrouds the place and avoids all publicity of it.

Apparently you can call from your room and place your order, then come and pick it up. If I crave a burger, that's what I will do next time.
Old Nov 23, 09, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by xman712 View Post
Starbucks across the street is huge!
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a spot in Manhattan that doesn't have a Starbucks across the street.
Old Nov 23, 09, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, DL Gld, SPG Plt
Spent over 40 nites as the Parker Meridien in 2009, much preferred to either Sheraton or the Westin Times Square. Received an upgrade to a Jr Suite everytime, usually was checking in on Sunday, never received a park view though.
Likes - Great location, much quieter than the Sheraton or Westin TS, size of Jr Suite, desk to work at, nice bathroom(exccept for 1 thing). Good room service, loved the milk shakes!!
Dislikes - Wirelss internet access was only in some rooms, and you needed a code, which may or may not be in the room, wired have to pay. Could never figure out how to turn on the shower without getting wet, poor design IMHO. Outrageouse storage charges to keep a bag for a week.

In short a nice hotel, would definitely return, much better than the comparable SPG alternatives.

Regards
Old Nov 23, 09, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Hotel couldn't buy out the lease, so now shrouds the place and avoids all publicity of it.
Interesting, do you have more context? I thought they were being Schragery or something, keeping it like some kind of an "insider's wink wink" it-place.

But even if it was out in the open, the place is a total dive, how could it be in keeping with the rest of the hotel's public areas with all that glass and marble?
Old Nov 24, 09, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
I have been staying at this hotel since 1986, long before it was affiliated with SPG. It has been consistently high quality and never disappointed. And the rates are often far more reasonable than competitors that pretend to be 4* quality. Ideal location, too, IMO.

Of course, I can't attest to whether they will kiss *** of every plat that walks through the door. But for everyone else I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Old Dec 6, 09, 6:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Great experience

I just spent 5 nights at the Parker Meridien New York and truly enjoyed it. The location is unbeatable.

As a Plat, I was upgraded to a junior suite which was spacious, well-appointed and very comfortable. The staff recognized me as a Plat and every courtesy was extended.

I am a regular visitor to NYC and have stayed at the W Times Square, the Westin Times Square and at both Sheratons near Times Square. After this stay, the Parker Meridien is now my favorite property in New York (with the Westin coming in a close second).
Old Dec 13, 09, 8:07 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA LTPlat; Marriott Titanium (LTP); Hilton Dia; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl View Post
I'm a very inactive member what concerns SPG Plat. I'm basically made to stay in SPG properties by my company - enough to maintain plat every year. However, I usually never go for SPG properties for private stays. I prefer IC hotels. To cut it short, we decided to go for the Parker Meridien in NY for a private stay. And I was puzzled to find this thread after our stay. Let me contribute my rather very bad experience that is puzzling similar to the OP's...

- Checked in, booked cheapest did not get any upgrade. Not that I would care. SPG is rather inconsistant anyway.
- Were educated about non-smoking policy, explicitly, when checking-in.
- Entered our room. Room was a non-smoking one, but it smelled badly after smoke. I don't really care; mrs. is, however, rather picky, and can't stand smoking hotel rooms.
- Changed room to a "real" non-smoking room. Mrs. Chinatrvl also can't stand mold in any kind. I don't really care that much. But, well, she thought mold in bathroom was enough to have a hissifit. Changed room a second time.
- In the thrid room. Minibar is not cooling at all. I.e. beer is warm, I rather don't have one.
- Upon checking out (I), the rather rude staff states there's gonna be a smoking charge of 300 USD because smoke was in our first room. Well, no, she even realizes that we have not been in the first room long enough to smoke it up and also complained about the smoke so that we got another room.
- Upon checking out (II), the rather rude staff presents me a 60+$ bill of minibar charges. We have never taken anything from the minibar. I tell them that we did not use the minibar. I am sure that any proper hotel would, at this point, say "sorry Mr. Chinatrvl, it was our mistake, please accept our apologies". At Le Parker, however, it takes calling the Manager at Duty...
- ... who tells me that we would have had a plethora of drinks at our first room (that we refused because of the smoking odor) and we would have to pay for them.
- I have to argue with her for a long time in order to get drinks off my bill at a room that I have never set a foot in (well, not longer than 10 seconds).
- Design in any of the three rooms feels like in some standarized Novotel. Unexpiring. I expected 5* standard by Le Meridien. But this was hardly 4*, by hardware only a 3*....

- Upshot: Was very disappoitning
* Given a room full of smoke
* Mold in the second room (to an extent that it was noteworthy, and I do not really complain very much, but let a very lot of things slip at hotels!!)
* Staff tried to screw us over the minibar and handled it very unprofession, imo.
* Given a room full of smoke after being explicitly educated about smoking charges
* Mold in our room that made us change the room again. No apology. Nothing.
* Blamed by manager on duty and made felt welcome just as some kind of unwelcome hustler when disputing minibar charges.
This is from another thread. I thought it should also belong here.
Old Dec 30, 09, 8:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Another great stay at LPM

Just returned from a two day stay in 2 rooms with the family, and apart from looong waits for an elevator in the tower bank, we loved the Parker!

The rooms were clean, mold-free and very comfortable.

This hotel has a perfect location for enjoying XMAS in NY. ^
Old Jan 28, 10, 9:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
I'm looking at staying at the Parker mid-February. Can anyone please enlighten me on the difference between Standard Rooms, Superior Rooms, and Tower Rooms (the guy I called from SPG on the phone couldn't really help me and neither does their site)? Is there really a big difference between City View and Park View rooms that it's worth paying more for Park View rooms?

TIA !
Old Jan 29, 10, 9:50 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I am at this property ~3 nights per week. I can choose just about any property (St. Regis would raise eyebrows), but have chosen this one for convenient location and consistent service.

Upgrade is to Junior Suite every time. Never anything better, so you miss out on the absurd upgrades you sometimes get elsewhere. But never worse either. And it is always confirmed in the res about a day before. My suite is always city view. I am seeing a Rooms Manager for coffee this week, will ask if there is ever a chance of park view.

Newspapers are left at the elevator area on each floor, or you can get from desk.

Bellstaff is reliable. I store luggage with them for the 4 nights per week I am not there.

Burger Joint is good and you can call ahead and charge to your room, and then go straight to the front of the queue. I do this once per week. On one occasion my burger (ordered medium rare) was raw. Order Medium instead. I haven't hit Norma's in years but will go this week.

I don't go to the gym (naughty me) but colleagues rate it well.

Location is fantastic for me based on proximity to my office, client office and subway. I think the location would satisfy many.

One complaint: I wish the power outlets by the desk were above the desk so I didn't have to crawl under each time. Ok, two complaints: I wish the keys were standard size.
Old Jan 29, 10, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Thanks, andymo99 for your detailed review. Sounds like the hotel performs really well for you if you choose to "live" there ~3 days a week...

I don't think I stand a chance at an upgrade to a higher level room being only an SPG Gold - Gold only upgrades to "enhanced" rooms subject to availability at time of check-in, so whatever enhanced means...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: