Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Compiled list of future W, aloft and element Starwood properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compiled list of future W, aloft and element Starwood properties

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:41 pm

W Hotel Downtown NYC

I have not found or heard of any official press release, but its been highly rumored since the beginning of this year that Joseph Moinian will be building a W Hotel & Residences at 123 Washington Street in downtown NYC.

I've visited this site in late Jan '07 and I can confirm that there are NYC Building Permits recieved within the first week of Jan '07 to build a Hotel Tower, the land is cleared and pilings were being put into the ground. This location is approximatly one block south of Ground Zero and directly across the street from the rear entrance to the Marriot New York Financial Center.

These rumors have been brought up in the NY Post, New York Observer and I believe TheRealDeal.com, visiting www.MoinianGroup.com shows information on both the Hotel & Residences at that location, but doesnt say anything about affiliation with any brand, except in the "Moinian Brochure Part 1" (http://www.moiniangroup.com/download...044-Res7.1.pdf) on the page for 123 washington street, it does say "This soaring 53 story buidling will be a world class W Hotel"
Other links on the Moinian Group Website:
(http://www.moiniangroup.com/hotels/index_rho.php & http://www.moiniangroup.com/resident...washington.php)
Lastly, here is the article from the NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/01122007...lois_weiss.htm)

If this rumor is substantiated anytime soon - that would mean that NYC would have 6 W Hotels (as well as 1 in neighboring Hoboken) which would be 7 W Hotels in an area smaller than 4 square miles! I'm always amazed by the density that New York City can handle!

Last edited by Explorer5; Mar 18, 2007 at 8:03 pm Reason: added another link
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Rumor: aloft Harlem -- For now, I'd consider this to be only a rumor. And I have no idea what the actual name will be.

Source: http://www.nysun.com/article/50042?page_no=4
"Big hotel chains are now seizing on the boutique trend. Starwood Hotels & Resorts, which operates Sheraton Hotels, is now constructing a W in Lower Manhattan. Aloft, its select-service brand, will open in Harlem and downtown Brooklyn."

Location confirmation: aloft Washington DC. 200 rooms. On Half Street between N SE and M SE Streets. To open Q3 2009. Will be within a block of the new Washington Nationals baseball stadium.
http://www.jdland.com/dc/staddis.cfm?tab=no2 (with map and site plan info)

I'm not sure if this is the only aloft that is currently planned for Washington DC, and I wouldn't swear by this being the official name of this particular property. See also "aloft National Harbor" below for another DC-area aloft.

aloft hotels in India are expected to be announced in early April.

Rumor: aloft Houston.

aloft National Harbor, MD -- 184 rooms. This is currently in the listing as Oxon Hill, MD. Part of a new planned city on the SE edge of Washington, DC. Across the river from Alexandria, VA. The Westin National Harbor is also planned here with 195 rooms.

Confirmed location: aloft Jacksonville Airport, FL. 135 rooms. Opening May 2008 on Duval Rd.

Last edited by sc flier; Mar 21, 2007 at 11:20 am Reason: added Jacksonville details
Old Mar 21, 2007, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
Baltimore, Md., adaptive reuse of Recreation Pier in Fells Point, potentially 2008. Latest iteration of a previous plan, so still in flux, but sounds like an interesting site.
AFAIK, this appears to be on track still. This is unrelated to the other Baltimore-area alofts in the OP's list. I don't know an official name for this yet, but I would recommend listing it as "aloft Fells Point, MD."

Approximately 130 rooms. Opening 2008 or later.

"Novak said that in addition to the Chicago area, Starwood has granted [John] Buck [a local developer] rights to build alofts in four other regions: Ontario, Calif; suburbs of Nashville, Tenn., and Detroit; and part of San Francisco near AT&T Park, home of the Giants... Merdinger said the Chicago firm Guajardo REC Architects LLC will design the 505 N. State building."
This also is different from the Bay-area aloft SFO in Millbrae, CA. This one really would be in San Francisco.

Rumor: aloft Detroit, MI. Currently in planning and approval stages.

Last edited by sc flier; Mar 21, 2007 at 4:00 pm Reason: added Detroit info
Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:00 pm

aloft Sarasota - 140 rooms. North Palm Avenue, Sarasota, FL
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...NEWS/703240325

Rumor: An aloft has also been proposed for 950 Airport Circle at the Sarasota Airport.

aloft BWI - Linthicum Heights, MD, may be a more accurate location than Baltimore.

aloft Tempe - Confirmed location at Playa del Norte on the north side of Tempe Town Lake.

Last edited by sc flier; Mar 26, 2007 at 11:06 pm
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post W Hotels Puts the 'W' Back in Wall Street with W New York-Downtown Hotel & Residences

It's official:

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc.

W Hotels Puts the 'W' Back in Wall Street with W New York-Downtown Hotel & Residences
Tuesday March 27, 1:00 pm ET
W Hotels' Sixth Property in Manhattan Will Add Style and Substance to New York City's Most Important Revitalization

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. (NYSE:HOT - News) announces the continued expansion of W Hotels with an agreement with New York-based real estate developer Moinian Group to operate the W New York-Downtown Hotel & Residences, a new luxury property in downtown Manhattan, featuring 217 guest rooms and 222 residential units. Located at 123 Washington Street, just one block from the site of the new Freedom Tower, the W New York-Downtown Hotel & Residences will mark the W brand's arrival in New York City's recently revitalized downtown area. The newly constructed building is anticipated to open in 2008, with residential sales expected to begin in mid-2007.

The W New York-Downtown Hotel & Residences is poised to serve the growing number of visitors and residents in lower Manhattan as it continues to transform itself into a premier 21st century business district and a vibrant residential community. Lower Manhattan is now the fastest growing residential market in the city, dedicating resources to improving its waterfront spaces, parks, schools, and cultural institutions, fostering the development of a more pedestrian-friendly environment.

Press Release
Old Mar 28, 2007, 9:58 am

Post aloft Brings the New Twist in Travel to Bay Harbor Islands, Florida

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

aloft Brings the New Twist in Travel to Bay Harbor Islands, Florida
Wednesday March 28, 10:05 am ET
aloft Bay Harbor Scheduled to Break Ground in 2007

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. & BAY HARBOR ISLAND, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--aloha! Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT - News) and its much-anticipated new lifestyle brand, aloft hotels - a vision of W Hotels - announced today it has signed a deal with a subsidiary of Martin W. Taplin & Associates, Inc. to develop an aloft hotel in Bay Harbor Islands, Florida.

aloft Bay Harbor, located at 1177 Kane Concourse, is just blocks from shopping mecca Bal Harbour Shops and offers a refreshing alternative to the current lodging options in Bay Harbor Islands. The 135-room hotel is part of a mixed-use project, featuring office and retail space, restaurants, and residential units. Construction is expected to begin in late 2007.

Press Release
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:11 am

This one's a very long way from opening, but it's a plan that I'm excited about. It's still in the planning stage, but this vote by town council was a very big step. Openings are targetted for around 2011 or 2012.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_5488713

"The Vail Town Council voted Tuesday night to move forward with a $620 million proposal to redevelop the Lionshead park garage.

The council will now start a 120-day negotiation with the developer, Dallas-based Open Hospitality Partners and Hillwood Capital.

Open Hospitality/Hillwood plan to build two hotels - a W Hotel and a St. Regis - condos, a conference center, retail and restaurants on the 6.3-acre site. It will also add more than 1,000 public parking space."

Rumor INVALIDATED: W Gurnee, IL -- This is located between Six Flags Great America and the Gurnee Mills mall and is to have an indoor waterpark associated with it. 1700 Nations Dr, Gurnee, IL. I'm not sure if this plan is still in the works. At one time, the target was to open this in summer 2007. Sounded like a strange match for a W, though. This has instead been identified to be Key Lime Cove.

Originally Posted by A320 EOW
aloft Bay Harbor, located at 1177 Kane Concourse, is just blocks from shopping mecca Bal Harbour Shops and offers a refreshing alternative to the current lodging options in Bay Harbor Islands. The 135-room hotel is part of a mixed-use project, featuring office and retail space, restaurants, and residential units. Construction is expected to begin in late 2007.
Dang! I've known about this one by name for a while, but I was never able to nail down which state it was in until now.

Last edited by sc flier; Mar 28, 2007 at 8:23 pm
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:51 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Gurnee? (What's next, Branson? Pigeon Forge? South of the Border?) Was able to identify the project as "Key Lime Cove," which is indeed under construction, but the hotel operator doesn't have any Starwoods in their portfolio. Very odd location and concept, and even less likely that Starwood would give a W contract to a newbie.

http://www.morrisseyhospitality.com/...n_development/

Last edited by paytonc; Mar 29, 2007 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:20 pm

Gurnee? Was able to identify the project as "Key Lime Cove," which is indeed under construction, but the hotel operator doesn't have any Starwoods in their portfolio. Very odd location and concept, and even less likely that Starwood would give a W contract to a newbie.

http://www.morrisseyhospitality.com/...n_development/
That sounds much more reasonable. I came across a report online that had called this "W Hotel Gurnee," and I was unsuccessful in finding the place that you found. I'll scratch this bad rumor from my last post. Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 7:18 am

W Nevis -- 150 rooms. Opens 2010. "Located in the Pinney's area which is in close proximity to the city center of Charlestown."

http://www.sknvibes.com/News/NewsDetails.cfm/2648

Also see thread "New Starwood on Nevis?"

Edited:
W Verbier Retreat, Switzerland -- Opening late 2009. "Located in the 'Medran' area of the ski town of Verbier, in the French-speaking part of Switzerland." "Located at the base of the mountain, W Verbier Retreat will offer ski-in, ski-out access to gondolas that take skiers directly to Verbier's ski runs."

Last edited by sc flier; Mar 29, 2007 at 10:28 am Reason: Added W Verbier Retreat
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:05 pm

Post W Verbier

To add to sc flier's post above:

W Hotels Heads for the Slopes of Verbier, Switzerland with the Announcement of Its First Ski Retreat
Thursday March 29, 12:12 pm ET
The World's Fastest Growing Luxury Hotel Brand Swishes into Switzerland's Most Cosmopolitan Skiing Destination Offering the Ultimate Apres-Ski Experience

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT - News) today announced the signing of a management agreement with Les Trois Rocs to open the W Verbier Retreat in the stylish ski resort town of Verbier, Switzerland. The 142-room W Verbier Retreat is slated to open in late 2009 and will be W's first ski Retreat and first hotel in Switzerland, further strengthening W's position as the fastest growing luxury hotel brand in the world.

The W Verbier Retreat will be the first internationally branded hotel in this premier ski town and is expected to become one of Verbier's leading apres-ski destinations offering panoramic views and unbeatable proximity to the slopes. Located at the base of the mountain, W Verbier Retreat will offer ski-in, ski-out access to gondolas that take skiers directly to Verbier's ski runs. The hotel will be part of a luxury mixed-use development project owned by Les Trois Rocs, which will also include two retail buildings, a restaurant and a night club.

Press Release
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
nvestor plans new hotel, addition near O’Hare

(Crain’s) — A little-known hotel investor plans to build a 320-room Element hotel, a new extended-stay brand launched by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc., on a property just east of O’Hare International Airport.

Chicago-based A&A Hospitality LLC has filed plans with the city of Chicago to redevelop an existing 122-room Wyndham Garden Inn at 8201 W. Higgins Road.

A&A wants to demolish part of the Wyndham to make room for the new 17-story Element hotel and also plans a nine-story addition to the existing hotel, a two-level building that abuts the Kennedy Expressway. The two hotels would have a total of 502 rooms.

Starwood unveiled its Element brand last September, saying it planned to build 500 hotels worldwide. A spokeswoman at the White Plains, N.Y.-based hotel company declines to discuss Starwood’s plans for the Chicago area.

“Chicago is definitely a market that we’re looking at but we don’t have any definitive deals in place,” she says.

A&A is one of several local developers with hotel projects in the works amid the strongest hotel market the area has seen since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Calls to A&A and the firm’s attorney were not returned.

A&A bought the hotel out of foreclosure for $10 million in 2003, according to property records. The property is encumbered by a $19-million loan from Elmhurst-based Suburban Bank & Trust.

The hotel project would include 342 parking spaces, 30,000 square feet of meeting and banquet space and 10,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, according to the zoning application filed with the city.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan
“Chicago is definitely a market that we’re looking at but we don’t have any definitive deals in place,” she says.
Since this is only an application at this point, this certainly goes into my rumor column. I'll add a related rumor that I've heard: aloft O'Hare.
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:21 am

YAY A LOFT!
That Is Exciting, I also am excited about W Doha and W Dubai Festival City, It better be nice looking because I don't want to fly out there just to stay in a Category 4 (Grin)
Old Apr 1, 2007, 9:23 am

How do you say Aloha in India?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.