Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Compiled list of future W, aloft and element Starwood properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compiled list of future W, aloft and element Starwood properties

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by YAM
I noticed that W Toronto is listed as a U.S. location - shouldn't Canada be listed as international?
Updated to keep everyone happy!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
W Vancouver - Vancouver, BC, Canada - current Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia

This is a done deal
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by Cascadia
W Vancouver - Vancouver, BC, Canada - current Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia
It might be more appropriate to say that this is the FORMER Crowne Plaza Hotel Georgia. It seems to have already been dropped from CP's website and closed its doors on Jan 2. This historic 1927 hotel's own site only says that it is currently under renovation. This interesting article about its place in the history of local race relations says that it will be "closed for a few years-worth of redecorating and redevelopment!"

This property has participated in Priceline and Hotwire in the past. Location is about 5 blocks from the Westin Grand Vancouver and the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre.

According to the Vancouver Sun, "The venerable civic landmark is part of a $350- to $400-million development that will see the hotel renovated and restored, and a new 48-storey condo/office tower built next door. If everything goes according to plan, it should reopen in time to serve tourists for the 2010 Olympics."

Cascadia, do you have a source to reference for your claim?

Originally Posted by christianj
Updated to keep everyone happy!
Wow! Now that's optimism at its finest!

Last edited by sc flier; Feb 15, 2007 at 6:24 am Reason: Added Vancouver Sun quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Hotel Georgia Vancouver was already listed in my OP under the "rumor" section! I had read this somewhere in the past but there was no definite confirmation to this. Cascadia if you have a definite source for you post...please let us know. I had also read somewhere else that it would stay independent after the renovation and try to compete with Hotel Opus Vancouver's premier boutique hotel.

Last edited by christianj; Feb 15, 2007 at 7:04 am
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Nashville downtown (riverfront at Shelby): aloft and Element (dev: Streuver Bros.)

Morrisville, N.C. (RDU Airport): aloft (dev: Winston Hotels)
Old Feb 21, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
Updated my OP with this new info on the W Hollywood, CA:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/hotel...on-hotel_x.htm

Atleast we have a little more info on the location, rooms and possible opening date with this article.
Images are available here (see pages 5 and 6):
http://www.legacypartners.com/iqimag...renderings.pdf

and here is the direct link to the residential component:
http://www.myhollywoodresidence.com/
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:58 am

aloft San Antonio
(I'm not certain of the name. I wonder if this might be one of two coming to San Antonio?)

http://www.alamocityhotels.com/
"ALoft Hotel by Starwood"
411 S. Flores Street
San Antonio, TX
Opening Summer 2008

(I guess this lowercase spelling of "aloft" is even confusing the property owners.)

aloft Harrisburg
From harrisburgnightlife.com:
"Harrisburg will be getting a new hotel in late 2008.

City council approved the design for the proposed Aloft hotel for 2nd and State Streets.

The downtown hotel will be a floor shorter than planned (14 floors down to 13), but will be built nonetheless.

The floor plans include a restaurant, two bars, three retail spaces and a rooftop condominium. Plans also call for alfresco dining along State Street in view of the Capitol dome."

elements:
Lexington, Mass. (early 2008)
Las Colinas (located at Addison-based Cross Development's Regent Cross retail development at the southwest corner of Interstate 635 and Belt Line Road.)

Some folks may be interested in this sketch of the 200-room aloft Beijing, Haidian. Looks similar to the design being used for Harrisburg.

Last edited by sc flier; Feb 26, 2007 at 8:04 am
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: AGR WOH
Chicago Tribune, 28 Feb:

OAK BROOK HOTEL: The John Buck Co. plans to start construction of an approximately $100 million Aloft hotel in Oak Brook [west suburbs of Chicago] this summer, said Susan Hammersley, a senior vice president for the Chicago-based developer. The six-story, 139-room hotel will have 80,000 square feet of retail, a restaurant and a health club.

The Aloft brand name was created for a national chain of hotels by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. of White Plains, N.Y. Buck is developing one of the hotels here and one in California in a joint venture with McMorgan & Co. of San Francisco, an affiliate of the New York Life Insurance Co.

and Denver Post, 25 Feb, details on "Aloft Arista" in the NW suburbs:

Centennial-based Stonebridge Cos. plans to build a 140-room Aloft hotel at Arista in Broomfield, a new development anchored by the $45 million Broomfield Event Center...

Aloft's room prices will range from roughly $105 to $149 a night, said Dimond...

"Aloft is really positioned to compete against a Hilton Garden Inn or Courtyard by Marriott-level hotel," [hotel consultant Robert Benton] said...

The official groundbreaking for Arista Place will take place Tuesday at 11 a.m. It is scheduled to be completed by spring 2008.

Last edited by paytonc; Mar 2, 2007 at 9:09 am
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post W Hotels Heads for the Heart of St. Petersburg, Russia

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

W Hotels Heads for the Heart of St. Petersburg Where Classical Art, History and Culture Meet a Vibrant Future
Monday March 5, 9:00 am ET

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In its continued demand to select only world class destinations, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT - News) today announced plans for a new W hotel in St. Petersburg, Russia. Scheduled to open in mid 2008, W St. Petersburg represents a rare development in the main historic area of this vibrant city. This is the first W to be announced in Eastern Europe and marks another important step in W Hotel's global expansion.

Release
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:28 am

W Milan - Dec 2008 - 76 rooms

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070307/20070307005664.html?.v=1

"W Milan will be located in the heart of the Brera district, a former artists' enclave and now one of Milan's most energetic cultural centers. Guests will enjoy close proximity to Milan's famed restaurants, art galleries, retail shops and cafes crowding the narrow pedestrian streets surrounding the hotel, which will occupy a converted mid-20th century building, notable for its iconic character."

"The hotel's 76 rooms will include eight W suites and one Extreme Wow Suite. W Milan will also feature a signature restaurant, a destination rooftop bar, the W Living Room, and a spa and fitness center. A highlight of the hotel's guest rooms will be W signature beds, featuring 350 thread-count Egyptian cotton sheets."

Also:
RUMOR: W San Juan

OT: Sheraton San Juan Convention Center. Groundbreaking was last summer. To open in 2009. 500 rooms. $175-million.

elements:
CONFIRMED: element Las Vegas - 2008 - 125 rooms. $19 million. Will be located at the southeast corner of the Beltway and Town Center Drive. (Could end up being named element Summerlin?)

Last edited by sc flier; Mar 7, 2007 at 9:02 am Reason: add W San Juan rumor
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sc flier
W Milan will be located in the heart of the Brera district, a former artists' enclave and now one of Milan's most energetic cultural centers.
List updated with this great news! I will be in Milan in May staying at the Park Hyatt. W will be competing with the PH and also the Bulgari which evidently is THE place to stay if your budget allows. Milan seems to have a lot of interesting modern/boutique type properties so this decision to build the W Milan makes sense.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
W Boston - Boston, MA - corner of Tremont & Stuart @ Wilburn Theatre - Spring 2009 - 235 rooms

Seems like they are going to take over the Radisson?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
List updated with this great news! I will be in Milan in May staying at the Park Hyatt. W will be competing with the PH and also the Bulgari which evidently is THE place to stay if your budget allows. Milan seems to have a lot of interesting modern/boutique type properties so this decision to build the W Milan makes sense.
Not sure the above is correct in terms of competing. Brera and Duomo are pretty far away from each other AND the Brera district stinks and have nothing going on or to do. PH is much better location. Bulgari is also very nice and Hyatt or SPG simply do not have what it takes to match Bulgari as a hotel, their business plan is completely different. Bulgari's location is exceptional as its the hotel/service.

I can not understand why the W will be in Brera... its a bad call for SPG. I for one think people will be greatly disappointed by this. IMO the best hotel in Milan is still the PdS (Principe di Savoia) in their renovated rooms, which are a GEM. Location is irrelevant as they have their "navetta" (limo) free for guests.

-Spent 20+ yrs living in Milano.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:17 pm
tyn

Originally Posted by psyflyer
Bulgari's location is exceptional as its the hotel/service.
Omg, do you have a screenshot of that?
I admit I've never stayed at the Bulgari as a hotel guest so I can't comment on that, but I'm Milanese and I get dragged on a regular basis to their bar by out of town colleagues wanting to be able to say they've been there and service is lousy, and when I say lousy I'm being very charitable Some people may get a kick out of it, but paying a bunch to be ignored and patronized is just not my thing

Maybe STW is being cleverer than you give them credit for.
PH? the location is too touristy *shudders thinking of the melee and riffraff and japanese camera-happy tour groups populating piazza del duomo and piazza scala*
Principe di Savoia? there are currently screaming headlines in the Milan papers about huge security issues in the area.
Brera may seem quite but has very nice shops and lots of top notch restaurants and bars, if you know where to look. It's more of a locals spot
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tyn
Omg, do you have a screenshot of that?
I admit I've never stayed at the Bulgari as a hotel guest so I can't comment on that, but I'm Milanese and I get dragged on a regular basis to their bar by out of town colleagues wanting to be able to say they've been there and service is lousy, and when I say lousy I'm being very charitable Some people may get a kick out of it, but paying a bunch to be ignored and patronized is just not my thing

Maybe STW is being cleverer than you give them credit for.
PH? the location is too touristy *shudders thinking of the melee and riffraff and japanese camera-happy tour groups populating piazza del duomo and piazza scala*
Principe di Savoia? there are currently screaming headlines in the Milan papers about huge security issues in the area.
Brera may seem quite but has very nice shops and lots of top notch restaurants and bars, if you know where to look. It's more of a locals spot
Im compelled to respond bcs I am a Milanese, and trust me when I tell you there are not many around anymore but plenty of people that say they are, if your Milanese de Milan ta se'.

Bulgari I have been once as when I go to Milano i tend to stay in my own residence . I had a wonderful weekend and the servie was top notch as it is @ the PdS. Security concerns? Not sure which Milano you are referring to but apart from Quarto Oggiaro, Stazione Centrale is the worst neighbourhood in Milano. Also, people that go to the PdS dont exactly take a walk to downtown as they shouldnt given proximity issues. However the details in the rooms is by far the best of any hotel in Milano and arguably the world.

PH touristy? Milano is a tourist trap as most of Italy in case you hadnt noticed...

Brera, I will not even comment as its a DUMP of a place and personally people of certain regard would never consider go bar-hopping in some of the spots you mention... want to talk about being safe at night? take a stroll around Brera at 2am... and report if you could. In any event its NOT a smart move for SPG as Brera is a communist ridden neighbourhood historically and will always be. Perhaps it suits you, but most Milanesi in high regard stay clear, me included. Ciao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.