opinions are needed for toronto area SPG

Old Apr 6, 08, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

opinions are needed for toronto area SPG

I plan to stay at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North Hotel & Suites next weekend, and notice that their club lounge is closed on Sat and Sun, seems no brekafast for a platium? any upgrade experience?

Stayed at 4 Pts YYZ Airport West, one of the worst SPG, worn room, no upgrade ( just a double bed room), no breakfast, seems a motel room

King Edward seems nice to a platium, but just stayed there on weekday last time, so don't know if lounge opens at weekends or not.

I am driving a rental car, so no matter Markham, Richmond Hill, Mississauga, Airport, lakeshore, oakville anywhere could be fine

Last edited by iwpingmu; Apr 6, 08 at 7:21 pm Reason: mis - spell
Old Apr 6, 08, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, PC Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Plat
The lounge at the King Edward is open on the weekend. Since it sounds like you are a Plat, that hotel is your best choice if you want a great suite upgrade and lounge benefits. Both the downtown Westin (harbour castle) and Sheraton are also good, although the Westin does not have a lounge. The Sheraton lounge benefits are quite good - on par with the best Sheraton has to offer in North America - but the King Edward is still better.

Outside of the downtown core, the Sheraton Parkway is fine but definitely no lounge benefits on the weekends. No big loss, since it is only average in any event. The Westin Prince does not have a lounge and many of the rooms are a little worn. Both the Sheraton and Westin at the ariport are decent hotels (Sheraton has a lounge but not the Westin) and you can usually grab the Westin for ~$100 on the weekend.

All things being equal, I would definitely stay at the King Edward unless I needed to be outside the downtown core and/or budget was a significant factor.

SG
Old Apr 6, 08, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Can't answer for the Lounge (although I would imagine it would be open on weekends), but the King Eddie is my SPG hotel of choice in Toronto. Even as a Gold, I've always been upgraded to an excellent room, usually a suite. So it would be worth calling them about the Lounge. The Westin on the lakefront is also pretty good. I've always found the Sheraton Centre less welcoming.
Old Apr 8, 08, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all

Will stay at Le Meridan King Edward instead since breakfast lounge is open even the weekend, and the location is better
Old Apr 8, 08, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The airport Sheraton is nice - the highest floor is the club floor (breakfast in the morning, print out your boarding pass), and I always request the runway facing rooms. Good bar downstairs as well... even as just a gold, I got the club floor and my parking comp'ed on my last stay there(not sure why); as always, YMMV.
Old Apr 8, 08, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

this time my stay is a weekend trip, most club lounges are closed at weekend, I doubt YYZ sheraton club is open during the weekend
Old Apr 8, 08, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Other Plat/royal club benefits at King Eddie include:

- Drinks & Snacks in evenings
- Free 3 hour use of boardroom (upon avail)
- Free downtown limo service in the mornings
Old Apr 9, 08, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I cancelled the stay at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North Hotel & Suites, instead, King Eddies again

Hopefully can get a little bit larger suite upgrade, (they have something called a suite with only 400 sq ft which is no difference than a standard room)
Old Apr 9, 08, 12:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy lifetime platinum elite
if you don't mind a four points, the 4 points Meadowvale is really nice. It's in Mississauga and they have a decent bar downstairs, pool, flat screen TV's, good upgrades to a suite with glass shower and electric fireplace.
Old Apr 9, 08, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

I don't mind 4-Pts, but this 4 Pts Meadowvale is cat 3 which requires 7K, same as YYZ Sheraton and Westin YYZ
for EDDIE , I will use 4K+US$60 options
Old Apr 9, 08, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by theplug View Post
if you don't mind a four points, the 4 points Meadowvale is really nice. It's in Mississauga and they have a decent bar downstairs, pool, flat screen TV's, good upgrades to a suite with glass shower and electric fireplace.
This newly renovated Four Points is probably my favorite four points in the land. Great rooms, great bar, and really friendly staff. If you dont need to be downtown, this is my pick for the YYZ area.
Old Apr 9, 08, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

I made a mistake to try 4 Pts YYZ Airport West a couple of weeks ago, since I go to YYZ every other weeks, I will definately try the 4 pts Meadowvale next time
Old Apr 9, 08, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Doesn't look like much from the outside (talked with the girl in the lounge who had worked there for 20 - 30 years since the hotel was first built and it has been through five name changes and a few different owners) but inside it is very modern, and the lounge had a great vibe and a large assortment of beers.

Although just taken with my phone, I have some photos online to give you a sense of the room!
Old Apr 9, 08, 9:52 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
I received some of the best upgrades I ever had at the Meridien when I was still a Gold. So as a Platinum you should have a great experience there.
Old Apr 10, 08, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by theplug View Post
Very nice indeed. My number one choice when staying in the West end of town.

In Richmond Hill I'm not a big fan of the Sheraton Parkway. I've been staying at the Hilton Garden Inn across the street instead. There's also a brand-new Homewood Suites close by that's awesome. Both are Hilton properties though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: