Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Satisfactorily resolved: accidentally booked - cancellation penalty

Satisfactorily resolved: accidentally booked - cancellation penalty

Old Mar 28, 08, 4:17 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
a way I've used when making this mistake is to call to move the reservation out to a day beyond the CX period which is seldom a hassle; then do an online cx
Very clever :-:. I like that one.
Old Mar 28, 08, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by dmk11 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys (and gals)!

I did call the hotel directly this morning and they were really nice and said that no charges has been made - it would've been only charge when I arrive anyways, she said (which is contrary to what the website says when I cancelled).

But to clear things up, I did NOT book the "Internet Only Rates - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed" rate. That was the one thing I did check before I submitted. Right after I submitted, I cancelled the reservation online. THEN I called the 888#. First I asked her if I could get out of the cancellation penalty because it was an accident, she said no. I asked if I could move the reservation to the date I actually wanted, and she proceeded to try to book me a NEW reservation. When I was confused when she asked whether I want to use points or pay - I asked her again if this is for moving the reservation and if so, I should just pay the difference. She rudely cut me off and said that that old reservation is history and there's nothing she could do for it.
If she just told me to call the hotel directly, it would've been sufficient for me, rather than the attitude that she gave me.

You guys are a much better CS agent..
Most Internet Prepaid rates (which I have used in places like England) are not charged until the day of arrival (or the day before), which is not what the website says, but it's nice.
Old Mar 28, 08, 10:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sc flier View Post
socalplat is right that most hotels will usually do this. There could be some that make it difficult, but I would think that most are understanding.

This problem seems to come up too often. Why can't Starwood implement a system that allows "nonrefundable" rates to be refundable for the first X hours after booking? Even some of the airlines offer something like that.
Thanks sc flier. In my own personal experiences, the hotels have been pretty cooperative in canceling a "non-refundable" reservation if you mistakenly booked on the wrong date. Especially if you re-book on another date.

I think that if the hotels remain to be flexible and understanding of our mistakes, I can live with that.^
Old Mar 28, 08, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
The Irish properties (Dublin and Cork) from past experience are fantastic and very customer friendly, so I'm not surprised you had no problem. Hopefully the new property in Athlone will be as good as their counterparts.
Yeah, I just returned from 2 weeks in Dublin and the Westin there is nice and with location that can't be beat.
I'm looking forward to May trip - will try to go to Cork for 1 weekend and stay in Athlone a night on the way to Galway.

Cheers! ^
Old Mar 29, 08, 5:03 am

To the OP - It looks like you have this situation resolved, but if you need any further assistance, please let me know. Out of interest, which Irish property was the booking made at?
Old Mar 29, 08, 9:44 am

Programs: wood-plat, hertz-gold, a/c-elite
It Depends Where

Had experience with this a couple of times and found that wood hotels in North America are much more accomodating about refunding non-refundables. Never had a problem. Made a mistake once in London at Park Lane and it was tough bananas and was out $500. The Nice Meridan tried to charge us but luckily we had a cancellation number (lucky I kept it as it was months old) and I know they would have charged us otherwise. The
European hotels will sock it to you given any opportunities.
Old Mar 29, 08, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmd4211 View Post
To the OP - It looks like you have this situation resolved, but if you need any further assistance, please let me know. Out of interest, which Irish property was the booking made at?
It was your property. :-:
Old Mar 30, 08, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by dmk11 View Post
It was your property. :-:

Shame you had to cancel Glad all worked out OK! As said before, if you need anything in the future, let me know!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: