Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
This is one of several properties learning that by discounting suite rates they are actually being bought and thereby increasing their RevPAR.
When other GMs and Corp recognize this expect others to implement the same policy as this is in the end a business.

Originally Posted by UASPG
​​​​​​As long as I do not have too many problems, I have my room upgraded to a suite and the food is good and not too boring, it’s all good. If the staff is very friendly (like it used to be with many people working at the LMBKK) and helpful, it’s a plus that often influences my booking decisions.

Last edited by Srisarin; Feb 24, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ftrichard
A few other staff changes - one of which is very sad. Everyone's favourite in Bamboo Chic, Jackie, has left along with one of her bartenders. I have to say that Creative Hour at Bamboo Chic under Jackie's watch was one of the key reasons we love this hotel as a Platinum (the others being the almost-certainty of a suite upgrade and the breakfast with bubbles). Now she's gone and it felt like the end of an era. One of my other favourites, Pao, has also left to join the new Marriott opening further along Surawong. Son is still there and was great as always.
KK, the front office manager, has apparently also departed for parts unknown. I only found out when I tried to email her yesterday about an upcoming stay and the email bounced back as undeliverable.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
KK, the front office manager, has apparently also departed for parts unknown.
KK has been with Marriott Surawongse since last year, as DoR if im not mistaken, same owner
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by jclia

KK has been with Marriott Surawongse since last year, as DoR if im not mistaken, same owner
That's correct.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-thailand.html
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by UASPG
That's correct.
Thanks for the info posted on that thread, it is also verified by LMBKK staff.

One of the bar staff, the first of many (reported) to have left, went on to open her own place in Chiang Mai. Sad to hear the rest have also moved on, did not get a chance to interact with them lately as Ive shifted most of my stays elsewhere.

so far the soon to be opened Marriott looks good! Decent staffing and what looks to be quality finishing. Look forward to a stay there when it opens
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Le Meridien Bangkok - Solid Starwood Option

Le Meridien Bangkok

Map| 5 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Le Meridien Bangkok

40/5 Surawong Road Bang Rak Bangkok, TH 10500

Le Meridien Bangkok - Solid Starwood Option (9 Photos)

Le Meridien Bangkok

This was my second stay at Meridien Bangkok this year.  Once again it was a very good stay and there are very few flaws to think of about this hotel.  

Room

In January I was upgraded to a Circular room because there were no suites available at check-in.  This time I was upgraded to a suite which obviously makes it great value for the money particularly given that I was on a BRG stay (3200++ THB).  Looking at the floor plan there are 2 suites per floor (at least based on my floor) out of 18 rooms so it is not surprising that suite availability can be decent for Platinum guests.  At least one upgrade in two stays is far better than my experience so far this year at Athenee (0/4).

You can see from the pictures how the suite looks like, but I would note that the picture of the shower does not do justice.  It is actually a double shower (a rain shower and a regular shower head with hose on each side of the door), which is quite unique.  I just could not take a picture that shows this properly.  The bathroom has movable wall panels on two sides so for a solo traveller you can open everything and have far more light in the bathroom if desired.  

20180303_031916.jpg20180303_031929.jpg20180303_031942.jpg20180303_032009.jpg20180303_032046.jpg20180303_032109.jpg20180303_032358.jpg20180303_035644.jpg

Dining

This hotel has one of the most quiet breakfast buffets in a restaurant that I have seen, because it has a separate section downstairs for Platinums.  The spread is excellent and the quality of the food is good.  They have unlimited Prosecco, which is even more generous than SGS.

In the evening, one of the only drawbacks I can think of is that food options are limited.  You are served one plate with three appetizers so obviously that does not replace a regular Club Lounge such as you can find in ROS or Athenee.  They offered us a second set of appetizers which was appreciated.  The drinks are very nice and they have a good selections of cocktails.

20180303_054910.jpg

The hotel is close to Patpong which is not for everybody's taste, but at least you have lots of restaurants and shops from walking distance, and easy access to the Silom Sky Train BTS line.  I personally find the Sukhumvit line more convenient, but if you plan on going to tourist sites, the Silom line is better because you can go without transfer to Saphan Taksin and take a tourist boat from there.

Service

Service in this hotel is excellent and given that it has co-management with Athenee (Luxury Collection), perhaps you kind of get LC service levels (or close to it) by training I guess.  Staff in the restaurant and the bar in the evening were attentive and asked frequently if we wanted refills.  The hotel was also kind enough to keep a suitcase for us in storage for 3 weeks before our scheduled stay.

Overall

This hotel can be good value for the money and you can find a BRG for less than 4k THB.  Regular rates are usually above 4k and if you start to approach 5k THB then it starts to get closer to SGS or Athenee and depending on dates it becomes best to shop around for other Starwood options which are excellent in Bangkok.

Le Meridien Bangkok - Solid Starwood Option

Would you like to write a review on the Le Meridien Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently had a five night stay at Le Méridien Bangkok on Surawong Road.

Reception/Greeting: Pretty much perfect. I arrived in the driveway by taxi. Two gentlemen came out of the translucent glass front door immediately, one to grab my bag from the trunk, the other to open the taxi door and greet me. The front door operation has improved greatly over the years. Front door staff were consistently friendly and welcoming, looking you in the eye as they welcome you back, ask about your day, or wish you a pleasant one on your way out.

There were one or two occasions during my stay when there was no one at the front door, only a gentleman staffing the bell desk to the left as you enter the hotel. He had his head buried in something on the desk; but I could not see what it was. If the staff normally assigned to the front door are all occupied, perhaps it would be better to have the sole remaining person walk over and stand by the door. Hard for me to say, though; as I do not know what the staffing plan is.

One thing I did notice was that there were a couple of occasions on which one of the front door staff was a woman. This is a great idea. It’s unusual, far from the norm; and that gets it noticed. In a good way. And I can’t help but think that many women will be happy to see this. The front door, after all, is an arriving guest’s first experience with a hotel, and the hotel’s first opportunity to make an impression on the guest.... Or, put slightly differently, the hotel’s only opportunity to make a first impression.

Checkin: I walked up to one of the three front desk podiums, where I was welcomed by a smiling FDC. She immediately saw that I am SPG PLT, and thanked me for my loyalty. Within just a few seconds, Nina, the Guest Relations Manager, came over to welcome me, too. She remembers me from several previous visits. Both Nina and the FDC welcomed me warmly and made me feel like a valued guest, not a customer.

Room: I retrieved my bag from the bell desk, as it was only a single bag with wheels. Nina accompanied me to my room, 2123. On the walk down the hallway from the elevators, I saw numerous stains on the carpet. Clearly it is in need of a good shampoo. It’s also starting to look a bit matted down, flattened. I believe that it has not been changed since the hotel was built in 2009. (I stayed for about a month when the hotel first opened.)

Room 2123 is one of the corner suites, and I’ve always really liked them. This one faces the front of the hotel, diagonally across from the Patpong night market. The building has sufficient noise insulation, as there was no noise in the room from the night market. The black marble in the bathroom continues to hold up better than I would have guessed. And in case I haven’t said it enough times in my previous reviews of this property, I LOOOVE the showers in these suites. They’re quite large, the size of a large, walk-in closet. Each shower has two sets of shower heads, one at each end of the shower.

I did observe a couple of small stains in the carpet in the room; but, more importantly, the carpet is beginning to fray at the edges, particularly where it meets the marble of the foyer and bathroom. And it has lost the depth of its rich color. It may be time to replace the room carpets. And changing the housekeeping vacuums to ones with rotating brush heads might help to combat the noticeable flattening of the carpet, too.

F&B: Breakfast was the only meal I ate in the hotel; so I can only comment about that. I ate breakfast at Latest Recipe every day.

To paraphrase Dinah Washington’s 1959 Grammy Award winning song, -- What A Difference A New GM Makes. In the past, breakfast has consistently been hugely disappointing. On this visit, it was completely different.

For the first time (in my experience), breakfast now has the attention of senior management. The General Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, and Executive Chef were all at breakfast consistently, and it shows in the results. The hotel’s Executive Chef, Marco Cammarata, was supervising behind the counter, making sure that things like French Toast, eggs, etc., were all being prepared properly, and giving instruction where necessary. Chef Cammarata is a smiling, gregarious man who seems to know exactly what he is doing. Here’s some info on Chef Cammarata. Link.

The French toast was cooked perfectly. Orange juice has been upgraded, too. They now serve both Thai orange juice and juice from imported oranges. Both appeared to be freshly squeezed.

Bread pudding is still served at breakfast, along with chocolate sauce. And the Prosecco is served colder than normal, just as I like it! Prosecco at breakfast is complimentary to PLT guests; I don’t know if it’s available for purchase by others, but I would assume that it is. As I’ve mentioned before, this hotel has a separate seating area for PLT guests, a half flight of stairs down from the regular seating area. It has upgraded (read more comfortable) tables and chairs, and is noticeably more peaceful. I quite like it.

Pool: On this visit, I tried the pool area, which I had not visited since the hotel first opened. Back then, I found it more or less deserted and sterile, with a minimum of staff, who mostly did little and looked bored. This time, there was a good number of guests; and more than sufficient staff were both visibly present and service-oriented. I particularly liked the large, shaded sunbeds. Ice water and small, cold, moist cotton towels were delivered immediately as soon as my friend and I selected a spot to lounge. Menus were provided promptly, and food delivered quickly, nicely cooked and presented.

General: The new (as of January) General Manager, Killian Donoghue, is providing the kind of leadership that this hotel has, in my opinion, needed for quite some time. He seems to be a hands-on manager, interactive with both guests and staff. Smiling and quite approachable, he is wasting no time putting his stamp on things, at least judging by breakfast, which I’ve long thought was simply awful (see my previous reviews for details). As I detailed above, it’s much improved, and finally getting management attention. Chef Cammarata’s presence ensures that foods cooked to order are cooked properly.

Things seemed to be running as they should be. Internet access was consistent and fast. Extra bath towels were already in the room, my request therefor apparently recorded from my last visit.

The staff continues to be smiling, friendly, and eager to please, without exception. While SGS will always be my Bangkok home, this hotel has become my go-to second choice. It’s a lovely hotel, -- you won’t be disappointed here.
kodansha999 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
In the evening, one of the only drawbacks I can think of is that food options are limited. You are served one plate with three appetizers so obviously that does not replace a regular Club Lounge such as you can find in ROS or Athenee. They offered us a second set of appetizers which was appreciated.
IME you can have as many of those sets of three appetizers as you like. Just keep asking!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:55 pm

Clearly time to contemplate another stay here. It must be 3 or 4 years since the last. No idea why it’s been so long as I’ve always enjoyed it. And was treated very well.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

F&B: Breakfast was the only meal I ate in the hotel; so I can only comment about that. I ate breakfast at Latest Recipe every day.

To paraphrase Dinah Washington’s 1959 Grammy Award winning song, -- What A Difference A New GM Makes. In the past, breakfast has consistently been hugely disappointing. On this visit, it was completely different.

For the first time (in my experience), breakfast now has the attention of senior management. The General Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, and Executive Chef were all at breakfast consistently, and it shows in the results. The hotel’s Executive Chef, Marco Cammarata, was supervising behind the counter, making sure that things like French Toast, eggs, etc., were all being prepared properly, and giving instruction where necessary. Chef Cammarata is a smiling, gregarious man who seems to know exactly what he is doing. Here’s some info on Chef Cammarata. Link.

The French toast was cooked perfectly. Orange juice has been upgraded, too. They now serve both Thai orange juice and juice from imported oranges. Both appeared to be freshly squeezed.

Bread pudding is still served at breakfast, along with chocolate sauce. And the Prosecco is served colder than normal, just as I like it! Prosecco at breakfast is complimentary to PLT guests; I don’t know if it’s available for purchase by others, but I would assume that it is. As I’ve mentioned before, this hotel has a separate seating area for PLT guests, a half flight of stairs down from the regular seating area. It has upgraded (read more comfortable) tables and chairs, and is noticeably more peaceful. I quite like it.
Your breakfast was superior to my recent experience. Staff at first wanted to seat me on the regular level never having looked to see that as Plat I should be seated near the coffee bar.

Once seated I ordered my coffee and asked for prosecco, she consented and then asked if I'd like sparkling wine. After surveying the food and getting a plate of fruit my coffee had been delivered but not prosecco yet. I went back to get juice and a coconut and still no prosecco so up to the coffee bar to request it. As I get back to my seat I can see her take the bottle out and place it on the counter, where it remains for 5 minutes and staff comes and goes. Finally I took my glass to the counter and inquired if it was self serve. Both coffee and prosecco were catered to the rest of my meal.

The coup de grace was the egg cook who clearly didn't have any care or concern for what he was doing. There was an additional slice of bacon that was knocked to the floor when the egg was 'thrown' on the plate.

Food was good, service was overall lacking and disorganized.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME you can have as many of those sets of three appetizers as you like. Just keep asking!
That's been my experience as well.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Your breakfast was superior to my recent experience.
I'm curious, -- do you remember approximately when that was?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm curious, -- do you remember approximately when that was?
Morning of Feb 27. 8AM.

Killian Donoghue had already shifted over from Courtyard.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:47 pm

While SGS will always be my Bangkok home, this hotel has become my go-to second choice. It’s a lovely hotel, -- you won’t be disappointed here.
Like you, SGS is my go-to home in BKK and I haven't stayed at the LM in a long while. I'll be soon going to BKK for 5 nights, should I consider staying here and split my stay or just stay put at SGS based on your experiences at both?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:51 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
One thing I did notice was that there were a couple of occasions on which one of the front door staff was a woman. This is a great idea. It’s unusual, far from the norm; and that gets it noticed. In a good way. And I can’t help but think that many women will be happy to see this. The front door, after all, is an arriving guest’s first experience with a hotel, and the hotel’s first opportunity to make an impression on the guest.... Or, put slightly differently, the hotel’s only opportunity to make a first impression.
This has been the case at the WGS for as long as I have been staying there.
seanthepilot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.