Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nexus7556
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ftrichard
IIRC the Executive Rooms also have a Japanese water seat in the toilet for that extra special cleansing. The breakfast and evening booze are well worth the extra if you like booze because the bar is excellent and they make great cocktails.
Having just had my first stay here, a quick 1 nighter, I'll agree on the bar/breakfast setup. And being 1 for 1 on suite upgrades doesn't hurt either.

As to the back and forth about orange vs tangerine I couldn't care less.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Having just had my first stay here, a quick 1 nighter, I'll agree on the bar/breakfast setup. And being 1 for 1 on suite upgrades doesn't hurt either.

As to the back and forth about orange vs tangerine I couldn't care less.
We don't know each other but I recognise you as a very regular contributor to the SPG forum. I am aghast that you have just had your first stay at this much-discussed Flyertalk favourite hotel :-). I've had 30-40 stays here over the last few years and despite occasionally trying the other SPG hotels (W, St. Regis, Anthenee, Aloft, Royal Orchid so far) I always regret it and return apologising to them for being unfaithful. It's my second home in Asia because of the staff, suites, Bamboo Chic, breakfast and location which nowhere else matches.
dsquared37 and kodansha999 like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
new GM appointed and will start next month

he’s very familiar with Bangkok having been a GM with Marriott branded property here for last 3 years
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Srisarin
new GM appointed and will start next month

he’s very familiar with Bangkok having been a GM with Marriott branded property here for last 3 years
This is now the second LM in Thailand taken over with a MaRiot GM recently. This cannot be good news for loyal spg members...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
Suspended

2 way street as current Sheraton Cha Am GM came over from Rayong Marriott

Originally Posted by remymartin
This is now the second LM in Thailand taken over with a MaRiot GM recently. This cannot be good news for loyal spg members...
​​​​​​​

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 14, 2017 at 11:45 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remymartin
As long as Mr. Chapman stays at SGS, I'll be a happy camper. Also, the GM at LMCR has been there for a while, now; and that property strikes me as having had higher than average turnover in senior management. Could he be moving on soon?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

expect alot more crossovers as integration continues (already able to use their ID cards cross branding and several owners already not limited to specific brand)

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
As long as Mr. Chapman stays at SGS, I'll be a happy camper. Also, the GM at LMCR has been there for a while, now; and that property strikes me as having had higher than average turnover in senior management. Could he be moving on soon?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sadly, Chapman is not sticking around forever. I'd give it max 2 years...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by Srisarin
2 way street as current Sheraton Cha Am GM came over from Rayong Marriott

QUOTE=remymartin;29170910]This is now the second LM in Thailand taken over with a MaRiot GM recently. This cannot be good news for loyal spg members...
I must be missing something as RemyMartin indicated 2 Marriott GMs moving to Starwood properties and Srisarin pointing out Bruce Dupuis that came from a Marriott hotel to manage both Sheraton Hua Hin hotels, from the Starwood side. Wouldn't that be the 3rd case of a one way street?

At The Athenee, I was pointed out a Marriott family hotel next door to identify the next GM at the LMBKK. I believe that it was the Renaissance Ratchaprasong with Lars Kerfin.
It is certainly not Peter Caprez, GM of the JW Marriott (also close to The Athenee) and 2 other Marriott properties.

Last edited by UASPG; Dec 14, 2017 at 8:14 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The GM at the Andaman came from Marriott, as well as the executive chef and guest relations mgr at the St Regis Langkawi.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:42 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Let’s keep this thread on the topic of the property and leave speculation about management of various hotels to their threads or a dedicated new thread.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, SPG Forum
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:43 pm

Platinum Amenity

It’s been a while since I stayed here last. Is breakfast complimentary to Plats or is it one of the amenity choices (bfast or 500 points?). Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
It’s been a while since I stayed here last. Is breakfast complimentary to Plats or is it one of the amenity choices (bfast or 500 points?). Thanks.
complimentary
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by ftrichard
I've had 30-40 stays here over the last few years and despite occasionally trying the other SPG hotels (W, St. Regis, Anthenee, Aloft, Royal Orchid so far) I always regret it and return apologising to them for being unfaithful. It's my second home in Asia because of the staff, suites, Bamboo Chic, breakfast and location which nowhere else matches.
I just completed my first stay here. I cannot compare with W, St.Regis, and Aloft, but I have been to Royal Orchid, Athenee, Westin, and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. I found the Meridien to be a solid property, but I do not think I am feeling as strongly as ftrichard in the sense that I would gladly return, but I would not make it my second home

The strong point of the Meridien is the platinum happy hour at Bamboo Chic. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the drinks for sure. Since it's not a lounge, then for people who prefer free drinks at a hotel bar then Meridien will be an attractive option, but even then, Meridien will only be #2 in that regard, behind SGS where happy hour is in an even nicer hotel bar (BarSu). The flipside of having happy hour in a bar (not a lounge) is that the food offerings are weak, considerably weaker than Westin, Royal Orchid, and especially Athenee which blows Meridien out of the water in that respect.

The room at Meridien is nice, but I did not get a suite for my 2-night stay because the hotel was full. They were very apologetic at check-in that they would do their best to accommodate me next time so I could feel they are generous with suite upgrades when suites are available rather than being stingy like some hotels are. Despite my (limited) experience, I suspect that the chances of a suite upgrade are better at Meridien than at Westin, SGS, and Athenee (and Aloft based on the separate thread, rather than based on my experience). However regarding suite upgrades, Meridien would not score #1 either. Royal Orchid has more suites and they are also generous to Platinums, so if space is important then someone might want to try their luck at Royal Orchid Sheraton.

I found breakfast to be very good; better than Royal Orchid. But a notch below SGS and Athenee.

So overall I was pleased and I found nothing wrong with the hotel. At the end it comes down to price. Comparing Meridien to SGS and Athenee is obviously not fair and the price generally reflects that. I would return to Meridien in the future but the rate would have to be below 4000 THB otherwise I think I can get better value for my money at ROS which is sometimes priced below 3000 THB (and often 3000-3500 THB), also I would be willing to pay an extra 1000 THB for SGS and even more for Athenee. I would note that some people reported in this thread that it's very hard to get a BRG at Meridien, well I got mine approved and ended up paying 3500 THB. So it can be done.

Last edited by escape4; Mar 5, 2018 at 12:22 am
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by escape4
I think I can get better value for my money at ROS which is sometimes priced below 3000 THB (and often 3000-3500 THB)
I have seen it as low as 2400 THB on a non-refundable public rate. You may get about the same via BRG sometimes + 2000 points. But location of ROS compared to LM is considerably worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.