Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Using Points, and No Availability (although there is on SPG.com Internet Rates)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I am trying to book 6 nights using my 50% off Plat deal (by Mar 3). Of the six nights, two nights (not together) they say are full. Of those two nights I can go onto SPG.com and book "traditional" rooms at the Internet price. I can also go to Expedia.com and there are "standard" rooms. Now granted I can't book a room through *W (non Internet), but there are 5 options of rooms those nights, three different traditional rooms, one deluxe, and one Club level on spg.com. I am not trying to get a deluxe or the club, just a regular room.

Now I can kind of understand the Expedia (kind of only) availability, but when I called they are saying SPG Internet rates are considered a "third party" booking and thus are set aside like Expedia or any others.

Well wait now SPG.com has availability and I can't use my points!

Has anyone ever run across this? I am sitting here kind of irrated because while the I understand rooms being sold out, SPG is selling them on the Internet, sure prepaid, but none the less there is availability.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Gold, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, AM Gold, Avis First
I ran into the same thing last week trying to make a standard booking, not even using points. I didn't want a non-refundable rate (internet only rates showed availablity), so I called SPG and they just said that it was sold out. Kinda sucks-but it sucks for them too since I went to a different hotel as a result.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:12 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA

Well wait now SPG.com has availability and I can't use my points!

Has anyone ever run across this?
Yes. It has happend to me a few times where the hotel was "selling" rooms on SPG.com but had no "standard" rooms available. Its the loophole where hotels can not put rooms available for redemption but can sell them. The slogan "if we have a room, its yours" does not always hold true.

Flyfarfar
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Update (and beware)

Last night I was looking at other alternatives and just put in 8 days instead of 6 and all of a sudden they had availability. I called the Plat line to question it, and I was going to try and book 8 days then slice off 2. Anyhow she called the hotel and they said they had availability for the 6 days I wanted.

So they took out the right number of points and then the hotel had to adjust the reservation. I was told it was a "system glitch", which based on what I went through indeed that has to be the problem.

Anyhow I got 6 nights @10K per night for 30K!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi 1K_From_SNA,

Are you still having such any issues with your reservation? Look alright from your reservation details.

Do send me an email if you need any other assistance.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Hey everyone,

If you do face such similar situations where you are not able to reserve a standard or "traditional" room due to unavailability, feel free to send me a PM so that I can investigate the issue for you.

Originally Posted by 1K_From_SNA
Last night I was looking at other alternatives and just put in 8 days instead of 6 and all of a sudden they had availability. I called the Plat line to question it, and I was going to try and book 8 days then slice off 2. Anyhow she called the hotel and they said they had availability for the 6 days I wanted.

So they took out the right number of points and then the hotel had to adjust the reservation. I was told it was a "system glitch", which based on what I went through indeed that has to be the problem.

Anyhow I got 6 nights @10K per night for 30K!
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II

Hey everyone,

If you do face such similar situations where you are not able to reserve a standard or "traditional" room due to unavailability, feel free to send me a PM so that I can investigate the issue for you.
Hi Starwood Lurker II,

What I have noticed times to times is SPG.com showing cash & point as unavailable but when calling SPG, the reps were able to book it for me as they see plenty of availiablity. The most recent example being St. Regis Singapore. It would be great if SPG.com can be a bit more reliable with respect to cash & points.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 9:37 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi Guava,

I have managed to replicate the same issue for the same property. As this is a new property, there might be some kinks that need to be ironed out. I will forward the problem to my colleagues for assistance.

Thank you for your feedback and have a nice day!

Originally Posted by Guava
Hi Starwood Lurker II,

What I have noticed times to times is SPG.com showing cash & point as unavailable but when calling SPG, the reps were able to book it for me as they see plenty of availiablity. The most recent example being St. Regis Singapore. It would be great if SPG.com can be a bit more reliable with respect to cash & points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.