Report Your Gold Upgrade Successes

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 23, 16, 3:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KENNECTED
Wiki Link
POSTING FORMAT

Hotel: Full Hotel Name
SPG Lifetime Gold - YES OR NO
Paid Stay OR BRG Stay OR Award Stay - (# nights)
Date: Month Year
Booked: Room Type
Upgraded to: Room Type (# category upgrade)
When Upgraded: Before check-in OR Upon check-in

Take it to the next level as a Gold member and enjoy all the benefits of Preferred membership, plus:

Earn three Starpoints® for every U.S. dollar spent on eligible stays — a 50% bonus over Preferred.

4p.m. late checkout, subject to availability at resort and conference center hotels.

An upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in — corner room, higher floor, or better view.

Your choice of welcome gift upon arrival - choose from bonus Starpoints, complimentary premium in-room internet or a beverage on us.
Complimentary in-room, premium Internet access when you book on SPG digital channels. This is in addition to your welcome gift.

Register to earn one Starpoint per dollar spent with Delta Crossover Rewards™ on eligible Delta flights.

New! Your World Rewards ™ with SPG and Emirates Skywards®: Register to earn one Starpoint per dollar on eligible Emirates® flights.

Earn one Starpoint for every US$2 in eligible revenue2 when you book a group for any occasion, business or pleasure. From weddings to meetings to family reunions.
Go Gold — for life. Achieve 250 eligible nights total and five years of elite status, and you’ll earn SPG® Lifetime™ Gold status.

Register and earn with Uber®. Earn 1 Starpoint per U.S. dollar spent with Uber every day, and 3 Starpoints per U.S. dollar spent with Uber during your stays with SPG.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 3, 07, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Report Your Gold Upgrade Successes

I notice theres a thread about reporting plat upgrades...I was just curious how often it happens to people as gold and what locations?

I'll start:
Four points ventura: Stayed there 3 or 4 times. Usually just get put on SPG floor, but one night I did get an upgrade to a large 2-room suite.
W Westwood: Stayed there once, wanted a room with 2 beds. None were available so i was upgraded to a 4 room suite.
Sheraton Tucson: Upgraded to one of the 2 room suites (i think a ton of their rooms are these tho, and its only 30 dollars to upgrade from a normal room).

Anyone else want to share?
Old Jun 3, 07, 6:10 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
You are very lucky. I don't recall getting much or anything as SPG Gold. I can't think of a time I was ever upgraded. Relatedly, they seem to give Gold status away to anyone.
Old Jun 3, 07, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
You are very lucky. I don't recall getting much or anything as SPG Gold. I can't think of a time I was ever upgraded. Relatedly, they seem to give Gold status away to anyone.
I did once - but it was because I arrived late and it was the only room available. Very nice suite. That was quite a few years ago.
Old Jun 3, 07, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, SPG Gold (lifetime), Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat, Hertz Gold
Plenty

I've had plenty of "gold" upgrades at SPG properties. I've been platinum for each of the past three years, was downgraded to gold this year because I just wasn't travelling as much last year, and will be platinum again next week (way too much travelling this year). I find that the "gold" upgrades are best at properties that I have stayed at frequently over the past few years and current years. For example (all as Gold):

Sheraton Greensboro: Often upgraded to their "presidential suite" (they have like 500 of these standard rooms with brass fixtures), but still an upgrade w/ club access, etc.

Sheraton Greensboro: Occasionally upgraded to their true suites (at least 2 or 3 times) generally on shorter stays.

Sheraton Austin: Upgraded 100% of the time to the club floor--never upgraded to any special rooms.

Additionally, I've been upgraded this year during a few point stays:

Sheraton Moorea (French Polynesia): Garden Bungalow to overwater bungalow (this one took some talking/complaining though, but it was my honeymoon, so well worth it).

Westin LAX: Club floor (no special room).

As a Platinum previously and now a Gold, I quite frankly do not see significant differences in the upgrades, with the exception of occasionally getting some of the nicer suites (especially at resort/luxury collection properties). But truthfully, at the hotels that just have a club floor with few special rooms, the differences seem to be moot.
Old Jun 4, 07, 2:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I think there is a general concensus that us Golds get much better treatment in Europe and Asia then we do in North America.

So far in 30 nights this year I've only not been upgraded for about 2 of them and those were at airport hotels. This year seems to have been better on the standard of upgrades than last year as I've been upgraded to a suite on a few different stays now, whereas last year it would normally be a category or two of room upgrade.

I should make it to platinum later this year, but I'm already treated extremely well as a Gold and am very happy with what SPG delivers.
Old Jun 4, 07, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by mecabq View Post
I echo this experience as a chronic Gold member. I generally just get the "SPG Floor", and sometimes not even that, worldwide. If I want/need a better room, I book it.

On a slightly unlrelated note, once, many, many years ago, I was upgraded to a suite at a Hilton for being a silver member!
Old Jun 4, 07, 4:04 am

One question to ask here (maybe for the Lurker) - are all Golds equal?

i.e. Do I score very nicely on upgrades because the Starwood Gods smile upon me, or is it because I'm a relatively decent revenue customer with a pretty reasonable average spend per night?

Maybe it is just the clover, rabbits feet and horseshoes that I bring with me to the check-in that help...
Old Jun 4, 07, 4:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
One question to ask here (maybe for the Lurker) - are all Golds equal?

i.e. Do I score very nicely on upgrades because the Starwood Gods smile upon me, or is it because I'm a relatively decent revenue customer with a pretty reasonable average spend per night?

Maybe it is just the clover, rabbits feet and horseshoes that I bring with me to the check-in that help...
I think it might not just be the Starwood Gods, but the fact you're from God's county. ()
Starwood elites are much thinner on the ground in Europe than in North America so are more likely to get upgrades.
Old Jun 4, 07, 6:05 am

My upgrade chances were excellent when I visited the US which was surprising as I thought there'd be a huge concentration of SPG Golds there - given that it's Starwood's home base. Was upgraded 3 out of 4 times, even though they weren't suite upgrades it was a nice surprise. That's a much higher success rate than my stays in Australia, Asia and Europe.

My upgrade experiences so far as a Gold, excluding the times I'm put on the SPG floor:

Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia - Regular room to Club floor Room
Sheraton Boston - Regular Room to Club floor Room
Four Points Washington DC - Regular Room to Club floor Room
Only hotel I didn't get an upgrade at was the W Chicago Lakeshore and by the looks of the lobby they seemed pretty full so that might be it. Loved the place though.

Westin Melbourne - City view room to studio [and it was my 21st ]
Sheraton On the Park, Sydney - City view room to big corner park view room
Four Points Darling Harbour, Sydney - City view room to harbour view room
W Sydney - Regular room to Loft room [after i discovered that my original room has not been made up]

Le Meridien Orchard Rd, Singapore - Deluxe room to executive room
Sheraton Penang - Executive suite to Apartment suite
Westin Grande Sukumvhit, Bangkok - Regular room to Club floor room
Le Meridien Cyberport, Hong Kong - Not mentioned explicitly but I didn't think a regular room was that big, so I'm assuming a one category upgrade

Zero in Europe so far...

Last edited by Keith009; Jun 4, 07 at 6:13 am
Old Jun 4, 07, 7:18 am

My stays with SPG have typically been business (IE, during the week, and therefore high demand) stays.

for those reporting good upgrades as gold, are you getting these during the week or during weekend/leisure times?
Old Jun 4, 07, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by kuroneko View Post
My stays with SPG have typically been business (IE, during the week, and therefore high demand) stays.

for those reporting good upgrades as gold, are you getting these during the week or during weekend/leisure times?
A mixture. The suite based upgrades tend to be during weekends, like you say down to it sometimes being lower demand. Even during the week though I have had decent upgrades at busy hotels in cities in the US and Europe.
Old Jun 4, 07, 9:40 am

My feeling is that Gold upgrades are intermittent to non-existant if you don't ask for them, but not at all uncommon when you do.

Just personal experience but it seems like the default action when checking in as a gold is that they just give you what you ordered. But pretty much every time I've asked nicely if there's any space available for a club floor or suite they've given it to me. I think asking is key, nothing seems to happen if you don't.
Old Jun 4, 07, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales View Post
My feeling is that Gold upgrades are intermittent to non-existant if you don't ask for them, but not at all uncommon when you do.

Just personal experience but it seems like the default action when checking in as a gold is that they just give you what you ordered. But pretty much every time I've asked nicely if there's any space available for a club floor or suite they've given it to me. I think asking is key, nothing seems to happen if you don't.
Again, I think I'm proving to be the exception rather than the rule. I've never asked to date when checking-in. Then again I always book what I'm happy to receive.
Old Jun 4, 07, 9:49 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
Starwood elites are much thinner on the ground in Europe than in North America so are more likely to get upgrades.
So true! Two months ago while traveling through Europe, my wife and I were noticing how few obese people we saw (in comparison with the US)

That said, I'd agree that the chances are better at airport locations and out of the US, but remember that high occupancy rates also factor into the equation.
Old Jun 4, 07, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales View Post

In my fantasy world, you shouldn't have to ask for benefits you are entitled to.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: