Wiki Posts
Search

Cash & Points - Currency Q

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Incorrect. I have Westin Frankfurt booked on cash and points. They added an additional 19% of to my room rate

Your Rate
Avg Est
Room Total
per Night* Est Total
for Your Stay*
1 Room, 2 Nights

Room Rate: USD 60.00 USD 120.00

Room rate excludes the following:
Mandatory taxes:
Vat: 19.00%
Per Room / Per Night USD 11.40 USD 22.80

Estimated Total*: USD 71.40 USD 142.80
Very much correct. Is it unbelievable for you US guys that a hotel managed by a US corporation breaches the law in Germany? Starwood is a US corporation and they deal with it taxes according to US thinking. However, it is nothing but BS that German VAT is a "mandatory tax" like the sales tax in the US. German VAT is a tax owed by the business like income tax, like corporate tax and all other taxes you can think of. And consumer prices in Germany require to be inclusive of VAT. Starwood is nothing but in breach of the law. However, for 5 Euro notbody will take them to court....
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Incorrect. I have Westin Frankfurt booked on cash and points. They added an additional 19% of to my room rate
BlissWorld, Flying Lawyer is correct. Advertising a rate without VAT is illegal in Germany. So the fact that you were charged, only proofs that Starwood is breaching the law. It does not proof that Flying Lawyer is wrong.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
BlissWorld, Flying Lawyer is correct. Advertising a rate without VAT is illegal in Germany. So the fact that you were charged, only proofs that Starwood is breaching the law. It does not proof that Flying Lawyer is wrong.
I'm not speaking of the advertised rates. I'm speaking of strictly cash and points, which is an award redemption....loopholes?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:35 pm

When are you going?
I'll be there for one night only in Aug.

I am flying back to Toronto from Ibiza but my flight into Munich via Barcelona gets late so I'm staying the night in Munich. I'm sure I'll need the rest after Ibiza
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
How can a c&p rate like this 30 or 40 $ exist in germany, when you only book cat. 3 and higher in germany with c&p???
I booked at The Munich Airport Cat. 2 and actually the $40 rate for the second room was corrected (also $30) with Williams help
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I'm not speaking of the advertised rates. I'm speaking of strictly cash and points, which is an award redemption....loopholes?
As far as the laws in Germany regarding VAT are concerned, the cash part of cash & points is just an advertised rate. The German Taxation Office collects tax on the cash portion. So there is no loophole.

If you advertise any price to the general public in Germany it has to include VAT. It doesn't matter whether it is EUR 195 or the local equivalent to USD40.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; Feb 6, 2008 at 11:18 pm
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
As far as the laws in Germany regarding VAT are concerned, the cash part of cash & points is just an advertised rate. The German Taxation Office collects tax on the cash portion. So there is no loophole.

If you advertise any price to the general public in Germany it has to include VAT. It doesn't matter whether it is EUR 195 or the local equivalent to USD40.
I would even rephrase it: If you advertise any price in Germany, it includes VAT. Your "hidden reservation" to add VAT to the price at a later stage is irrelevant. The seller (Starwood) offers the rate and the buyer (you) accepts. This results in a contract on a rate of USD X INCL of VAT.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge
I booked at The Munich Airport Cat. 2 and actually the $40 rate for the second room was corrected (also $30) with Williams help
Ah thank you. I am going to Munich too, so I should look into that hotel.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I would even rephrase it: If you advertise any price in Germany, it includes VAT. Your "hidden reservation" to add VAT to the price at a later stage is irrelevant. The seller (Starwood) offers the rate and the buyer (you) accepts. This results in a contract on a rate of USD X INCL of VAT.
That sounds nice, but should I even bother arguing if they tack on VAT?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is what I said earlier: However, for 5 Euro nobody will take them to court....
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
That is what I said earlier: However, for 5 Euro nobody will take them to court....
But someone must have complained? I mean, you can't possibly be the only guest who went, "Wait a minute, why am I paying VAT on top of listed price? This is illegal in this country!"
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lutz
But someone must have complained? I mean, you can't possibly be the only guest who went, "Wait a minute, why am I paying VAT on top of listed price? This is illegal in this country!"
Seriously, 80 perc. of C&P users are Americans and they consider it to be normal. A substantial number comes from other countries and they are not aware what is legal and what is not legal. And the remaining minority will not take the effort to discuss with a call center agent in the US or Ireland on German tax law.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
According to the Platinum concierge, rates are guaranteed in US dollars if you pay in cash or with US dollar travellers cheques. Rates are converted to the local currency if you pay by credit card.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
According to the Platinum concierge, rates are guaranteed in US dollars if you pay in cash or with US dollar travellers cheques. Rates are converted to the local currency if you pay by credit card.
We were told the same by the Platinum concierge - "pay your cash portion of C&P in exact US Dollars to avoid currency conversion". Turned out to be totally not true, at least not in Portugal.

Hotel presents you with a cash portion which is already been converted into Euros using hotel's rate as of some date. You have a choice - to pay in cash euros, to pay with a credit card in euros which will be converted back into US Dollars by your CC company/bank or to pay in cash US Dollars BUT also converted back using some exhange rate. So, $40 cash portion turned out to be about $43-$44 with two back and forth exchange rates.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I spent two nights at the Singapore LeMeridien on a C&P stay and was given a customer-friendly conversion. The SGD exchange rate was cheaper than the $30usd published rate (but less than a $1).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.