Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Why did AMEX/SPG send me expired SPG50 certificates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.

This week and last week, I just received my first-ever AMEX Starwood credit cards for both personal and business.

Both included a free SPG50 certificate; but both certificates expired 12/31/07. Some bonus!

If I call SPG, will they send me replacement SPG certificates for 2008? Of course even better is if they were to give me 2,000 SPG points.

From what I read around hear, the certificates aren't really worth much, but still it is bad form for them to send you an expired certificate with your new credit card.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
This week and last week, I just received my first-ever AMEX Starwood credit cards for both personal and business.

Both included a free SPG50 certificate; but both certificates expired 12/31/07. Some bonus!

If I call SPG, will they send me replacement SPG certificates for 2008? Of course even better is if they were to give me 2,000 SPG points.

From what I read around hear, the certificates aren't really worth much, but still it is bad form for them to send you an expired certificate with your new credit card.
sounds like it's an AMEX thing. Call them.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I've had this happen and Amex was able to send a replacement. It took a little while (about 6 weeks) but it did come. Just call customer service.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Most likely a problem at the AMEX fulfillment house not having received the new 2008 SPG50's or these old ones somehow slipping through. Person (worker bee in warehouse) is instructed to put a SPG50 into every envelope. For that individual, they don't know/care what an SPG50 is or that the SPG50 is expired, they are just doing as they are supposed to. After 8 hours, they are punching the clock and heading home. Nothing bad on the worker's part, and nothing against the worker. Call AMEX and ask for another.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:27 pm
Suspended

I recently received my SPG AMEX card and there was no cert in it at all -- received in 12/07.

I did not even know of this perk. Is this an annual thing?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA, AK, Mar, Hyatt
I received my Amex card on Dec 30 with certificates that were set to expire the very next day. They said they'll mail me new certs in the next few weeks.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dbruin
I received my Amex card on Dec 30 with certificates that were set to expire the very next day. They said they'll mail me new certs in the next few weeks.

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 3:13 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Does Amex send these out every year, or only when you get a new SPG Amex card? I couldn't use last year's cert, but might need one in a couple of months.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:47 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
I got my AMEX card the last week of December, also with SPG50 certs that expired on 12/31/07. When an Amex rep called me to see if I got the card, I mentioned the expired cert, and was told to call SPG to get a new one. Haven't done that yet, so don't know if I'll be bounced back to AMEX.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:04 am

What do you think the chances are for a card received in october.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I was told to call SPG, where the agent said, "are they still sending those out?" Now it's just a waiting game to get the new one.

BTW, is there any way to find the rack rates without calling?
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:01 am

Same here

I got my card in first week of jan with an expired cert. I immediately called Amex CC and they asked me to call SPG CC. The SPG CC said thy will re-send a new one - its 3 weeks now and no response
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
BTW, is there any way to find the rack rates without calling?
Unfortunately, per past posts on this question, the answer is no. Since the SP50 usable rate is usually different and higher than the online listed rack rate, the only way to find out the true SP50 rate is to call CS.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:39 am
Suspended

With an SPG50 award can you still collect points???
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:18 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe that the answer to your question is yes. And I also believe you will get stay/night credit as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.