Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rooms available - but not for Starpoints!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Rooms available - but not for Starpoints!

I was just trying to book a room in Grand Cayman towards the end of December.

Rooms are showing up for around $599/night.

Of course, I would like to use some points, and the option instructs me to call by phone... which I do, only to be told, "oh no sir, there are no redemption rooms available. The website is wrong."

I thought the whole point of this great program was that if a room was available, they'd give it to you!??

Similarly, booking 5 nights in Aruba in December over the holiday period show up as non-existent on the SPG site... over at Expedia.com, plenty to choose from at the SAME hotel!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I guess Marriott is doing SPG award stays now.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:36 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
This has happened to me before. The hotel had a "mandatory rate" and would not accept award reservations. What ever happened to mandatory redemptions?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 11:08 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Sooner or later we'll all finally realize there are more asterisks and fine print to all of the guarantees and perks we have been promised than _________________. There are many good reasons SPG lost out at the Freddie's.

Last edited by DENPremEx; Dec 15, 2007 at 9:15 pm Reason: Edited due to overly sensitive fellow FTers and their inability to take a joke.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:10 am

It has to be a standard room. Any upgrade to the standard room and the guarantee doesn't apply (eg, view room, deluxe room, ...). It's possible that they are sold out of their standard rooms. It would not surprise me at all if a property on Grand Cayman is sold out of standard rooms for the end of December since it's now mid-December.

It can be difficult to tell if the available room is a "standard" room or not. SPG properties have all sorts of ways of labeling their rooms.

-David
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Another possibility is that the hotel is in an oversold situation. Under those circumstances hotel rooms are not considered available and thus no award redemption is possible.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by clarkef
Another possibility is that the hotel is in an oversold situation. Under those circumstances hotel rooms are not considered available and thus no award redemption is possible.
OP said rooms are available for $599.

-David
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I thought the whole point of this great program was that if a room was available, they'd give it to you!??
This has happened to me a couple of times. There is nothing sinister going on. Both times I was able to call the phone reps and book a "deluxe" or upgrade room for extra points. The "standard" rooms are booked up, so you have to pay more points.

In 1 case, I was later able to snag standard availability. 1 time, I had to pay the extra points.

Also, it wasn't clear to me from your post - were there rooms available on SPG.com, or some other sight? If you can't book and kind of room for the nights on SPG.com, you won't have luck getting award redemption at all.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I was just trying to book a room in Grand Cayman towards the end of December.

Rooms are showing up for around $599/night.

Of course, I would like to use some points, and the option instructs me to call by phone... which I do, only to be told, "oh no sir, there are no redemption rooms available. The website is wrong."

Similarly, booking 5 nights in Aruba in December over the holiday period show up as non-existent on the SPG site... over at Expedia.com, plenty to choose from at the SAME hotel!
I've had so many bad experiences at the Westin Cayman I wouldn't stay there again if they paid me. I am told by friends in Cayman this property is locally owned they barely pay lip service to SPG entitlements.

Too bad - Cayman is a wonderful place to vacation. Still, count your blessings they refused your point stay. If nothing's changed, you would have felt ripped off anyway.

My opinion, for what it's worth.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:26 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Not that a particular date was mentioned with regard to Grand Cayman, but checking from December 26th through the end of the year, there are no rooms for sale through the Customer Contact Center or online at spg.com. If you see availability anywhere else, such as Expedia, these are rooms which have already been sold to Expedia (which they are selling at a wholesale rate) and have been taken out of inventory for that reason.

However, checking from December 17th through December 26th, there is Preferred (free) Night Award availability both through the Customer Contact Center and spg.com, so my thoughts are that there is no conspiracy involved. The hotel just seems to be sold out. YMMV.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:37 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Checking for Aruba, I find these dates with standard Preferred (free) Night Award availability for the rest of the month:

December 17, 18, 19
December 23, 24, 25
December 30, 31

Hotel looks to be sold out for:

December 20, 21, 22
December 26, 27, 28, 29

Again, if you see availability anywhere else, such as Expedia, these are rooms which have already been sold to Expedia (which they are selling at a wholesale rate) and have been taken out of inventory for that reason.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.