FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   [GONE: left 29Feb16] Hotel Kamp Helsinki, Finland, Luxury Collection [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/768152-gone-left-29feb16-hotel-kamp-helsinki-finland-luxury-collection-master-thread.html)

nonesuch flyer Jan 8, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by vulle (Post 15612115)
No problem! Forgot to mention another favorite in Helsinki, http://chefetsommelier.fi/ . This is a cozy small restaurant with big aspirations, also by tram route 3B/3T. Otherwise a 20 minute walk from Kämp.

You should stay for a bit longer in Helsinki to try all these restaurants ;)

Thanks for the extra information....

Unfortunately my travel plans only allow me one day in Helsinki. I have a flight to FRA early the next day.

However it looks like I can have a very nice lunch and dinner!

flightjunk Jan 12, 2011 2:17 am

The hotel is nice, but every time I stay there the staff is not friendly at all. And this is true for all areas (check-in, restaurant, service desk for conferences, etc.).

TRAVELSIG Jan 12, 2011 4:10 am

Originally Posted by flightjunk (Post 15640139)
The hotel is nice, but every time I stay there the staff is not friendly at all. And this is true for all areas (check-in, restaurant, service desk for conferences, etc.).

That is too bad- I have had very good interaction with the staff here- would venture and say this is probably the best option in Helsinki of any hotel overall.

bostonbali Jan 29, 2011 6:32 am

I'm guessing a complimentary breakfast for Plats is not offered at this hotel?

I know it's not a stated Plat benefit, but there are many hotels that do offer it - therefore I at least wanted to ask the question (though I believe I know the answer...)

Thanks,
Bostonbali

flightjunk Feb 2, 2011 1:40 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali (Post 15759526)

I know it's not a stated Plat benefit, but there are many hotels that do offer it - therefore I at least wanted to ask the question (though I believe I know the answer...)

Thanks,
Bostonbali

No complimentary breakfast was offered to me as a Plat.

TRAVELSIG Feb 2, 2011 7:09 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali (Post 15759526)

Thanks,
Bostonbali

In Europe, very few hotels offer complimentary breakfast, and certainly not because of a membership with SPG.
Options are to book a rate which includes breakfast, or pay the supplement (which is normally ~30 EUR in any decent hotel in Europe).

Leumas Feb 2, 2011 2:07 pm

But with the location of this hotel, I'd just go and explore the city. I recall a yummy cake shop / cafe just a few shop windows down from the hotel.

GUWonder Feb 2, 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 15786062)
In Europe, very few hotels offer complimentary breakfast, and certainly not because of a membership with SPG.
Options are to book a rate which includes breakfast, or pay the supplement (which is normally ~30 EUR in any decent hotel in Europe).

For Starwood properties, that's true. However, for most other hotel chains in Scandinavia+Finland that have properties in more than one country, many -- maybe even most -- properties do offer complimentary breakfast.

Non-NonRev Feb 2, 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG (Post 15786062)

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 15789284)
For Starwood properties, that's true. However, for most other hotel chains in Scandinavia+Finland that have properties in more than one country, many -- maybe even most -- properties do offer complimentary breakfast.

My personal finding is that it's some of both of what TRAVELSIG and GUWonder are pointing out. While chains like Accor and Thon, just to pick two, often have breakfast as a part of their standard rates, non-standard rates such as hot rates, web specials and prepaid, non-cancellable rates often clearly state that breakfast is not included in the room price.

Sometimes a booking service will include breakfast as an added-value bonus. For example, a while back, a hotel in Stuttgart (not LeMeridien) was offering a room at €227 without breakfast, €245 with breakfast. Leading Hotels had the same two rates. However, HRS.de had the same room at €227 with the breakfast included (not too hard to figure out which one I booked) :)

As for the Kämp, maybe a better benchmark would be to consider whether most Luxury Collection properties include breakfast (and to narrow it down even further, consider whether LC properties in Europe include/don't include).

leo-chan Mar 29, 2011 8:53 pm

Most LC properties in Europe that I've stayed at, do not include breakfast.

My stay at the Kämp recently was fantastic. A C&P redemption for 2 nights, was upgraded to a Junior Park View Suite.

Spent more money at the bar (fantastic selection and bartenders) than the cash portion of the room rate :) It was snowing. I was lazy.

RTWSTARALLIANCE May 7, 2011 6:13 pm

Hello. Looks like I will be in HEL very soon. From HEL to the Kamp? Finnair bus to central station then taxi? Any other info appreciated. Thanks.

leo-chan May 7, 2011 11:48 pm

Take a shared taxi, costs about 25 Euros. Booths are on the right hand side of the exit if you are arriving on Blue1/SAS..

Regular taxis should cost between 40 - 50 euro.

RTWSTARALLIANCE May 8, 2011 7:23 am

Thank you. I arrive on LH. Which way would I break then? Thanks.

Leumas May 8, 2011 4:17 pm

I haven't been there for a while, but there used to be a shuttle bus/van. It was costing around the same as the 'shared taxi'. Maybe leo-chan was referring to the same thing.

lalala May 8, 2011 10:15 pm

Here now - executive room upgrade - no non smoking suites. We are fine as it's a short stay. Fantastic cafe Fazer across the way for breakfast and very close to big food market. Would stay here again - maybe next month.