Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stay Just Once And Enjoy Gold Status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, HH Diamond,HertzGold,Interconental Plat Amb.
Stay Just Once And Enjoy Gold Status

I just got an email with this(above) heading that sez:
---------------------
Thank you for registering for this Starwood Preferred Guest(R)
promotion. Stay just once between December 1, 2007, and
February 29, 2008, to become a Gold Preferred Guest(R)
member through February 28, 2009.
---------------------

I'm an occasional user of SPG, having stayed about 7 or 8 nights in a couple of stays this year. Just seems like they don't hit the niche I like. Sheraton is a little tacky(usually) and Westin a little pricey (usually) and the top tier properties usually way too expensive.

So, I get this promo out of nowhere. Maybe they were reading my mind and seeing that darn near every time we try to stay at a Westin, it turns out a Hyatt is half the price for pretty much the same thing.

Anyhow, Gold might help me choose SPG sometime and I'm thinking of forcing it and just staying at a SPG property to get it.

My questions is:
Is this email something that everyone got?
If so, won't it result in too many Golds and hurt the chance of ever getting a freebie UG?

At the rate I'm going, I'd never make Gold... Is a couple hundred bucks worth it?

Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by brucebowe
I just got an email with this(above) heading that sez:
---------------------
Thank you for registering for this Starwood Preferred Guest(R)
promotion. Stay just once between December 1, 2007, and
February 29, 2008, to become a Gold Preferred Guest(R)
member through February 28, 2009.
---------------------

I'm an occasional user of SPG, having stayed about 7 or 8 nights in a couple of stays this year. Just seems like they don't hit the niche I like. Sheraton is a little tacky(usually) and Westin a little pricey (usually) and the top tier properties usually way too expensive.

So, I get this promo out of nowhere. Maybe they were reading my mind and seeing that darn near every time we try to stay at a Westin, it turns out a Hyatt is half the price for pretty much the same thing.

Anyhow, Gold might help me choose SPG sometime and I'm thinking of forcing it and just staying at a SPG property to get it.

My questions is:
Is this email something that everyone got?
If so, won't it result in too many Golds and hurt the chance of ever getting a freebie UG?

At the rate I'm going, I'd never make Gold... Is a couple hundred bucks worth it?

Thanks.
Personally (as an SPG gold), I would do a quick stay in a heartbeat (find a local cheap Four Points or something and do a mattress run). The upgrades can be decent, but for me, the guaranteed 4pm checkout (except at convention centers) is worth it. Also, you get double starpoints on your stays, so you can accumulate some points faster. This sounds like a great deal for you.

As for the too many golds idea, I agree - if this went out to lots of people. Has anyone else gotten this?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:12 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Seeing as this is about the fifth post for this week regarding this offer then I would say that others have definitely received this. Folks - please use the search button. I'm going to leave this open ONLY because it continues to be posted at least once a day.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:19 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
What's the next offer going to be? Perhaps, something like "Take a breath and Gold status is yours!" Seems like SPG should just make everyone Gold.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Premier Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by ldsant
Seeing as this is about the fifth post for this week regarding this offer then I would say that others have definitely received this. Folks - please use the search button. I'm going to leave this open ONLY because it continues to be posted at least once a day.

ldsant
*wood Moderator
Sorry, I responded as I hadn't seen this. Have been away much of the week.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
What's the next offer going to be? Perhaps, something like "Take a breath and Gold status is yours!" Seems like SPG should just make everyone Gold.
It sort of take the incentive away for me to stay at *wood to earn status--I'll be able to get Gold somehow and I know I won't hit the stays needed for Platinum.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Wink

ldsant
*wood Moderator

awww. I say lock it! I want an Ernst & Young recount. A "do over"!

I love to see the little "lock" icon, followed by your little reminder...I feel soooooooo cheated!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
This "stay once and get gold" to my recollection has not been part of the Q1 promotion discussed in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Seems to me it's new and different.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sirecca
This "stay once and get gold" to my recollection has not been part of the Q1 promotion discussed in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Seems to me it's new and different.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=767420
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
And? That thread was closed. Is there an open thread discussing the "stay once and get gold" promotion that seems to have been released in the last couple of days?

P.S. Other than this one, which you are lobbying to close?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sirecca
And? That thread was closed. Is there an open thread discussing the "stay once and get gold" promotion that seems to have been released in the last couple of days?

P.S. Other than this one, which you are lobbying to close?
That is been discussed. a new thread started, that is been discussed and locked. a another new thread started. not to mention, it will probably be posted again in a new thread.

anywhooooooooo....this thread will be forgotten when a NEW "what kind of compensation am I entitled to?" thread is posted!

Last edited by KENNECTED; Dec 14, 2007 at 3:27 pm
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, HH Diamond,HertzGold,Interconental Plat Amb.
Honestly, I tried searching first - about 10 times. Like most off-the-shelf forum scripts, this one has marginal searching ability.

All I can say is Excuuuse Meeee. Serves me right for not lurking in the SPG section even though I seldom stay at an SPG property..
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
OK, since the first two posts of this thread are the only ones on topic, it also seems to me this thread needs hijacking...

I think we need to start a pool:

Which threads have been closed more, Redundant q1 promos or redundant stay 1 night get Gold promos?

My money is still on the former by, say 2 to 1? Of course, only the Mods know the answer. Other guesses?
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:17 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
OK, since the first two posts of this thread are the only ones on topic, it also seems to me this thread needs hijacking...

I think we need to start a pool:

Which threads have been closed more, Redundant q1 promos or redundant stay 1 night get Gold promos?

My money is still on the former by, say 2 to 1? Of course, only the Mods know the answer. Other guesses?
I'm in on this - but of course I want the "pool" to consist of *wood points!
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:18 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by brucebowe
Honestly, I tried searching first - about 10 times. Like most off-the-shelf forum scripts, this one has marginal searching ability.

All I can say is Excuuuse Meeee. Serves me right for not lurking in the SPG section even though I seldom stay at an SPG property..
If you post/send me what search criteria you used I am happy to forward it to the tech guys so that they can resolve any problems. Additionally, since there have been new upgrades to the searching capabilities in the last few months I know they would be most interested to try and replicate what isn't working.

ldsant
*wood Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.