Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton PDX compensation or tough luck?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Sheraton PDX compensation or tough luck?

I stayed at the Sheraton Airport in PDX on Dec 25-26. I live in Portland and
had an early morning flight the 26 to SIN. I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and have always found it to be very pleasant, especialy when I have to fly out at 5:30am. Anyway, long story short. I usually order from the all night menu upon arrival (around 11:00pm) when I tried to order this time I was told that the hotel was looking to hire a chef for the late evening orders but there was no food available at this time. I asked about the mini bar as I hadn't asked for a key and was told that it only stocked beverages. I ended up driving 5 miles down the road and getting dinner and
didn't get to bed til 2:30 thus eliminating the point of staying close to the airport since it is a 50 minute drive from my house.
The front desk clerk didn't apologize, wasn't rude either, just didn't seem to think it was a very big deal. Should I ask for compensation via points or just write it off as bad luck? I am a Plat member and have stayed at this hotel
many times. I realize I should have made a request prior to checking out,
however, my wake up call didn't come through and I woke up with 20 minutes to get to the airport, no time to talk to anyone!
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by KarensuePDX
I stayed at the Sheraton Airport in PDX on Dec 25-26. I live in Portland and
had an early morning flight the 26 to SIN. I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and have always found it to be very pleasant, especialy when I have to fly out at 5:30am. Anyway, long story short. I usually order from the all night menu upon arrival (around 11:00pm) when I tried to order this time I was told that the hotel was looking to hire a chef for the late evening orders but there was no food available at this time. I asked about the mini bar as I hadn't asked for a key and was told that it only stocked beverages. I ended up driving 5 miles down the road and getting dinner and
didn't get to bed til 2:30 thus eliminating the point of staying close to the airport since it is a 50 minute drive from my house.
The front desk clerk didn't apologize, wasn't rude either, just didn't seem to think it was a very big deal. Should I ask for compensation via points or just write it off as bad luck? I am a Plat member and have stayed at this hotel
many times. I realize I should have made a request prior to checking out,
however, my wake up call didn't come through and I woke up with 20 minutes to get to the airport, no time to talk to anyone!
You had a stay in the future?

No you should not receive compensation.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:20 pm

I am not sure what you are seeking compensation for.

The lack of food in the mini-bar?

No room service after 11:00pm?

Did you think of phoning Dominos?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

One of the reasons I choose to stay at the Sheraton PDX is because of their
all night menu... It is the most expensive airport hotel and I don't mind paying extra but do expect them to provide services that are supposed to be provided. I get the impression from the replies that others think it is perfectly
fine that they currently are in the process of hiring a new chef... maybe you are more tolerant than I. I didn't appreciate losing over an hour more of sleep to go find my dinner at another hotel down the road.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Stay was Nov 25-26,
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:49 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Sorry, I don't think you're due any kind of compensation. You had to drive a few miles to get food. Yes, it would have been great if the hotel had food available but the clerk explained they didn't and explained the reason. What did the GM say regarding your concern when you asked at the hotel when it happened?
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Not legally entitled, but I'd give you at least 10% off of your bill that night since you are a platinum/regular/local!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 5:26 am
Original Poster

GM wasn't there, I left for Singapore the next morning and am now in Florida so I haven't had a time to pursue it. Guess that is a good thing since the overwhelming opinion here is that I am whining about nothing.

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:18 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
GM wasn't there, I left for Singapore the next morning and am now in Florida so I haven't had a time to pursue it. Guess that is a good thing since the overwhelming opinion here is that I am whining about nothing.

Thanks!
Setting aside the compensation question, I would still contact Hotel Customer Service and let them know about your disappointment. If you have ideas about what would make this right for you, then you should offer that suggestion because it never hurts to let folks know what you have on your mind.

Having said that, however, I wouldn't set myself up for another disappointment if they didn't come through with what I suggested. 800-328-6242 or [email protected]. Good luck.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks William,

I received a survey via email re my stay at Sheraton PDX and noted my displeasure in the survey. Does anyone really pay attention to the surveys or should I contact the number you listed? Other than this one problem, I think the Sheraton PDX is terrific.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:15 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thanks William,

I received a survey via email re my stay at Sheraton PDX and noted my displeasure in the survey. Does anyone really pay attention to the surveys or should I contact the number you listed? Other than this one problem, I think the Sheraton PDX is terrific.
The hotels pay attention to the surveys; however, it never hurts to hedge a bet and contact Hotel Customer Service as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
. . . . just didn't seem to think it was a very big deal.
I do not either. Disappointing maybe, but certainly not a big deal. I would not have thought to ask for any compensation.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify things, I wasn't suggesting a monetary compenasation,
I was refering to points..
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:14 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Seems to me it depends on whether they actively promote 24-hour room service and/or an onsite restaurant that stays open late. I sometimes look at the SPG/hotel web site for info like this, and occasionally it can be the determining factor in where I stay. If they say they offer something, but it's not available when you get there, IMO that's a problem.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

The hotel does indeed advertise 24 hour room service, which is one of the key factors in choosing this hotel. I must admit I am a bit surprised at some of the responses, ie call Dominoes.. if I wanted to order pizza in, I would have stayed at a Motel 6

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.