Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Boston [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2006, 2:37 pm
iwc

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
i was at the sheraton boston a month or so ago and the kiosk was in place. it offered me a choice of a couple of upgrades as well as my amenity. i love the kiosks.
The kiosk is great but only if it were in more locations.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Arrow Sheraton Boston [Master Thread]

Its the trade deadline and tomorow Mets Brewers are on ESPN. This is getting tiresome. I spoke to a manager about this three weeks ago and he said it would fixed the next day. Lies.

Why cant they sell MLB Extra Innings like the Westins?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:22 pm

That would be the least of my problems with this hotel.

It's a pit.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:36 pm
Suspended

i like the sheraton boston....quite a bit actually. although i would be pis*ed if there was no ESPN.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:07 am

Wow, that is not cool....I stayed there around July 4th, and they definitely had ESPN at that time...is it just ESPN that is missing? How do you lose one station?

I've had a few stays there and think it is a slightly above average property for Boston. Not luxury, but I've always found it clean and the service acceptable. Plus, I've always been upgraded (as a gold).
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
i like this thread since you don't have to search through some out of control master threads.. usually these master threads become useless real fast due to size

anyway back on topic

I too wonder how only ESPN is missing? I believe ya but it seems weird. I would be upset too.. I only watch basically the weather channel and ESPN or an ESPN spin off in hotels
Old Aug 1, 2007, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
i like this thread since you don't have to search through some out of control master threads..
yes and no, though i agree with you in this case. however, it seemed like this thead was becoming more thoughts on the property and less on ESPN. again, i would not be pleased if an expected channel like ESPN all of a sudden disappeared....for weeks.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 2:18 pm

Programs: starwood plat, delta plat
Well as the problem is one that could definitly occur at any property, and solutions from other cities may be out there, it seems like limiting this to the Boston thread may be warranted.

However posts such as this one and many before it probably belong in a separate thread specifically for meta discussions about the validity of threads.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:02 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
As I never watch ESPN -- and think the proliferation of ESPN channels is one of the Signs the End Is Near -- can't say I'd miss it, even on my frequent trips to Boston.

Matter of fact, I tend to indicate a hotel has a well-balanced cable lineup if it has some of the less common cable channels, such as Sci Fi.

But the hotel really needs to get its act together if it says it'll fix something and doesn't. Wonder if it's a problem with their satellite/cable provider and not the hotel itself.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Sheraton Boston Trip Report

After a few searches, I've noticed that we don't have a current master thread for Sheraton Boston, so I'm starting one because I think this hotel deserves recognition.

First of all, I would just like to thank the hotel and staff members for their consistent warm hospitality and Platinum recognition. They treat me and other Platinums exceptionally well.

Hotel Location and General Info
Sheraton Boston in located in the heart of back bay. The hotel is connected to the Prudential Center, an upscale shopping mall. The Prudential Center is also connected to Copley Place, another upscale shopping plaza. In the cold winter, this makes walking extremely convenient and comfortable. Only a block away, there stands the infamous Newbury St, where one would find more boutique and upscale stores along with highly rated restaurants.

Nearby Restaurants
The Sheraton Boston does not have any in house restaurants, but there are many restaurants inside both Copley Place and Prudential Center (Legal Seafoods, Turner Fisheries, Cheesecake Factory, Palm, CPK ASAP, etc) There are also many eateries on Newbury Street. Across the street from the hotel entrance is a local bar called Bukowski's Tavern. It has a decent selection of booze.

Sheraton Boston does have room dining options. Unfrotunately, due to the lack of an in house restaurants, food options are somewhat starndardized and limited.

Nearby Facilities
Banks, post office, and grocery stores are near by. Shaw Supermarket, which is open 24/7 is conveniently located across the street from the Prudential Center. Simply walk to the skybridge between Copley Place and Prudential Center for the items you forget to bring with you.

Transportation
Public Transportation is extremely accessible in Boston. Take T green line either on E-Medical Center directly to the Prudential Center or Take any green line train other than E to Hynes Convention Center. I personally prefer Hynes Convention Center because it dumps you off Newbury St and Sheraton is only a block away. It is far easier to walk than the often crowded Prudential Center. If you are coming from Boston Logan Airport, simply take the Blue line inbound towards downtown, get off at Goverment Center to connect to the green line.

Hotel
The hotel itself consists of 2 towers: North and South. Club level rooms and lounge are located in the North Tower Floor 26, 27, 28, and 29. The club lounge is on floor 29. The lounge offers complimentary soft drinks, beer, wine, and cocktails for a nominal fee. There are breakfast and evening appetizers served daily. Breakfast consists of the typical continental fare while evening reception includes cheese, veggies with tip, a couple of hot dishes like dim sum, seafood soufle, and desserts. The selection is more than acceptable. There are 2 express elevators that take you directly from the lobby, 2, 3, 4 and 5th floor to floors 26 and above.

Hotel Facilities
The hotel has several (more than 10) computer stations in the lobby free to registered guests. Internet access and printing (up to 5 pages) is complimentary. Simply follow on screen instruction and print your documents (boarding passes, etc) and pick them up at the Concierge. There is also a pool with a retractble roof, gym (charge), sauna, and hot tub. These facilities are on the 5th floor and guests simply have to sign in to access.

Rooms/Suites
I have not stayed in a nonclub or club standard room but I believe the hotel has been completely renovated. Each standard room is equipped with the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed, 27 inch TV, standard alarm clock, work desk, and all new bliss toiletry items .

There are several room types at this property:
Traditional
Club
Executive Suite (Club and non club)
Junior Suite (Club and non club)
Standard Suite (Club and non club)
Corner Suite (Club)
Presidential Suite (4 in the North Tower)

For a minimal amount, I highly recommend booking the executive suite. It is basically the size of 2 standard rooms with a seaparating french doors. I find these room types to be extremely cozy.

I have been fortunate enough to get at least a club corner suite each time I stay at Sheraton Boston (Presidential suite once)

I'll write a little bit more about the club corner suites. These suites are on the 26, 27, 28, 29 corners of the hotel. It encompasses the entire width of the hotel (about the size of 3-4 standard rooms). These club floor suites have a separate oversized master bedroom in one corner with incredible Charles River view. Some have walk in closets, some have walk in kitchenettes. There is a separate sitting area within the master bedroom. There is also a master bath with dual sinks and an additional 1/2 bath in the living room. The living room resides in the other corner of the suite facing the other side of Boston, also an incredible view. There is an entertainment center with a few books on the shelves. There is also a dining table for 4. I find these suites to be extremely cozy and comfortable, not to mention spacious with a stunning view.

The presidential suites are also located in the corners of the hotel on the club floors. The layout is pretty much the same as the corner suites except they are the size of about 4-5 standard rooms. The living room is a lot bigger with a full wet bar, more furniture, 42" inch plasama TV with bose surround sound. The master bedroom is the same of those in corner suite with it has a bose accoustic wave stereo. The one I had was called Fenway, because it faces the Fenway Park in one corner of the suite.

Internet
Internet service is available for $9.95 per day. Wireless internet is unavailable except at the club lounge where it is free. Don't forget that the lobby also has free computer work stations. Also, Newbury Street has an open wireless network (free). It is supported by several merchants on Newbury. One particular place I especially enjoy is the Trident bookstore. It's a very cozy bookstore with a built in cafe. They have incredible breakfast items and delicious coffee and smoothies. Since internet is free on Newbury, I often stay there for a couple of hours sitting by the window enjoying my brunch while the snow falls onto the street. It is absolutely lovely.

Parking
Parking is available at the hotel (really expensive), at Prudential Center, or a 24 hour lot across the main entrance.

Staff/Customer Service
The Sheraton Boston has got to have the best trained employees in the entire Starwood system. Every single employee is extremely friendly, professional, and eager to serve. Everytime I check in, they write down their names and a special extention number for me to call if I needed anything. ^ I am usually preblocked into a suite and late check out is automatically offered. Despite this hotel being an official convention hotel, they NEVER, and I mean NEVER, including when the hotel is sold out and full of conventioners, they still offer 4PM late check out with having to ask. There's only one time where they were unable to offer me a corner suite, and the clerk apologized profusely and explained to me that the conventioner paid them a lot of money and pretty much booked the entire hotel. They put me in an Executive Suite on the Club Floor (which I still found cozy) for the night, but the next morning, immediately contacted me and moved me to my usual Club corner suite ^

This hotel is absolutely one of my favorite hotels. They really deserve recognition. Please add any other information you find helpful and share you experiences.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Nice, thorough review, Bliss!

And, I completely concur with your sentiments about this hotel 5 years ago, it was still a well managed property, but there were some real disappointments in the hotel's failure to renovate and remodel ALL guest rooms on a frequent (or as needed) basis.

But, all that's behind us now and I'm in agreement that this aged Sheraton (the largest hotel in New England!) does just about the very best job it could possibly do on a consistent basis. I don't know what better compliment I could give to a Sheraton Hotel.

It 'aint the Four Seasons, but for an old Sheraton, it really does an exceptional job.

As a side note, I know this hotel has some employees working for them with phenomenal longevity -- some of the staff has been there 40+ years.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:12 am

Thanks for very comprehensive report. You make the hotel sound most appealing.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:15 am
Suspended

quite the review, bliss. kudos.

i will say that i enjoy the convenience of staying at the sheraton/westin copley properties. you really can't get more convenient in terms of...everything (mass transportation, shopping, restaurants, accessibility to fenway park (yuck), south end, copley, etc.).

random thoughts: while i haven't stayed at the property in ages, i remember it has a fantastic gym. the hotel also has check-in kiosks which i like. they are also important because, from what i remember, the lines at the front desk were monstrous the last time i was there.

having said that: 1) i really like the new westin waterside (or whatever it's called) in boston. it's not as convenient but it's new and the beds are fantastic. and 2) one of my best friends just moved to boston and has a great two-bedroom apartment in copley, so i won't need a hotel in boston any longer. rats.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I stayed there on Wednesday and it was quite nice. I seem to recall that the room I selected, from the kiosk description, was called a King Suite. There were also signs for Internet+Phone for $15, but I didn't try Internet alone to check the $9.99 cost (I have an aircard).

The lounge was quite nice - one of the better ones I've been to. The Marriott that I was supposed to stay in wanted $359, the Sheraton was $133 and closer to where I needed to be.

Other than the 40 teenagers that jammed themselves into the room next door, and the kiosk not coding my key for the lounge forcing a trip downstairs, it was a great stay.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
While I truly appreciate and agree with how well the Sheraton Boston treats Platinums, I had an experience there on a stay this year that made me take pause (which I detailed in another thread).

In short, you may want to avoid the floors adjacent to the pool. The moisture, according to the hotel staff who came to deal with the creature I found in my closet, clinging to my dress shirt (apparently having gotten a ride on a housekeeping cart), is attractive to cockroaches. Nothing serious, but a bit disconcerting if you happen across one.

Other than that, I've found the Sheraton Boston a convenient and less expensive alternative to the Westin Copley Place on my trips to Boston.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Dec 8, 2007 at 8:09 am Reason: Added thread link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.