Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Old Sep 30, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: starwood gold,hilton silver
Hi,

Anyone have any experience staying in a "spectacular" room? maybe any recent experience or has anyone checked out the remodeled room? I believe it is 200sf

thanks
Old Sep 30, 2008, 4:33 pm

Is there anything specific you'd like to know?

Originally Posted by springres
Hi,

Anyone have any experience staying in a "spectacular" room? maybe any recent experience or has anyone checked out the remodeled room? I believe it is 200sf

thanks
Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:28 pm

Recent Trip Report

Stayed at the W NY recently. I have stayed there a handful of times but this was the first time I was lied to by the front desk staff. I never check up to see if they are telling the truth about suites, I just accept it for what it is. However, this woman was surly and I had a feeling she was not being truthful. So I got to my tiny room which would have been fine had the hotel actually been sold out or the standard suites all gone. However when I called SPG I was told there were "plenty of rooms available." More than 25 I ask. She says "yes." I say how about standard suites for sale. She says 4.

I go down and ask to speak to the front of the house manager who was in a meeting. I ended up speaking with an HR person (I didn't seek her out, she found me), who was very nice and relyed my concerns to the other manager. He called me a few minutes later, and offered me a suite. I don't know if it was a standard suite or not. I have had bigger suites at this property, so it might have been a standard. Room was fine except for the no curtain/blinds in the bedroom on the glass door to the balcony! The door was right at the foot of the bed. It looked like there used to be something attached to the door, but had broken off and no one bothered to fix it. I realized this after midnight and since I only was staying one night I sucked up the 6AM sunlight wakeup call.

I probably won't choose to stay there again, but if the price is right or I have colleagues staying there, I would consider it.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:38 pm

hi broadwayboy,

specifically will it fit a rollaway if it has a queen sz bed? and does it have a table and chair?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:47 pm

Most rooms have queen sized beds and non-suite rooms will not be able to accommodate a roll away. Even some regular suites are quite small and will not be able to fit a roll away.

There is an oversized armless desk chair and a glass-top working desk. Due to size of regular rooms, there is no lounge chair, but there is an ottoman tucked under the luggage rack that you can pull close to the desk chair.

Hope that helps.

hi broadwayboy,

specifically will it fit a rollaway if it has a queen sz bed? and does it have a table and chair?
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Room was fine except for the no curtain/blinds in the bedroom on the glass door to the balcony! The door was right at the foot of the bed. It looked like there used to be something attached to the door, but had broken off and no one bothered to fix it. I realized this after midnight and since I only was staying one night I sucked up the 6AM sunlight wakeup call.
That happened to me this summer at the new Westin Reston (VA) and I can tell you, it was miserable. There should be NO excuse for any well run hotel to have exterior glass (window/door) that does not have light-blocking blinds or curtains. Like you, I was forced to get up around 5:40am on the day of a long international flight out of IAD. Not pretty. I hope you took the time to lodge a clear complaint about the lack of window treatment.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:51 pm

hi broadwayboy!thank you for the info.

I am kind of worried now because when I called and requested a rollaway, they said they would accomodate a rollaway in a spectacular room which I will have along with a queen bed. I wonder if maybe it may be a corner room which might be larger.

Last edited by springres; Sep 30, 2008 at 11:40 pm
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:09 am

hi broadwayboy,

There may be some rooms that can accomodate a roll away, but other than suites I haven't seen one. Actually now that I think of it, I'm not sure the suite I had last time would have fit a rollaway, without having to crawl over it to leave the room. If it did fit, it would have been tight.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 1:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, SPG Corporate Preferred
The new suites

Has anybody been in the newly renovated suites, more specifically the Fantastic suite?

Last edited by DUKEswoosh; Oct 8, 2008 at 1:54 am
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:39 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Can anybody advise if this place is still the dump it was in past years or if it is improving?

Would anyone chose this place over the Sheraton Towers or Manhattan?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:07 pm

What to expect ....

I have three nights at the W NY on Lexington.
I'll share the experience when I return.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what to expect or ask to improve the stay beyond a "Fantastic Suite" ?

Does it matter how much I'm spending per night?

Thanks,
Old Jan 5, 2009, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Originally Posted by GVA
Can anybody advise if this place is still the dump it was in past years or if it is improving?

Would anyone chose this place over the Sheraton Towers or Manhattan?
If you get an upgraded room, this hotel is quite nice if you like W's (if you're 25 and like a crowded bar in the lobby and dark hallways).

If you don't get an upgraded room, you'll be sleeping in a shoebox.

That having been said, the room I had at the Towers on my last stay was worse than the small room at the W.

Next trip, I'm trying the Parker Meridien.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:03 am
oc1

Programs: SPG Platinum, United 1K.
Is a Mega Room okay at this property? I was originally booked as Cozy, so glad to see Mega on my reservation now.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:32 am

Checked my reservation for Sunday's 3 night stay and found I was upgraded to the Fantastic Suite... AWESOME.

Any tips on how I might ask for a Spa, Marvelous, Wow or Extreme Wow suites?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:58 pm

we just returned from a week long stay there. We got a corner room that had 3 windows and was not too small as I expected I am guessing because it was a corner room. The view was of other rooftoops nothing to write home about. on our 6th day, We saw a rat in our room. First I saw something go real fast on the carpet and than I saw it again and screamed and stood on top of the bed. My kid locked herself in the bathroom. I manuevered to get the phone while on the bed and called and they wanted to know what color was the rat? huh!! I said black and than they asked if we would like to be moved and I said yes unless you can catch the rat. So they bought over the new room keys and the guy who brought the room keys also saw the mouse while getting our bags. He was trying to get out of the room so fast with my bag but I told him I still had to pack and please wait so I packed really fast hoping I did not forget anything there. Fortunately, I only had 2 bags. I threw all the clothes from the hanger into my bag and I followed him while dragging my daughter out with me. When we arrived to our room, it was a suite with a patio. WOW. It was so pretty and large. Huge living room,bathroom with jacuzzi,The patio was very large. Unfortunately, we only stayed a day in the suite but it was nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.