Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[GONE April 2018] W New York Lexington Ave [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi DC

Interested in what class of room you stayed in ?

Also was it one of the renovated rooms ?

Many Thanks

Steve
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I stayed in one of the "Cozy Rooms" on the 7th floor. I assume it was renovated because everything looked very new (i.e. the furniture was not scratched as mentioned in the other threads and there was a new-ish looking television and sliding doors separating the bathroom from the bedroom). I didn't see any signs of renovations going on -- I wonder if they are finished?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:39 pm

Programs: Starwood, Hilton, Marriot
First post here. In fact, I just register to ask this. Very, very simple question...

W New York, W Times Square or... *gasp* Hampton Inn on 8th?

I normally stay at the W Times Square and do like it a lot. My only 2 complaints are rather minor. One is the size of the room, but I have always gotten corner units, so it really never bothered me much. The other one is that there is no coffee maker in the rooms and I despise room service (don't laugh at me). I usually am in a rush in the morning and a quick, cheap, lousy coffee is still better than nothing and starts my day just right. Not at the W Times Square. But, like I said, I have no "real" complaints about this hotel. The hotel decor is VERY nice. I like the waterfall entrance and the lounge on the 7th floor a whole lot. And the whole elevator layout.

I am going to be in NYC next week again, but I booked at the last minute and the rate for the W Times Square was simply out of my budget, so I booked myself at both the W New York and the Hampton Inn Times Square on 8th. The W New York looks really nice in photos, just like the W Times Square. And I normally would not consider the Hampton, but I like that this one is close to 9th where all the restaurants are and the photos on their website are actually pretty nice too, so I said why not and booked myself there too.

I obviously need to cancel one of the two at least 24 hours before, but I was wondering if the W New York is really not as good as the W Times Square and I should try giving customer care or the hotel itself a call to see if they can move my reservation to the W Times Square for the same rate or maybe the rate I got there the last time, which is higher than the W New York, but still within my budget.

What do you guys think? I am a regular member, whatever that's called. Preferred? Well, that.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 2:59 pm

Ah, something I forgot to add and may make a difference here. I stayed at the W Times Square last week and already have another reservation for 8/10-8/14 at the same hotel. It's just this 7/27-7/31 stay that I booked too late, so I ended up at the W New York.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Hi Razor

One area I can help you with. WTS always used to have coffee makers in the room but decided to remove them. If you need one, just ask whatever/whenever and they will bring one to your room. This was my experience in early July.

If you do stay at W Lexington I would be interested to hear your impressions, it has always been badly reviewed but has a room renovation program in progress, due to complete at the end of August.

Steve
Old Jul 25, 2008, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by 12steve34
One area I can help you with. WTS always used to have coffee makers in the room but decided to remove them. If you need one, just ask whatever/whenever and they will bring one to your room. This was my experience in early July.
Good tip. Thank you. I'll definitely do this the next time.

I will definitely come back and share my experience if I do end up staying at the W New York.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
New Manager,new rooms=new life for the lexington Ave. W

Just had the pleasure of meeting the New General Manager of the W Lexington
Ave Ed Maynard-what a turn around this is going to mean for this property ^
Mr.Maynard was transfered from a great W in NYC to bring this property up to snuff-and he is excited and eager to get the word out.
He took a few of us on a tour of several of the room types all of which have received a thorough remodel.They look fantastic.

The service issues of the past are front and center in Mr. Maynards mind it would seem.He expects the staff to start taking pride of their new surroundings and feels that pride will result in much better treatment of guests than has been the case in the past.

I think the dedication and enthusiasm Mr. Maynard brings to this property will be evident immediately
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA and HH
I live a few blocks away from this hotel and frequently go to the bar there. The scenery is always great and the bartender there is an 11.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Just had the pleasure of meeting the New General Manager of the W Lexington
Ave Ed Maynard-what a turn around this is going to mean for this property ^
Mr.Maynard was transfered from a great W in NYC to bring this property up to snuff-and he is excited and eager to get the word out.
He took a few of us on a tour of several of the room types all of which have received a thorough remodel.They look fantastic.

The service issues of the past are front and center in Mr. Maynards mind it would seem.He expects the staff to start taking pride of their new surroundings and feels that pride will result in much better treatment of guests than has been the case in the past.

I think the dedication and enthusiasm Mr. Maynard brings to this property will be evident immediately
You beat me to it
For those of us who have stayed in the past and had a bad experience. I say, try again. Ed was a delight to meet, is very excited and brings great enthusiasm to the property. He is a very visible manager who despite a short three weeks on the job, is already very close with the front-line staff.

Some of the rooms not available on the internet are simply stunning; surprisingly ample outdoor spaces (with pool tables, chaises, etc.). would be a wonderful place to host an elegant party. The renovation in all room categories is very mindful of the small sizes of many of the rooms; the new small rooms feel much more spacious and comfortable.

Thanks again to Ed for his gracious hospitality, and Chris from Starwood for putting together such a lovely evening.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Any indication if SPG Elites--especially Plats--can look forward to better recognition?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA 3MMF EXP, UA 1MMF
While Ed was not the GM at the time, I gave this hotel a second chance and regretted every minute. With SO many choices in NYC (Starwood and otherwise) why would anyone return to a hotel that had tiny rooms (not much they can do to change that) and terrible service (what is Ed going to do, fire all the people who work there? Give them big raises to be courteous and helpful? Doubtful). Maybe he should give them a $100 bonus for every dirty tray they pick up in the hallway.

On our first visit, we were so unhappy (too many incidents to list) that the GM at the time moved us to the penthouse suite, with outdoor balcony, etc. and comped our stay. Sure it was awesome (except for the cockroaches I killed), but it's not the room I can normally afford or be willing to pay for. My return was a pitiful "suite" and the service was worse than the first visit.

Never again, no matter how great the new GM is.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, SPG Corporate Preferred
Best way to contact the GM for W New York in advance

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new to the SPG part of FT. How does one contact Ed Maynard (GM) for this property?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by DUKEswoosh
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new to the SPG part of FT. How does one contact Ed Maynard (GM) for this property?
I did a quick google and came up with: [email protected]
Old Sep 28, 2008, 2:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Delta SkyMiles Platinum Medallion, SPG Corporate Preferred
The new Mega rooms

Thanks so much for that info! I appreciate it. Has anyone stayed at/seen the new mega rooms? If so, I'd appreciate a run-down on what to expect. Thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I am unsure of the W categories-but we did see one of the upgraded large room(I am guessing this would be a standard upgrade for golds or Plats if they were busy)and it was fine.New bed,New TV/audio system,I belive it was a shower only bathroom.Room was NYC small but not claustrophobic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.